Author Topic: Small trade idea with the Clippers  (Read 7805 times)

Re: Small trade idea with the Clippers
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Okay, I give up, why would the Clippers make this trade?
Let me start by saying my son went to Temple so I watched Collins a fair amount in college. As of late, he seems to be finding his NBA game. In January he's playing 30-40 minutes per game. He's getting double figures in scoring and 7-8 assists per game. He's also a pretty good defender and gets a fair amount of rebounds for a guard.

Skinner has also been playing more as of late and his rebound and scoring numbers are pretty desent. Look at the last month if you don't believe me.

While I'm not saying either are all-stars, why would they trade them for a big who can't get off the bench, for a team that's dying for height, and a D- league player? If for some reason they wanted to package and move them, I positive they could get more.

I might be wrong, but neither are in the teams long term plans. 

And the Clipper's owner is well known for saving money, especially when the team stinks. 

While I can see why Skinner (injuries,age, etc) wouldn't be in their long term plans, why do you think Collins wouldn't be? Again, now that he's getting some minutes he's playing pretty darn well. While as I said he may never be an all-star, I can see him being a very nice player in this league. And while I agree that their owner has a history of trying to save money, we're talking a pretty small savings to give up on a desent player.
I just think they could do better.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Let me start by saying my son went to Temple so I watched Collins a fair amount in college. As of late, he seems to be finding his NBA game. In January he's playing 30-40 minutes per game. He's getting double figures in scoring and 7-8 assists per game. He's also a pretty good defender and gets a fair amount of rebounds for a guard.

Skinner has also been playing more as of late and his rebound and scoring numbers are pretty desent. Look at the last month if you don't believe me.

While I'm not saying either are all-stars, why would they trade them for a big who can't get off the bench, for a team that's dying for height, and a D- league player? If for some reason they wanted to package and move them, I positive they could get more.

And the Clipper's owner is well known for saving money, especially when the team stinks. 

While I can see why Skinner (injuries,age, etc) wouldn't be in their long term plans, why do you think Collins wouldn't be? Again, now that he's getting some minutes he's playing pretty darn well. While as I said he may never be an all-star, I can see him being a very nice player in this league. And while I agree that their owner has a history of trying to save money, we're talking a pretty small savings to give up on a desent player.

Wasn't he just a toss in for the Randolph trade? 

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

Wasn't he just a toss in for the Randolph trade? 

To be honest, I think he might have been, but that still doesn't mean he can't contribute. I just think he's starting to show that he can be a pretty good player and I don't see why anyone would trade someone like him, plus Skinner, for a stiff and a second round pick, who's never even suited up for a game.

And if he's so cheap, why in the world did he take on Randolph?

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I have a hard time seeing either Skinner or Collins making the playoff rotation, which makes this a "meh" trade at best from my perspective.  Is Skinner really any better than BBD at this point?  I recall him having some pretty long arms, but boy...  he's barely sniffed the court for a long time.  Plus, how's he going to get integrated into their schemes if he has to take it easy on his legs?  Is he going to be able to practice?

Giddens (technically a 1st rounder) will, I think, get traded - but I hope as part of a package that nets us a player that will actually get on the court for us.  I don't see Skinner being that guy.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I dont think they would do it.

They supposedly really like Collins (he has played pretty darn solidly at times).

This seems like classic bloggers trade ideas (not trying to sound mean)...but you have taken basically two starters from one team, given them two young players from our team who cant crack the rotation and then just suggest they will do it to save money.  I dont think they would be interested.

Starters?  I know Collins has been decent, and I agree that they might hesitate to give him up, but Skinner is just depth for them...especially if Kaman comes back healthy.  He is the type of useful big man, who can often be obtained for a second rounder and cash. 

Both are place holders.  One for Baron.  One for the guy who is replacing Kaman,

again, so that means they are starters.  they have both started a fair number of games. 

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

They supposedly really like Collins (he has played pretty darn solidly at times).

This seems like classic bloggers trade ideas (not trying to sound mean)...but you have taken basically two starters from one team, given them two young players from our team who cant crack the rotation and then just suggest they will do it to save money.  I dont think they would be interested.

Starters?  I know Collins has been decent, and I agree that they might hesitate to give him up, but Skinner is just depth for them...especially if Kaman comes back healthy.  He is the type of useful big man, who can often be obtained for a second rounder and cash. 

Both are place holders.  One for Baron.  One for the guy who is replacing Kaman,

again, so that means they are starters.  they have both started a fair number of games. 

Meh, there's nothing more boring than an argument about semantics.  Technically, Scal's a starter, too (at least until last night).  When their (bad) team is healthy, Collins and Skinner are getting slivers in their hindquarters, that's the relevant piece of information.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Meh, there's nothing more boring than an argument about semantics.  Technically, Scal's a starter, too (at least until last night).  When their (bad) team is healthy, Collins and Skinner are getting slivers in their hindquarters, that's the relevant piece of information.

collins isnt exactly a garbage player.  since starting 8 games ago, he has scored in double figures every game but one.  17,16,15,15,15,12,4,14.  rebounds, 6,5,4,3,3,6,4,3.  Assists, 3,3,6,7,8,11,8,5.  Steals, 3,1,1,3,3,4,1.

Those are good numbers.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Those are 8 games. Collins has been in the league for a couple of seasons now. I fail to see who would he beat to make the rotation. If Giddens doesn't have more upside than Collins, he was a terrible draft pick.

This trade could easily be a Skinner for POB+money+ 2nd round pick (or to sweeten it even more for the Clippers, more money replacing the 2nd round). But, in this case, why didn't Ainge signed Skinner during the off-season? I doubt he'd agree to a trade like this.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think I'd rather have Giddens/O'Bryant even though they never play.  At least they have potential for some improvement.  I think those 2 Clips will definitely be career stiffs and they wouldn't help us much anyway. 

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think the Clippers would do this deal, they depend on both players for good contributions especially now with all the injuries they have. That said, if I were them I'd do the deal in a heartbeat, Gidden's possible future is better than their present tense.

But I wouldn't do it if I were Boston. I like Brian Skinner but I don't see him as being a major upgrade on Davis, as a result I'm unwilling to give up Giddens.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If the Clippers would be kind enough to give these two away - which is essentially what they'd be doing in this deal - that would be quite kind of them.

I'm behind this deal - if someone will promise me that Danny doesn't duplicate his brain fart and sign O'Blount again. It'd be lovely to dispense with the delusion some have that the guy will ever contribute to the Celtics - or any other NBA team, for that matter.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Those are 8 games. Collins has been in the league for a couple of seasons now. I fail to see who would he beat to make the rotation. If Giddens doesn't have more upside than Collins, he was a terrible draft pick.

This trade could easily be a Skinner for POB+money+ 2nd round pick (or to sweeten it even more for the Clippers, more money replacing the 2nd round). But, in this case, why didn't Ainge signed Skinner during the off-season? I doubt he'd agree to a trade like this.
Exactly why I doubt this trade will happen. I think Ainge probably looked at Skinner and decided that Baby/Powe would be playing in front of him anyways.

I wouldn't mind having him on the team myself though. We'll see, I am eager for the trade deadline. Between our roster needs and the loaded gun of Wally's contract it is going to be interesting!

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Exactly why I doubt this trade will happen. I think Ainge probably looked at Skinner and decided that Baby/Powe would be playing in front of him anyways.

I wouldn't mind having him on the team myself though. We'll see, I am eager for the trade deadline. Between our roster needs and the loaded gun of Wally's contract it is going to be interesting!

1) Skinner would be getting the call against the true C that can shoot over Baby/Powe.  He wouldn't be here to replace them, just backup Perkins against the mismatches.

2) If Pruitt is getting into the rotation, so can Collins.  He can allow House to be the SG that he is on offense without having to force him to be the PG he isn't.  He can run the 2nd offense.