Author Topic: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...  (Read 40938 times)

Re: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2009, 11:40:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
This is going back almost 10 years but the best weekend of basketball I ever played was in a 3 on 3 tournament.  I'm only 5'9" but have a little bit of Kenny Anderson in my game (lefty as well) and that weekend it seemed like everything came together for me.  Our team made it to the final 4 teams out of a 150 teams before losing and I was proud because there was no way our team should have made it that far and I was neck and neck with a teammate for leading scorer.

Due to lack of height I concentrated on other sports as well like soccer.  My best high school soccer moment was bending the ball and scoring on a corner kick over the goalie's head in a closely contested game.  Something rare and that I'll remember. 

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
In a basketball game?

I ask because I'm an arrogant tool and I really just wanted an excuse to tell you all that in my game last night, I scored 34 points while grabbing 8 boards and dishing out 7 assists. I also really wanted to make it known that in addition to those numbers, I had a blocked shot and 3 steals, one of which came with 30 seconds left and my team up by 2. Ballgame.

Sorry. I'm done tooting my own horn. I'd like to hear about other CBer's and their epic performances, now.

So tell me, C's blog, what's the best game you've ever played?

What was the best play of your career?

Did anyone ever triple-double?

Dunk in traffic?

Block a shot to save a game?

Let me hear the glory stories!

/Rondo

Are we talking NBA 2K9 here?  ;D

No, I'm actually a serious athlete. I train regularly. Last friday was the best game of my life, but I didn't want to make a big deal about it around the people that I see everyday. Let the actions speak for themselves, y'know? I thought it would make me look cool.

But, like I said in the IP, I'm an arrogant tool and it turns out I really needed to share my feat and brag about it. I know. I'm lame. But at least I was telling the truth. I was hoping to hear some interesting stories of past playing days, or see if there were any other (currently) really committed athletes on CelticsBlog. It turns out there are a few, but there are a lot of people who have turned this thread into something I kiiind of don't really want to be associated with. Whether its people with 3 posts creating accounts just to chime in with "I dropped 78 and then 100 and I never missed" posts, or people just kind of mocking the thread itself (justifiably so, I guess... its become less than believable) I' just not all that happy with how this thread is going.

Please, if you have a legitimate story that's interesting, post it, but if you're thinking about throwing a BS one-liner out there, keep it to yourself.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
In a basketball game?

I ask because I'm an arrogant tool and I really just wanted an excuse to tell you all that in my game last night, I scored 34 points while grabbing 8 boards and dishing out 7 assists. I also really wanted to make it known that in addition to those numbers, I had a blocked shot and 3 steals, one of which came with 30 seconds left and my team up by 2. Ballgame.

Sorry. I'm done tooting my own horn. I'd like to hear about other CBer's and their epic performances, now.

So tell me, C's blog, what's the best game you've ever played?

What was the best play of your career?

Did anyone ever triple-double?

Dunk in traffic?

Block a shot to save a game?

Let me hear the glory stories!

/Rondo

Are we talking NBA 2K9 here?  ;D

No, I'm actually a serious athlete. I train regularly. Last friday was the best game of my life, but I didn't want to make a big deal about it around the people that I see everyday. Let the actions speak for themselves, y'know? I thought it would make me look cool.

But, like I said in the IP, I'm an arrogant tool and it turns out I really needed to share my feat and brag about it. I know. I'm lame. But at least I was telling the truth. I was hoping to hear some interesting stories of past playing days, or see if there were any other (currently) really committed athletes on CelticsBlog. It turns out there are a few, but there are a lot of people who have turned this thread into something I kiiind of don't really want to be associated with. Whether its people with 3 posts creating accounts just to chime in with "I dropped 78 and then 100 and I never missed" posts, or people just kind of mocking the thread itself (justifiably so, I guess... its become less than believable) I' just not all that happy with how this thread is going.

Please, if you have a legitimate story that's interesting, post it, but if you're thinking about throwing a BS one-liner out there, keep it to yourself.
Eh, most of it is just people trying to be funny. I think the thread is a good one - a lot of people had some pretty interesting stories to tell, and I really don't see why anyone would lie about these things anyway. Why lie to someone you don't even know personally? What would a person be gaining from that? TP for starting an awesome thread.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I think a lot of people have responded in
a good way to this thread. Like Toine said,
people are just trying to be funny. There
are a lot of other ways to mock people in
these threads, if that's what posters want.
I do think, however, that most of the members
have responded well. As far as having a thread
going in a certain direction, that's always
diificult. We're all different and we want a
lot of different things. Take it for what it is.

I'll give you a TP for a good  thread and also
because of that great game you had  :)

(Edit: Spelling)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:13:43 AM by Amager Celtic Fan »

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
these threads, if that's what posters what.

...and since this is an anonymous website where most of us are a bunch of faceless screen names, people can easily lie.

i went to college with a guy who, after our intramural games were over, he'd come back to our dorm and write his "recollection" of his statistics on a piece of posterboard he hung on his wall and reviewed day after day.  ::)

i get the impression we may have a few of those types here...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2009, 12:45:13 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
these threads, if that's what posters what.

...and since this is an anonymous website where most of us are a bunch of faceless screen names, people can easily lie.

i went to college with a guy who, after our intramural games were over, he'd come back to our dorm and write his "recollection" of his statistics on a piece of posterboard he hung on his wall and reviewed day after day.  ::)

i get the impression we may have a few of those types here...

Very true.
My "career" high was 19, that must sound plausible  ;)

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2009, 01:06:02 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
To Toine, Amager, and AJ:

Thanks for your kind words, TPs, and humor. You guys are the bright side of this thread, along with EJPLAYA and I'm sure sure some other posters. Of course people are just trying to be funny (except for a few, who obviously are the kind of people who write their intramural stats on a bulletin board... right Jick?). I'm just overreacting because this thread is my baby, and I don't want to see it PERVERTED BY SICKOS!!

whoa. sorry. didn't see that little outburst coming. ;D

TPs all around. 

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I have a lot of my stats saved in spreadsheets, so I just looked over them.

My most impressive averages were probably from a 2007 church league when I averaged the following:

8.71 PPG / 11.86 RPB / 8.57 APG

So I was pretty close to a triple double as an average.  I only actually had one triple double that season which was 14/15/22.  That 22 assists is a career high.  I don’t normally play point guard, as I don’t handle the ball well against pressure, though I do see the floor very well and pass very well.  That night though, our point guard couldn’t make the game, so I handled the ball all night, and thankfully, the other team were short handed too, so they didn’t waste energy pressuring me when I had the ball.  Most of my assists actually came from me posting up, then kicking it out.

That game featured a lot of ridiculous stats:  My teammate (that got me all the assists), had 54 points, and a guy on the other team had 48.  If that wasn’t enough, the guy that scored 48 had set a league record the previous week with nine 3 pointers in a game, and in this game, he had twelve 3 pointers!!!

I also averaged 3 BPG and 1.43 SPG that season.

My career high in points is 45 which I had twice in back to back games while playing/living in Scotland while playing in a 9 game series against another high school.  I also shot 85% in that series and got MVP despite our team losing.  I’ve averaged over 20 a game before, but I’d rather pass than score, especially these days.  I also pride myself on my defense more than anything.  I never get a lot of steals, but do get a lot of blocks despite being only 6’1”, and I’ve been in double figures for blocks at least twice, though don’t have those exact numbers recorded.

Admittedly, all this isn’t against great competition.

To bring me back down to earth, I’m currently averaging 5.3/5.0/2.3 in a league, and am far from comfortable at the moment after spraining my ankle a few weeks ago.  …. And I have plenty awful games and awful averages to balance this out, but that’s not what this thread is about 

And I can back some of this up (not that I think it's anything too amazing) with websites that still have some statistics posted, or I could even share my spreadsheets.

I know I can play the game a high level, but it’s all about confidence for me, and that comes from playing a lot – unfortunately I never have enough time these days to play as much as I’d like.

Fun thread.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline CountChockula

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think its funny that people keep stats in pick up games ;D...and how do you do that yourself without losing focus? Do you have someone on the sideline keeping stats for you?

I've played ball since 3rd grade at St.Andrews in JP then at Catholic Memorial and then Emerson College. So I've played in a few. But my most memoriable was when I was in 7th grade and I dropped 53pts in the Rosindale Muni league!!!
I was chompin' em up like Pac Man!!!!

But my best stat is when my jv team sophmore year went undefeated 19-0, Catholic Conference Champs!! Now thats a stat!

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I totally forgot a game... My most fun moment in a game though was when I was playing intramurals in HS and I had gotten cut that year from the squad. The coach was new and my teacher earlier that year and let's just say we didn't see eye to eye in his class and that was the end of that season...

We were in the championship game against a team of the teachers which included our principal, a few others and the coach. My buddy who was the starting PG on the team didn't really get along with the coach either, so we were both looking for a little revenge. I matched up against the coach, and proceeded to drop 35 on him. My buddy kept feeding me and I was on. At the end of the game I overhear the principal asking the coach why I didn't try out for ball that year and it all came together listening to him explain with his head down that I did but he cut me... The principal just shook his head and walked off. Kind of vindicated me for the year. (He cut me the next year as well!!)

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I totally forgot a game... My most fun moment in a game though was when I was playing intramurals in HS and I had gotten cut that year from the squad. The coach was new and my teacher earlier that year and let's just say we didn't see eye to eye in his class and that was the end of that season...

We were in the championship game against a team of the teachers which included our principal, a few others and the coach. My buddy who was the starting PG on the team didn't really get along with the coach either, so we were both looking for a little revenge. I matched up against the coach, and proceeded to drop 35 on him. My buddy kept feeding me and I was on. At the end of the game I overhear the principal asking the coach why I didn't try out for ball that year and it all came together listening to him explain with his head down that I did but he cut me... The principal just shook his head and walked off. Kind of vindicated me for the year. (He cut me the next year as well!!)

Hahahahaha, that's hilarious. You win. Big time. Too bad about the cutting, though.

I'm posting again because I just played another game tonight (or technically, last night... it is thursday now) where I collected my career high in rebounds. I grabbed 14 boards and scored 17 points, which I think is a pretty good performance.... then again, I'm the point guard and I only had 2 assists against 6 turnovers  :-\. Fail.

But we won!

... but the team we played was 2-12....

oh well. Maybe not the best game, but still CAREER HIGH so yeah, yay, awesome.

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Hahahahaha, that's hilarious. You win. Big time. Too bad about the cutting, though.

I'm posting again because I just played another game tonight (or technically, last night... it is thursday now) where I collected my career high in rebounds. I grabbed 14 boards and scored 17 points, which I think is a pretty good performance.... then again, I'm the point guard and I only had 2 assists against 6 turnovers  :-\. Fail.

But we won!

... but the team we played was 2-12....

oh well. Maybe not the best game, but still CAREER HIGH so yeah, yay, awesome.

Nothing wrong with that! Especially since even bad teams can rebound if they are hustling. Much more impressive IMO to put up boards and blocked shots than to score because it is a lot more about timing and desire than scoring. That 44 point game was against a bad team that from the sound of it anyone on here could have put up. 14 boards and Toine's 15 (or 17?) blocks are what wins ballgames.

It was a tough year knowing I should have been playing but I guess that is what I get for acting up in class! My oldest son just started HS and plays Lacrosse, and I have been able to stress the need to be on the coaches good side... Hopefully it helps him.

Great outing. Sounds like Tommy would have given you a TP if he was at the game so I wil give you one in his place!

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think its funny that people keep stats in pick up games ;D...and how do you do that yourself without losing focus? Do you have someone on the sideline keeping stats for you?

For me personally, I've been lucky enough to be in league's where the quality of statistics kept is higher than the quality of the actual play :)  I have a church league where they do online box scores, recaps, and pictures.  For a lot of other league's, I've had family friends on the sideline keeping track of the basics, but I also have probably 30-40 games on tape, and I've made my own box scores from that.... It takes a while to do it for the whole team, or both teams (lot of rewinding to watch a play again where a lot of things happen at once), but I'm a stats freak.  I don't actually care how good my numbers are, but I do care what they are.  It just interests me.  Winning is first of course.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

For me personally, I've been lucky enough to be in league's where the quality of statistics kept is higher than the quality of the actual play :)  I have a church league where they do online box scores, recaps, and pictures.  For a lot of other league's, I've had family friends on the sideline keeping track of the basics, but I also have probably 30-40 games on tape, and I've made my own box scores from that.... It takes a while to do it for the whole team, or both teams (lot of rewinding to watch a play again where a lot of things happen at once), but I'm a stats freak.  I don't actually care how good my numbers are, but I do care what they are.  It just interests me.  Winning is first of course.

I was helping a friend out last night running the scoreboard for 4th and 5th grade rec hoops.  The 4th grade weren't supposed have any score kept and it was running 16 minute halves (except for timeouts, fouls shots and mandatory subs every five minutes)...So, I'm thinking "no score seems sort of casual, but so be it"....Well, with like 4 minutes to go in the game I forgot to stop the clock on a free throw and one of the coaches screams from across the floor, "CLOCK".  I nodded a bit of an OK, sorry...and signaled I'd withhold 10 seconds from the start of the next play. 

After the game the coach comes over and says, "Whoosh, close one, but we pulled it out 19-18."  So now I have the picture...The town decided 4th graders shouldn't keep score, but the 4th graders coach figured it was a good idea anyhow (thus the fuss over 10 seconds in a close game).

I agree...the game should be scored (especially if it's happening anyhow).  It was fun to get involved at some level with hoops again.  I miss it.

Side note.  One of the refs was a Cincy Reds farmhand.  He played for the Chatham A's a couple years back and is killing some before spring training.  Nice kid.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Derrik%20Lutz&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502000

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:43:20 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
My best game where stats were actually recorded was during my Senior year in High School sometime during February of 1999. It was Senior night because it was our last home game of the regular season. We were facing one of our closest rivals on this night and I was pumped to get it started.

This was not the best team I had been on in my four years a Varsity player as during my soph and junior year we went 16-4 and 18-2 but this was my team. I was pretty much the only full time basketball player left in the school at this point as the others on my team during this season were more soccer and baseball players. So it was up to me to bring it on pretty much every night.

Anyhow, on this night I had a great game statistically and otherwise. I really had a hatred (high school neighboring town type of hatred where you actually know/parited with the players and dont like them for whatever reason) for the opposing team and that upped my adrenaline level so much that I felt like i was flying around the court.

I dont remember too much of the game other than a couple plays but i remember coming out in the second half and getting a steal around half court and going up for a dunk when i was fouled pretty hard and got the and 1. The dunk was only a partial dunk but the ball went in. I then made the free throw and stoel the in bounds pass and hit a three. We ended up pulling away in the second half on our way to a 15+ point victory.

My final stat line was something along the line of:

31 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 blocks.

I never got the chance to see the tape of this game but if i ever run into my high school coach again i think i may just have to ask him for it. When i think back on that game i think of how I could have put up even better numbers that night but just wanted to win the game so badly that i was doing anything to win. We ended the season at 12-8 with very minimal talent and size. Ended up losing in the conference tourney by 1 point and by about 5 at home in the state tourney. Was a fun season though and I sure did take alot of shots that year.