Author Topic: Small trade idea with the Clippers  (Read 7845 times)

Small trade idea with the Clippers
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3429~3019~2997~779&teams=12~12~2~2&te=&cash=12:2

Cash to cover the waiving of POB.

It save the Clipper's owner money.  Gives them a young swingman to develop as either a compliment to Gordon or a backup. 

For the Celtics.  Skinner is a usable C in the NBA off the bench. 

Collins is a 6'6 PG that has shown some defensive and passing skills.  What more, he can guard SGs and SFs, allowing House to be the SG on offense, PG on defense.  (TA as SF on offense, SG on defense)

Not a huge game changer, but better balance on the bench.

Re: Small trade idea with the Clippers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Collins has played pretty well for them at a position of need. unless they've seen something of giddens that the rest of the world hasn't, hard to imagine them being motivated....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
When looking at 82 games, in the scenario where he plays PG offensively and SG defensively, he could be a +5 in Per vs the opponents.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAC4.HTM#bypos

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If it looks like the C's are not going to be able to get someone like Joe Smith, I think a deal like this would make a lot of sense.  I have always been a fan of Skinner as a 4th big man type.  He is tough, a good rebounder and defender, and not a huge liability on offense.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
btw, not saying i wouldn't welcome it, but think it might be tough to make happen. what if they asked for TA instead of Giddens? not that they would, but i'd prob welcome it...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
btw, not saying i wouldn't welcome it, but think it might be tough to make happen. what if they asked for TA instead of Giddens? not that they would, but i'd prob welcome it...

Well, Celtics would probably have to retract to cash piece. 

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I would do it.  Doesn't appear that Joe Smith is getting bought out and Zo has retired.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like it, because POB is useless and Skinner and Collins can at least contribute.  I have no idea about Giddens, but I can't imagine that his potential is too much higher than Collins'.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Well, Celtics would probably have to retract to cash piece. 

ive; got no prob spending wyc's $$$ for him. so yep, send em some cash in the deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I dont think they would do it.

They supposedly really like Collins (he has played pretty darn solidly at times).

This seems like classic bloggers trade ideas (not trying to sound mean)...but you have taken basically two starters from one team, given them two young players from our team who cant crack the rotation and then just suggest they will do it to save money.  I dont think they would be interested.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

They supposedly really like Collins (he has played pretty darn solidly at times).

This seems like classic bloggers trade ideas (not trying to sound mean)...but you have taken basically two starters from one team, given them two young players from our team who cant crack the rotation and then just suggest they will do it to save money.  I dont think they would be interested.

Starters?  I know Collins has been decent, and I agree that they might hesitate to give him up, but Skinner is just depth for them...especially if Kaman comes back healthy.  He is the type of useful big man, who can often be obtained for a second rounder and cash. 

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Skinner were healthy, he'd help us out. But he's currently battling a leg injury that threatens to worsen into a stress reaction of some sort; he's not participating in practice.

Sterling may have returned to his famously skinflint ways, but I don't think they're ready to give away Collins.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Starters?  I know Collins has been decent, and I agree that they might hesitate to give him up, but Skinner is just depth for them...especially if Kaman comes back healthy.  He is the type of useful big man, who can often be obtained for a second rounder and cash. 

Both are place holders.  One for Baron.  One for the guy who is replacing Kaman,

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Okay, I give up, why would the Clippers make this trade?
Let me start by saying my son went to Temple so I watched Collins a fair amount in college. As of late, he seems to be finding his NBA game. In January he's playing 30-40 minutes per game. He's getting double figures in scoring and 7-8 assists per game. He's also a pretty good defender and gets a fair amount of rebounds for a guard.

Skinner has also been playing more as of late and his rebound and scoring numbers are pretty desent. Look at the last month if you don't believe me.

While I'm not saying either are all-stars, why would they trade them for a big who can't get off the bench, for a team that's dying for height, and a D- league player? If for some reason they wanted to package and move them, I positive they could get more.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Okay, I give up, why would the Clippers make this trade?
Let me start by saying my son went to Temple so I watched Collins a fair amount in college. As of late, he seems to be finding his NBA game. In January he's playing 30-40 minutes per game. He's getting double figures in scoring and 7-8 assists per game. He's also a pretty good defender and gets a fair amount of rebounds for a guard.

Skinner has also been playing more as of late and his rebound and scoring numbers are pretty desent. Look at the last month if you don't believe me.

While I'm not saying either are all-stars, why would they trade them for a big who can't get off the bench, for a team that's dying for height, and a D- league player? If for some reason they wanted to package and move them, I positive they could get more.

I might be wrong, but neither are in the teams long term plans. 

And the Clipper's owner is well known for saving money, especially when the team stinks.