Author Topic: How I Met Your Mother  (Read 23093 times)

Re: How I Met Your Mother
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Haven't cared about a series leaving the air since MASH checked out.

Given the shoddy writing that marks the current iteration of series, I don't anticipate caring anytime soon.
If MASH is your standard of good writing, I'm personally appalled.

talk about a series that went on and on and on long past the point where it was worth watching, MASH is the epitome of it.  unfunny (good thing they had the laugh track to tell viewers when they were trying to be funny), cornball story lines,  corny dialogue and characters that just became so unlikeable as the series continued.

so many other shows have come and gone that were so superior.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Given the shoddy writing that marks the current iteration of series, I don't anticipate caring anytime soon.

talk about a series that went on and on and on long past the point where it was worth watching, MASH is the epitome of it.  unfunny (good thing they had the laugh track to tell viewers when they were trying to be funny), cornball story lines,  corny dialogue and characters that just became so unlikeable as the series continued.

Disagree vehemently with this. But too each his own when it comes to entertainment.

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I mostly agree - heck the show lasted longer than the actual war did.  But it's the same reason people always think music was better when they were young: they remember the good stuff, but the crappy stuff is forgettable and so gets forgotten. 

If you only think of the best parts of MASH, it was a great show.  If you think of the cheesier parts, or the increasingly uneven quality of the last few years, or how poorly some of it has aged, it loses a lot of luster.  If you think about AfterMASH, well, you should probably stop thinking about AfterMASH.

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you think about AfterMASH, well, you should probably stop thinking about AfterMASH.

Quite possibly the greatest sentence ever written on Celticsblog.  TP+ for you, good sir.

Mash in it's prime was phenomenal.  One of the best TV shows ever.  The episode where Radar reports that Col. Blake's helicopter crashed is still a kick in the stomach. 

But the show went on at least 1-2 seasons too long.  Towards the end it ended up being too thin of storylines and far too much of Hawkeye sermonizing.  Alan Alda had too much sway towards the end of the show's run.  And I agree with most of the things that Alda was stating on the show, but it just didn't make for compelling television.

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If you think about AfterMASH, well, you should probably stop thinking about AfterMASH.

Quite possibly the greatest sentence ever written on Celticsblog.  TP+ for you, good sir.

Mash in it's prime was phenomenal.  One of the best TV shows ever.  The episode where Radar reports that Col. Blake's helicopter crashed is still a kick in the stomach. 

But the show went on at least 1-2 seasons too long.  Towards the end it ended up being too thin of storylines and far too much of Hawkeye sermonizing.  Alan Alda had too much sway towards the end of the show's run.  And I agree with most of the things that Alda was stating on the show, but it just didn't make for compelling television.
early MASH was fine -- the Henry Blake/Trapper John years were good.  not great, but good.  too uneven.

the show still had its moments until Frank Burns left.  Frank was one of the top foils on TV of all time.  After that, pure crap.

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Disagree vehemently with this. But too each his own when it comes to entertainment.
you disagree with MASH sucking or that there have been many other superior shows on TV or both?

I'm willing to throw my opinion out there for debate.  IMHO, the best TV show ever was Hill Street Blues.  excellent writing, acting and story lines.  incomparable programming.  that would be my first example of a superior program. 

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

you disagree with MASH sucking or that there have been many other superior shows on TV or both?

I'm willing to throw my opinion out there for debate.  IMHO, the best TV show ever was Hill Street Blues.  excellent writing, acting and story lines.  incomparable programming.  that would be my first example of a superior program.
Both.

I think there have definitely been shows with overall better writing. In comedy circles, Frasier and Cheers comes to mind. Hill Street Blues is a good example of a drama with better overall writing. As is the Sopranos.

But MASH was a 70's show and it changed the way television shows were viewed and written. It was an iconic show like few others. It was maybe the first show to combine serious overtones and a very serious back story with comedy. It could make you laugh your butt off one week, make you seriously think about a subject another and make you cry in another week. It was a one of a kind and transformative television show.

All in the Family is another from that era of television. I believe they set a standard to be beat and made the next generations of television programming smarter and better written. I think it led to much better writing in shows later on.

So, yes, there have been better written shows but in some way they are better written because of the excellent writing of shows from game changing older shows, like MASH.

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
But MASH was a 70's show and it changed the way television shows were viewed and written. It was an iconic show like few others. It was maybe the first show to combine serious overtones and a very serious back story with comedy. It could make you laugh your butt off one week, make you seriously think about a subject another and make you cry in another week. It was a one of a kind and transformative television show.

So it's basically the Dr J of TV shows?  Revolutionary for its time but underappreciated decades later because of all the successful imitators it inspired?

EDIT: Uh-oh, I think I accidentally just wrote Simmons' next column. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:48:35 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

So its basically the Dr J of TV shows?  Revolutionary for its time but underappreciated decades later because of all the successful imitators it inspired?
TP...good analogy

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
I believe they set a standard to be beat and made the next generations of television programming smarter and better written. I think it led to much better writing in shows later on.

TP.  This is a good point.

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Both.

I think there have definitely been shows with overall better writing. In comedy circles, Frasier and Cheers comes to mind. Hill Street Blues is a good example of a drama with better overall writing. As is the Sopranos.

All in the Family is another from that era of television. I believe they set a standard to be beat and made the next generations of television programming smarter and better written. I think it led to much better writing in shows later on.

So, yes, there have been better written shows but in some way they are better written because of the excellent writing of shows from game changing older shows, like MASH.
so, "I think there have definitely been shows with overall better writing. "  that pretty much backs up my point.  not sure what you're disagreeing with on that.

I totally agree on AITF -- set the standard.  edgy, funny and thought-provoking.  I just don't consider MASH in that league.  another 70's comedy that was far better was the MTM show.  Carol Burnett as well (I know it's sketch comedy, but it was actually funny.)

never laughed my butt off with MASH.  only laughed out loud once with MASH -- episode with the psychiatrist that visited occasionally--can't remember his name but I know the actor passed recently.  timeframe was after Henry/Trapper left but Frank was still there.   (Frank was by far the best character on the show).  I only saw it the one time it was aired - never seen it again in repeats unfortunately (and surprising since I've seen the syndicated shows and repeats far too often).  something to do with someone pulling practical jokes in the camp and Frank digging foxholes all over. The one laugh out loud moment from the entire series was BJ filling the hole near the tent and pulling a fake air raid to get Frank to dive into the filled foxhole.  very funny.  the rest of the series, eh.   
What has always stuck in my head as a perfect example of the corny dialogue was an episode (the BJ years) where they're treating a soldier that's found to have been dealing drugs. 
Hawkeye: (paraphrase the first sentence) "I don't get it.  He has a face right off the cover of the Saturday Night Post"
BJ: "Maybe that was his cover"
I heard that and just could not stand the show from that point forward.

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I started to write a long thing about Hill St Blues (and why it was good, but doesn't hold a candle to shows like The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood (probably my favorite 'cancelled too early' show outside of MAYBE Firefly and Life starring Homeland's Damien Lewis), Justified, Buffy...man I could go on...and how Mash's early brilliance should overshadow it's later failures, like Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady's earlier primes should be the mark we remember and judge them on, but ultimately I decided to write this, the post explaining about how I walked away from the other post.

And How I Met Your Mother was good early , but it wasn't pantheon good. It wasn't even the level below pantheon good. Compare it to Friends (which is basically what HIMYM was, except HIMYM was more annoying and less transparently about nothing), or Seinfeld (which is what Friends was, but with forced storylines and worse writing).

Psych was a better show than HIMYM. I will deathmatch debate anyone who has seen the entirety of both shows and thinks otherwise. Steelcage.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Compare it to Friends (which is basically what HIMYM was, except HIMYM was more annoying and less transparently about nothing), or Seinfeld (which is what Friends was, but with forced storylines and worse writing).

Waaaaaait a sec, are you saying Friends had better writing than Seinfeld?

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 11:41:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
HIMYM is the Milliniels Friends in many ways. IMO Seinfeld is a tier above Friends and Friends is above HIMYM.

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Compare it to Friends (which is basically what HIMYM was, except HIMYM was more annoying and less transparently about nothing), or Seinfeld (which is what Friends was, but with forced storylines and worse writing).

Waaaaaait a sec, are you saying Friends had better writing than Seinfeld?

No no, the opposite. Friends was a show about nothing that indulged the emotional side of things while milking the Sam and Diane will-they-or-won't-they dynamic, playing musical chairs will every member of the group as partners as a proxy for storyline. The real meat of the show is late-20's early 30-something's who make more money than they should and live in a consequence free world cracking jokes on each other and the nobodies around them. HIMYM is just the next insufferable pap in the evolutionary ladder of sitcoms.

PS: I really, really hated the show the last 2-3 years. It's felt like a money-grab for years .

HIMYM is the Milliniels Friends in many ways. IMO Seinfeld is a tier above Friends and Friends is above HIMYM.

This.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner