Author Topic: Tony Parker: Rondo is the most overrated PG in the NBA  (Read 19849 times)

Re: Tony Parker: Rondo is the most overrated PG in the NBA
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

Give me a break... Tony you wish you were better then Deron Williams. Parker's starting five vs. Williams's?? No contest.

Also, after the undressing Rondo alone put on Steve Nash Monday that Parker clearly didn't see, it just justifies what we've all known since World War II...

The French don't value defense.

Nice that Parker anoints himself 2nd best in the league. ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Sorry, but i have to agree with Tony's top 5. And it sounds like he was put on the spot with that overrated question.

Tony Parker put up 55, 10, and 7 in a game this year. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Tony Parker is not the 2nd best PG in the NBA, but then again I cant stand cp3 either
dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, hand it off to David west or shoot it... Chris Paul 13 assists, Hornets 15 assists...he stagnates the offense and over time will be exposed
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Parker has 1 thing he does great..which is getting to the basket on a fast break, other than that he doesnt do anything that well...hes a good scorer
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

Give me a break... Tony you wish you were better then Deron Williams. Parker's starting five vs. Williams's?? No contest.

Also, after the undressing Rondo alone put on Steve Nash Monday that Parker clearly didn't see, it just justifies what we've all known since World War II...

I saw that, nice of him to not put himself first  ::)

P.S tony, as tattered said your about 7-9th on the list. you don't belong in the top 5, which are-

1.CP3
2.D will
3. Billups
4.nash
5.harris

I mean, you might not even be 7th tony. PG's i could argue are better than you include- Mo in clevland, kidd (stretch), nelson, the aforementioned rondo, and heck, if he keeps playing this well with trash around him, rose.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP for the article cordobes and when I can another for the line about having great players to make him look better. Great line.

Tony must discount the fact that Rondo is the second best rebounding PG in the league after J Kidd, gets more assists than Tony, has a higher assist to turnover ratio than Tony, is 4th in the league in steals, and also gives the Celtics All NBA Defensive Team quality defense. Tony must also be discounting the fact that when he was the exact same age as Rajon the only statistic he had better than Rondo was PPG. His FT% that year was .650 almost the exact same percentage as Rondo's.

Really dumb thing to say about a guy you might have to play a seven game series against head to head.

March 17th, 2008  BOS @ SAS

Rondo  29 MIN, 9-18 FG, 20 PTS, 6 REB, 3 AST, 3 STL, 2 TO
Parker 37 MIN, 7-14 FG, 17 PTS, 5 REB, 8 AST, 2 STL, 1 TO

March 17th, 2007  BOS @ SAS

Rondo  34 MIN, 1-6 FG,   2 PTS, 14 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 1 TO
Parker 39 MIN, 8-14 FG, 30 PTS,  4 REB, 4 AST, 3 STL, 2 TO

January 22nd, 2007 SAS @ BOS

Rondo  32 MIN, 1-8 FG,  4 PTS, 4 REB, 7 AST, 3 STL, 3 TO
Parker 35 MIN, 6-9 FG, 15 PTS, 1 REB, 5 AST, 1 STL, 5 TO

Parker bested Rondo in Rondo's rookie year down in SA in a one on one encounter but I can't really say that in their head to head Tony has shown that he is all that much better than Rondo. Let's remember, in those 2007 games Parker had some guys to pass to and Rondo only had Pierce. LOL.

Edit: In that Jan 22nd 2007 game, Rondo didn't even have Pierce to pass to.

How do those numbers really back the case up at all?  It looks like Tony pretty much handled Rondo...
You must only be looking at points scored then because in just about every other stat in all three games Rondo was as good or better. Yeah that March 17 game in 2007 Parker scored at will on Rondo but in the other two games, I think it can be argued that the one on one matchup was a toss up. So, Parker, who professes to being the second best PG in the league can only outplay the most overrated PG in the league once out of three times. I don't think that looks to good.

Well scoring is part of the game.  1st game I would say is pretty much a wash.  2nd game, i dont see how you could argue rondo played anywhere near as well.  1-6 shooting is pretty bad, as well as allowing your man to drop 30 on you?  Rondo has the rebounds, but thats it.  It looks like he was thoroghly outplayed.  2nd game, rondo still shot 1-8 and allowed his man to shoot 66%.

Just because Rondo isnt as good a scorer as Tony Parker, doesnt mean you take it out of the equation.  Thats fairly ridiculous.  I mean Rondo scored 6 points in two games vs. Parker while giving up 45?  He shot 14% while Parker shot 61%?  Same amount of steals, assists arent that much off as are turnovers.  Hes got him in rebounds, but seriously, shooting 14% while letting your man shoot 61%?  I know like to say that scoring isnt as important when we are discussing Rondo's merits, but we cant ignore it.

Especially when Tony Parker is a scoring PG.  Thats his game, and to just dismiss it is fairly green glassed in my mind.  Parker is clearly a better pg than rondo and has had a much better career.  Only pg in the nba id rather have is Chris Paul. The rings dont lie, the finals MVP doesnt lie.  When Duncan retires, and Parker inherits the team, Parker will be up at 25-26 ppg. 

I dont agree with his comments, but hey i dont think there is any way you can objectively say that Rondo is better, or that Tony Parker didnt handle him in those games...
Stats don't lie but neither do the facts. Facts are Parker at the time he played Rondo two of those three times was playing with a much better group of players. The one time he wasn't, Rondo played him to a standstill and even slightly outplayed him.

Another fact is that Parker is 4 years older than Rondo and has 5 more years of playing experience than Rondo and that the only time Parker can say he outplayed Rondo head to head is when he played him in Rondo's rookie year when Rondo wasn't even close to the player that he is now and when Parker was playing with the best player in the last decade and an All star in Manu Ginobelli.

It's real easy to compare the two against each other head to head but if that's what you want to do then do so in their developmental stages. That is in either the same year played or the same age played. Parker is an established player, Rondo is still developing.

And if rings don't lie, then neither does Rondo's shiny bling on his finger, or did you forget that.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Tony Parker was a Finals MVP. Sometimes a guy ends up getting underrated because of the talent around him. That's what he doesn't see in Rondo so it's a bit ironic. Rondo could actually put up like 17 a game on a crap team like Memphis, but he doesn't have to here. Deron might be better than Tony, but I think he is definitely in the top 3 of the point guards.

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Rondo can be inconsistent but I seem to remember him kicking the butts of most of the people on that list, although maybe not Parker himself.  Rondo has killed Nash, Billups, Williams at different times.  Parker has a right to his opinion of course, but it's hard to call a player overrated who hasn't made an allstar team and probably won't this year either.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Tony Parker was a Finals MVP. Sometimes a guy ends up getting underrated because of the talent around him. That's what he doesn't see in Rondo so it's a bit ironic. Rondo could actually put up like 17 a game on a crap team like Memphis, but he doesn't have to here. Deron might be better than Tony, but I think he is definitely in the top 3 of the point guards.

parker is not better, as a PG, than billups, nelson, and nash.

Tony is one of the most underachiving PG's for ball movement i have ever seen. He has tim flipping duncan setting his pick and roles, and manu as his wing, he should really get more than 6 assists a game by accident.

tony is a good scoring gaurd, but he is not a premier PG in my opnion. Mabey im a purist, but to me, the PG should set the table first, score seconed. Tony sets the table for tony, and passes to his teamates when he gets in trouble.

Rondo and the aforementioned group above set the table for thier teamates, and score within the flow of the game.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree that Parker is very good, but #2 may be too high.  It's hard to say until we see him on a different kind of team.  For instance, if Parker and Harris switched places, I bet Parker could lead the league in scoring on the Nets.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline eat ur wheaties

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
parker can fall down with nobody around him and will get a whistle, something he learned from manu.  while the #'s from that st pattys day game tilt in parkers favor, rondo played much better in the 2nd half (during the comeback) and had that steal of duncan and then BROKE parker in the open court; also outjumped parker on a rebound that helped seal the game.

how long til eva herself becomes a "desperate housewife"?

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
Look, I think Parker's point has played out verbatim in this thread, hasn't it? He lists his Top 5 PG in the game today, and a whole bunch of people immediately say, "Hey, Rondo's outplayed all of them!" which very clearly implies that they believe Rondo belongs on a Top 5 list. And he doesn't. I mean, I love the guy, and I love what he does for our team, but he is absolutely NOT a Top 5 PG in this league yet. Maybe he will be soon, but not yet. I mean, Jesus, folks. The guy can't shoot to save his life. If he's not in the paint, he's not a threat to score. Let's at least wait until he gets a jump shot before we start anointing him the King of all the PGs.

Also, I don't agree with Parker's argument that Rondo having Pierce, Garnett, and/or Allen (and I've seen the quote mentioning all three) inflates his statistics so much that it masks him being inept, but the people here who have argued that it has NO impact on Rondo's statistics are kidding themselves. And the one who tried to equate Pierce/Garnett/Allen to Chandler/West/Stojakovic? Come on. Don't be ridiculous.

Personally, I think Bankshot's list has a lot of merit. At the moment, I would say that Rondo is, at best, #7 in an overall ranking. Frankly, with the way they are playing this season, I would take any of those 5 PGs Bankshot listed over Rondo, and I would probably take Parker too for the moment (and maybe Jameer Nelson, though that's a bit of a tossup). But I fail to see why saying that he's not Top 5 right now somehow gets twisted into a statement that he's never going to be that. The kid's, what? 23? 24? He's got time to improve, and he's shown a willingness to work hard to do so. So why can't we all just be satisfied with saying that he's young and talented and is on the path to be a Top 5 PG in the future?

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

P.S tony, as tattered said your about 7-9th on the list. you don't belong in the top 5, which are-

1.CP3
2.D will
3. Billups
4.nash
5.harris

I mean, you might not even be 7th tony. PG's i could argue are better than you include- Mo in clevland, kidd (stretch), nelson, the aforementioned rondo, and heck, if he keeps playing this well with trash around him, rose.

That is completely absurd.  How is Devin Harris comparable to Parker at all?  Parker gets more assists, 1 ppg less, less turnovers, better shooting percentages all around.  His team actually wins, he doesnt get to shoot 30 times a game.  If Parker was on the Nets hed be scoring 30 points a game.  They suck.  Also Tony is still less than a year older than Harris.

Jason Kidd isnt even the best PG on his own team.

Nelson...give me a break

Nash is fossilizing by the day.  He has Amare, new Shaq, J Rich, Hill, Barbosa, its not like that squad is terrible, and they are floundering in mediocrity.  I'm terrified to think of what kind of numbers Parker would put up playing D'antoni ball.

Williams is close, but hes still not 100%, if he was maybe he might pass him, but its definitely not a sure thing.  

Chauncey has proved his worth a little more with what hes doing in Denver.

Derrick Rose?  Come on now.

How is this even a debate?

Parker has anchored the best franchise in the decade.  Hes got 3 rings, a finals MVP.  He scores, he passes, he wins.  This isnt even close.  Sure I hope Rondo surpasses him and he just might, but right now its not a comparison, as well as the rest of these guys...lets be serious

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

1.CP3
2.D will
3. Billups
4.nash
5.harris

That is completely absurd.  How is Devin Harris comparable to Parker at all?  Parker gets more assists, 1 ppg less, less turnovers, better shooting percentages all around.  His team actually wins, he doesnt get to shoot 30 times a game.  If Parker was on the Nets hed be scoring 30 points a game.  They suck.  Also Tony is still less than a year older than Harris.

Jason Kidd isnt even the best PG on his own team.

Nelson...give me a break

Nash is fossilizing by the day.  He has Amare, new Shaq, J Rich, Hill, Barbosa, its not like that squad is terrible, and they are floundering in mediocrity.  I'm terrified to think of what kind of numbers Parker would put up playing D'antoni ball.

Williams is close, but hes still not 100%, if he was maybe he might pass him, but its definitely not a sure thing.  

Chauncey has proved his worth a little more with what hes doing in Denver.

Derrick Rose?  Come on now.

How is this even a debate?

Parker has anchored the best franchise in the decade.  Hes got 3 rings, a finals MVP.  He scores, he passes, he wins.  This isnt even close.  Sure I hope Rondo surpasses him and he just might, but right now its not a comparison, as well as the rest of these guys...lets be serious

no, this guy has anchored the franchise for the last decade. He's a transendant big man, and one of the best to ever play the game. (and i love KG, but it isn't even close)

see my above post, mabey im a purist, but a PG sets the table. Parker is a good scoring gaurd, but as tattered said, i find him a above average PG at best.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My top PGs for this year:

1. Paul
2. D Williams - when healthy
3. Parker
4. Billups
5. Kidd
6. Nash - though because of his defense he should probly be placed below the next three guys.
7A. Rondo
7B. Nelson
7C. Harris
10A. Calderon
10B. Rose
10C. M Williams

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
My top PGs for this year:

1. Paul
2. D Williams - when healthy
3. Parker
4. Billups
5. Kidd
6. Nash - though because of his defense he should probly be placed below the next three guys.
7A. Rondo
7B. Nelson
7C. Harris
10A. Calderon
10B. Rose
10C. M Williams

Good list, just need to remove Kidd completely and it would be pretty much spot on.