Author Topic: Fringe  (Read 16159 times)

Re: Fringe
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That doesn't make sense...the Len Bias thing. "Len Bias present for HOF Induction Ceremony" would've made more sense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Maybe he's younger in this Alternate Reality. Maybe this isn't 2009. Maybe humans here last longer. It doesn't have to make sense, they can do whatever the heck they want with this and have a reasonable explanation within the show... can't limit ourselves to what we know as truth in our world. Heck, we have Observers populating what I assume is another Alternate Reality.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Maybe he's younger in this Alternate Reality. Maybe this isn't 2009. Maybe humans here last longer. It doesn't have to make sense, they can do whatever the heck they want with this and have a reasonable explanation within the show... can't limit ourselves to what we know as truth in our world. Heck, we have Observers populating what I assume is another Alternate Reality.

Well..ok. There are all kinds of paradox here but there are also some hints
First, there is the idea, as the observer says, that there are "two of everything"
So the second Peter is the second Peter, the twin towers are the second twin towers, the John F Kennedy, the second John F Kennedy, etc....

They are all remarkably similar. The Len Bias thing doesn't make sense because he can't be the same Len Bias. Assuming there are near exact replicas, which is not a bad assumption at this point, the earliest Obama could be president is 1996 (I believe), so at that point Bias would be a 10 yr vet...so I guess if its another time its possible..

But it just doesn't jive to me. There are other things they could have said...something like "Sox Choke again, Curse of the Bambino going strong at 91 years" or something.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Well..ok. There are all kinds of paradox here but there are also some hints
First, there is the idea, as the observer says, that there are "two of everything"
So the second Peter is the second Peter, the twin towers are the second twin towers, the John F Kennedy, the second John F Kennedy, etc....

They are all remarkably similar. The Len Bias thing doesn't make sense because he can't be the same Len Bias. Assuming there are near exact replicas, which is not a bad assumption at this point, the earliest Obama could be president is 1996 (I believe), so at that point Bias would be a 10 yr vet...so I guess if its another time its possible..

But it just doesn't jive to me. There are other things they could have said...something like "Sox Choke again, Curse of the Bambino going strong at 91 years" or something.

Oh certainly, I'm just not going to go through the "things don't make sense" route, and simply look at it as "something that needs to be explained" in some fashion because as we know it things are not fitting correctly, but that's simply because we don't have the information needed to draw conclusions.

I guess that's what I was going for because it seems like everyone's favorite hobby when watching TV Shows is to look and claim that something is a plothole, so I tend to get a bit defensive when phrases like "things don't make sense" are thrown around, especially when we as the viewers don't have the relevant facts. But it's certainly strange that Len Bias is around kicking ass and Kennedy is still around and active.

From what I can make out in the newspaper, we're in the 2000's... I just can't make out the last digit.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yeah I mean honestly I couldn't be happier with the show, slight on the Bias reference or not. It heated up faster than Player #23 in NBA Live 1996.

There are certain "ramifications" that should be discussed though. If there are indeed "More than one of everything", then what happened to William Bell? What happened to bizarro Walter? Wouldn't bizarro Walter swear a blood oath on our Walter for stealing his child? Would William Bell be able to co-exist with our William Bell?

Is this all a thinly veiled star trek promo?

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Yep, remember when Walter saw himself? Was he simply imagining things, or was this Walter from an AR? Same with William Bell, this may be a good William Bell, but whose to say that there isn't an evil one responsible for the terrorist attacks?

And then there are the observers that clearly are from a more advanced civilization. Does he come from an AR that poses that great threat people are worried about? Why is he helping Walter... remember that he supposedly saved him and Peter (did he survive really?) from when they fell on the lake or something, and also it seems that he attacked Peter so that he wouldn't see his tomb in an earlier episode.

Reading columns around, JJ said that the first season was mostly about getting to know the good guys, and the the second season will be about getting to know the bad guys.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yep, remember when Walter saw himself? Was he simply imagining things, or was this Walter from an AR? Same with William Bell, this may be a good William Bell, but whose to say that there isn't an evil one responsible for the terrorist attacks?

And then there are the observers that clearly are from a more advanced civilization. Does he come from an AR that poses that great threat people are worried about? Why is he helping Walter... remember that he supposedly saved him and Peter (did he survive really?) from when they fell on the lake or something, and also it seems that he attacked Peter so that he wouldn't see his tomb in an earlier episode.

Reading columns around, JJ said that the first season was mostly about getting to know the good guys, and the the second season will be about getting to know the bad guys.

If this is all Good Oliva vs bad Oliva etc....I say Boo Hiss.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah I mean honestly I couldn't be happier with the show, slight on the Bias reference or not. It heated up faster than Player #23 in NBA Live 1996.

There are certain "ramifications" that should be discussed though. If there are indeed "More than one of everything", then what happened to William Bell? What happened to bizarro Walter? Wouldn't bizarro Walter swear a blood oath on our Walter for stealing his child? Would William Bell be able to co-exist with our William Bell?

How did I miss this whole bizarro Walter thing? What that is the last episode?

The worst problem I have with Fringe is that they seem to be basing the alterate realities on Hugh Everett's Possible Universes interpretation of quantum mechanics, but this interpretation of quantum mechanics would lead to an exponential growth in the number of alternative realities. At what point did these two realities diverge? And what about all the other universes that diverged after that split?

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The worst problem I have with Fringe is that they seem to be basing the alterate realities on Hugh Everett's Possible Universes interpretation of quantum mechanics, but this interpretation of quantum mechanics would lead to an exponential growth in the number of alternative realities. At what point did these two realities diverge? And what about all the other universes that diverged after that split?

Probable plot tweest.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If this is all Good Oliva vs bad Oliva etc....I say Boo Hiss.

I don't think this will be the case... I think there will be a ton of grey areas and different factors motivating their different versions of each other, so there will be some conflict. But yeah, we can't throw aside the possibility of this being the case in some situations. I only mention William Bell because the dying terrorist scientist pointed at William Bell, so he might be telling the truth because it's simply another version of Bell.

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If not mistaken this was when he went back to the Mental Institution.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Finale = greatest television episode of anything I have ever seen.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Fringe returns this week, on its new night on Thursdays (to my disappointment).

Here's a promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCia6MXq8YM

Thursday is going to be really hard on tv shows this season, they have a ton of competition with high rated shows. I hope Fringe survives.

Just look at the list of all the shows airing on Thursday:

Bones
Flashforward
Vampire Diaries
Survivor
Grey's Anatomy
Community
CSI
Supernatural
The Office
Private Practice
The Mentalist
Fringe

It's quite nuts if you ask me.

Looking forward to the next season... where do you guys think the story will take place?

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Je suis tres excited.

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Watched the first episode, and liked it. Kinda chaotic though. Poor Charlie though. So the million dollar question, are we "over here" or "over there" at the moment as they call it?