Author Topic: Trade Nash instead of Amare...  (Read 3222 times)

Trade Nash instead of Amare...
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
As much as I think this would make the Lakers way too good, I made this trade to make more sense than trading Stoudemire. Nash, who has opening talked about leaving for Toronto, but has yet to be looked down upon with those comments, will end up closer to home to end his career. So why not trade for him. So

Lamar Odom, Jordan Farmar, and Sun Yue w/ Cash   for   

Steve Nash and Grant Hill(angry and wants out)

Phoenix gets 1 nice PG w/potential and another prospect, plus Odom to play every position next to Shaq and Amare. The team would prosper more than it is now.

LA gets a more effective PG to let Fisher lead the bench, and an experienced SF that could compliment Kobe and share minutes with Ariza
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Trade Nash instead of Amare...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
As much as I think this would make the Lakers way too good, I made this trade to make more sense than trading Stoudemire. Nash, who has opening talked about leaving for Toronto, but has yet to be looked down upon with those comments, will end up closer to home to end his career. So why not trade for him. So

Lamar Odom, Jordan Farmar, and Sun Yue w/ Cash   for   

Steve Nash and Grant Hill(angry and wants out)

Phoenix gets 1 nice PG w/potential and another prospect, plus Odom to play every position next to Shaq and Amare. The team would prosper more than it is now.

LA gets a more effective PG to let Fisher lead the bench, and an experienced SF that could compliment Kobe and share minutes with Ariza

Laker's loose their 6th man and gain a starting 3.  Walton now moves to the bench.  This weakens the Lakers bench as they loose their most versatile player and a guy who facilitiates their passing game.  They also now have a bench w/3 SF (Walton, Rad, Ariza) and no back up PF. 

They also loose energy off the bench in Farmar but this is probably negligible becuase they replace it with a vet in Fisher.  They do gain Nash who is an excellent offensive player & could improve the Laker's starting offense.  He has also never played outside of a run & gun fast break team and is allergic to defense.  I'd love to see Phil play Kobe against Rondo and Nash against Ray in the finals.  Ray would score 50 points a night. 

If I'm the Suns you are trading the face of your franchise for a 3rd-4th option and a PG with upside and a guy w/no experience.  I do agree that the Suns if they are going to rebuild are going to need to get rid of Nash, but I'd rather see a large expiring contract coming back than a player like Odom.  This gets them far enough under the cap to be competitive in 2010 surrounding Amare with FA talent. 

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:47:36 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Does the triangle offense really require such a good PG like Nash? I thought it required the PG to be more of a spot up shooter when the ball was passed to him. Just not sure how much of an upgrade Nash is over Fisher given the type of offense the Lakers run and how it's mostly Kobe controling things.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:31 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
As much as I hate to say it, I think Fisher is one of the most underrated PGs in the league, and has been for quite a while. Every night he goes out and shoots extremely well regardless of whether he is spotting up or creating for himself (and he is more than capable of taking it to the rim and stopping for a J or laying it up/getting to the line when he is so inclined). He compliments Kobe very nicely, he can run an offense more than adequately and he also plays solid D. I don't think he could find himself a better situation than where the Lakers are right now, and what's more, he looks great in short shorts ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
In the half court, having nash isn't going to really help their triangle (imo). Open court having nash and kobe would be fun to watch.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
They've been playing better defense this year.  Nash is the last thing they need to come in and ruin that.
do it

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
They've been playing better defense this year.  Nash is the last thing they need to come in and ruin that.

In that case, I'm all for LA acquiring Nash. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think the Lakers themselves would need a PG for the future in a year or 2 if they made this trade.  Both Nash and Fisher are about 34 and will soon be on the downslope of their careers.  I think the vet Fisher with the energy Farmer brings off the bench works well for them.   They are probably grooming Farmer to be the starter someday to go along with the core of Gasol, Bynun, and Kobe for the next 5 years.

If the Lakers added Grant Hill they would have too many 3's on their team with him, Walton, Rad, and Ariza.   At least Odom can play multiple positions and diversify their offense. 

In the end it's very hard for rivals to make a trade of this nature in season when they are both fighting for playoff position so I don't see it happening anyway.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The lakers would be much better if they made this trade.  But why would Phoenix do it?  Odom's value isn't very high at this point.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Seems like New York would be a perfect fit for Nash.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
What about swapping Nash and Barbosa for J Kidd and some draft pick.  That could work out for both teams.  The Mavericks might hesitate because Kidd hasn't even been there for a full year and it could disrupt the team chemistry, but Nash and Dirk are great friends and it might bring the whole team closer together.  Lets be honest, this current Mav's team is not winning a chip.

The Sun's could do it for financial reasons.  They get rid of Barbosa's big contract (he is said to be unhappy there).  And they will still be a competitive team this year with Kidd running the show (although he got torched by Rondo he plays much better D than Nash) while picking up a draft pick and freeing up some cap space for 2010 when they will have a lot of money. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.