Author Topic: Family Guy  (Read 22132 times)

Re: Family Guy
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Last night's episode was beyond epic. Much better than that overrated Star Wars crap.

Was last nights the one I posted?  Star Trek and Meg's religion?

Yup. The TNG cast guest-appearance was probably the greatest thing I've seen on TV in the last 15 years.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 10:49:32 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have been extremely disappointed with Family Guy as of late.  The one two weeks ago enraged my heart and soul.  I am talking about when they cut into the country guy singing, "And ladies and gentleman, here is _________" then you got some guy from a show that looks like it was made in the 70s singing some country song.  Now, they have had that a few times and I can deal with.  Don't really find it funny, but I can deal 30 seconds of it.  But on the episode a couple of weeks ago, they had like 5 minutes of this guy singing!  Seriously, even if anyone thought it was funny, it's not funny for 5 minutes!!!  It's like they just gave up and thought, 'we have no joke so we're just going to insert this and let it be'.  It ****ed me off soooo much and it literally turned me off from watching Family Guy ever again.  I am the guy that saw the episodes when if first came out thought it was the funniest cartoon since South Park and The Simpsons, but now I have no motivation to watch it at all.

Whew!  Thanks.  I need it to vent that one off.  It's been kept inside of me for two weeks now so I needed that.
That was just horrible. I changed the channel and decided to just watch it online later on.

Last night's episode was fun though. The cross toss was hilarious.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Last night's episode was beyond epic. Much better than that overrated Star Wars crap.

Yup. The TNG cast guest-appearance was probably the greatest thing I've seen on TV in the last 15 years.

The scene at the bowling alley was pretty awesome.  I liked the subtlety of the guy trying to get the doll out of the "catch it with the claw" game in the background.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I have been extremely disappointed with Family Guy as of late.  The one two weeks ago enraged my heart and soul.  I am talking about when they cut into the country guy singing, "And ladies and gentleman, here is _________" then you got some guy from a show that looks like it was made in the 70s singing some country song.  Now, they have had that a few times and I can deal with.  Don't really find it funny, but I can deal 30 seconds of it.  But on the episode a couple of weeks ago, they had like 5 minutes of this guy singing!  Seriously, even if anyone thought it was funny, it's not funny for 5 minutes!!!  It's like they just gave up and thought, 'we have no joke so we're just going to insert this and let it be'.  It ****ed me off soooo much and it literally turned me off from watching Family Guy ever again.  I am the guy that saw the episodes when if first came out thought it was the funniest cartoon since South Park and The Simpsons, but now I have no motivation to watch it at all.

Whew!  Thanks.  I need it to vent that one off.  It's been kept inside of me for two weeks now so I needed that.

I'm not near as mad about it as you are but I agree that the last few weeks have been pretty subpar.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 01:20:43 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
the newest episodes have been good, not great. Early family guy is really a non-stop laugh riot. I die laughing at episodes like "love Thy Trophy". Still in my top 3 shows, though.

and I like Conway Twitty. Haha I think its funny.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:20 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I was pretty meh aboout it. outside of the bowling alley scene, which was ok, i didn't find alot in that episode that was memerable.

mabey i had too high expectations going in, but i wasen't impressed.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:28 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I was pretty meh aboout it. outside of the bowling alley scene, which was ok, i didn't find alot in that episode that was memerable.

maybe my expectations have become so low
Yup

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

I was excited for the TNG cast on TV again.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

As someone who didn't watch TNG at all, and was just a fan of Family Guy, they completely depended on the TNG cast. If you weren't amused by their return, you were screwed, because that episode offered nothing else (except for the Bald Bull reference), completely unlike the Star Wars episode where even if you hadn't seen the movie it was still hilarious. Those were jokes written into the Star Wars script, whereas the TNG episode was just like hey they're all here now everyone be amused.

I also completely agree that the Conway Twitty stuff is just plain lazy writing. I wasn't angry about it until I read this thread, and now I kind of am haha.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

so was I, but i thought they barley got used, and didn't have any really memerobale bits.

I was pretty disapointed they focused on MEg ad bryan and her crazy kirk cameron relgion kick. One, because TNG crew is far more intersting, and 2, because they have done this episode before when peter worshipped the fonz and was discredited as a looney.

It was the same episode, only with meg as peter and bryan as peter's dad.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

As someone who didn't watch TNG at all, and was just a fan of Family Guy, they completely depended on the TNG cast. If you weren't amused by their return, you were screwed, because that episode offered nothing else (except for the Bald Bull reference), completely unlike the Star Wars episode where even if you hadn't seen the movie it was still hilarious. Those were jokes written into the Star Wars script, whereas the TNG episode was just like hey they're all here now everyone be amused.

I also completely agree that the Conway Twitty stuff is just plain lazy writing. I wasn't angry about it until I read this thread, and now I kind of am haha.

I have to agree with that assessment. I didn't understand any of the referances to the TNG people.

Also, can someone please explain the two guys in bed at the end? I didn't get that at all. Thanks.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I have to agree with that assessment. I didn't understand any of the referances to the TNG people.

Also, can someone please explain the two guys in bed at the end? I didn't get that at all. Thanks.

I dont think it was people not getting the referances to TNG that was the problem, its that they slammed together TNG cameo as the subplot to an episode that they already did 3 seasons ago.

I mean, that was seriously the exact same story as "the fonz" with diffrent flashback jokes.

1. person invents/latches on to new relgion to fit in (peter "fonziism" meg latching onto camroons version of relgion)

2. Person convinced there way is right, tries to subjegate others (peter v peters dad, meg v bryan)

3. FG goes out of its way to show that conforming to the norm to fit in is stupid (Bryan v meg, Bryan and clancy v peter)

4. person who tried to force relgion down throat realizes error of ways

i mean, serously seth, we get it. You don't think the desire to conform to the norm should interfear with indivdual rights, and those that try to change others to thier way of thinking are wrong and silly. It's been the main theme of about 5+ episodes now.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I dont think it was people not getting the referances to TNG that was the problem, its that they slammed together TNG cameo as the subplot to an episode that they already did 3 seasons ago.

I mean, that was seriously the exact same story as "the fonz" with diffrent flashback jokes.

1. person invents/latches on to new relgion to fit in (peter "fonziism" meg latching onto camroons version of relgion)

2. Person convinced there way is right, tries to subjegate others (peter v peters dad, meg v bryan)

3. FG goes out of its way to show that conforming to the norm to fit in is stupid (Bryan v meg, Bryan and clancy v peter)

i mean, serously seth, we get it. You don't think the desire to conform to the norm should interfear with indivdual rights, and those that try to change others to thier way of thinking are wrong and silly. It's been the main theme of about 5+ episodes now.
Well, this one was more about prejudice against atheists. It was also no so much about silly religions like the Fonz one but about religious fundamentalism and reactionaryism.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Well, this one was more about prejudice against atheists. It was also no so much about silly religions like the Fonz one but about religious fundamentalism and reactionaryism.

ok, if you want to split hairs, fine.

It was the same episode, boiling down to Crazy relgion extremist v. rational thinker.

but its problem was that the entire episode was pushed with regardes to how funny they were goign to be with the cast of TNG, and then they made it a subplot, and outside of picard at the bowling alley, it wasen't.

If your going to make the thing you pushed in all the ads and people got excited about the subplot, it better be excellent (it wasent) or your main story better be awesome (it also wasen't, the only funny bit to me was when meg threw the cross and bryan had to fetch it and then wouldn't give it back) not some rehash of an idea you've made central to a ton of plots, i.e crazy relgion/idea/social stance Vs. Non-conformer who turns out to be the rational one.

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Okay, but can someone please explain the to guys in bed talking at the end? I really didn't get it, and it's making me slightly crazy.