Author Topic: What's Wrong with GP?  (Read 9684 times)

Re: What's Wrong with GP?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I have just been forced to conclude GP is a bitter (and hypocritical) old man. No other explanation. Can't call out anyone for lucking out onto a ring.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
he should change his name to stephen a. payton... :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
I defiantly missed Charles last night. I havent liked Gary since I saw him first on NBA TV.
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
GP is just selfish guy, he ruins everything he touches. I started laughing when he said Duncan doesn't deserve to start & Amare does. That alone explains his lack of knowledge about the game he played. At least Charles made sense when he spoke, but GP is a washed up player that hates on everyone.

Dam TNT bring charles back.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:21:19 PM by Change »

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
maybe TNT ought to get gary payton liquored up before he takes his seat in studio...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
all i think of when GP goes on his rants-

"Im the most diabolical hater of all time"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:02:47 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
GP should also get a suit that fits. Maybe TNT can give him an advance to pay a decent tailor.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think that he is ticked off at the Celtics for not letting him ride their coattails to a championship last season.  Remember he wanted to sign with the C's, but DA said thanks, but no thanks?  Every since then all the negative stuff has been about the Celtics.  First Rondo is overrated, KG shouldn't start and now an ex-Celtic (Al Jefferson) is better than Tim Duncan.  So I guess GP thinks Jefferson is better than KG too. ::)
He feels he was better than J.Stockton also...seem mad at America and the media for always choosing Stockton over him.He has some after playing days issues.(imo)

Payton was the best point guard of his generation.   I'd take him over Stockton. 

Re: What's Wong with GP?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
GP's words tells why he never won a championship as a young player,only on the backside of his career as a role player.He never understood that team work is more important to win than an indiviual's stats.

The above comment sheds a little light on why Payton might feel bitter.  He played in Seattle his entire prime... was absolutely incredible... and people don't respect him, because not enough people watched him play.

And now he will not even get to have his number raised in the rafters with a group of fans who actually watched what he was capable of...

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
GP's words tells why he never won a championship as a young player,only on the backside of his career as a role player.He never understood that team work is more important to win than an indiviual's stats.

The above comment sheds a little light on why Payton might feel bitter.  He played in Seattle his entire prime... was absolutely incredible... and people don't respect him, because not enough people watched him play.

And now he will not even get to have his number raised in the rafters with a group of fans who actually watched what he was capable of...

Awwwwww, poor baby. Hard to have much sympathy for someone who's such an obvious jerk

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Awwwwww, poor baby. Hard to have much sympathy for someone who's such an obvious jerk

Heck yeah he was a jerk.  He was fierce... a punk... a competitor... and the best point guard of his generation.

He was like a mini KG, really.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Heck yeah he was a jerk.  He was fierce... a punk... a competitor... and the best point guard of his generation.

Kg does not appear to touch GP in the off the court jerk department. on the court, i see your point though.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Kg does not appear to touch GP in the off the court jerk department. on the court, i see your point though.

We haven't heard KG try to commentate... so who knows.   

But I'm tellin ya... I refuse to disrespect Gary Payton.  The guy really doesn't seem to get enough respect.  Kinda sad that he's one of the greatest players of all time and his fanbase is dead... people on the east coast probably remember him more in his short little post-prime stints with the Lakers, Celtics and Heat.     That Gary Payton on the mid 90s Sonics teams that nobody outside of Seattle really watched...  he was a god.

And btw... not that I have to mention this, but... back to housecall's original quote...  the reason why Payton never won a championship as a young player had nothing to do with him focusing on stats/not understanding team work.  It has to do with Michael Jordan and a 72 win team colliding with Payton's 64 win Sonics.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I just want to share a depressing story before I bail on this thread.

The night the Celtics won game 6, I went out to celebrate with some friends in Seattle.   I was at some bar and some old man noted my Celtic jersey.   He goes up to me, points at my jersey and says, "I still say the Royals are better!" ...  My friends and I laughed a little.  It seemed like a weird comment, but my buddies probably just figured the old man was a big baseball fan and was making a dumb joke.   

The old mean repeated it, though... "I'm telling you the Royals are better!"   At this point I realized he was trying to be clever and figured out what he was talking about.  I answered, "I hear ya!"...

He leaned in with an incredulous look and goes, "Do you know what I'm talking about?"         

I says to him, "Of couse!  The Cincinnati Royals"

He goes, "YES!... Best Point Guard Ever!"

I goes, "Hah!  Oscar Robertson.  Sorta LeBron before LeBron, right?"

Then he bought my buddies a pitcher of beer.  He didn't expect some young whippersnapper to know what he was talking about.     

I thought it was a funny story until I realized that in 30 years... that's going to be my buddy Dan...  Sitting at some pub out of state trying to explain to some young whippersnapper about Gary Payton and the team that became the Oklahoma City Thunder.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Donnie Marshall and Gary Payton have recently proven that just because you played the game doesn't mean you know what your talking about when speaking about the game.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson