Author Topic: Alonzo Mourning retires  (Read 5496 times)

Alonzo Mourning retires
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Press conference on NBAtv right now... great career, too bad he didnt finish it with us.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

Re: Alonzo Mourning retires
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
A bitter one, but still my most vivid memory of Alonzo came from his rookie year.  Watch McHale closely seeing the end of career materialize...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpSaz15PDI
Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Alonzo Mourning isn't walking through that door.  Stephon Marbury isn't walking through that door.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Alonzo Mourning isn't walking through that door.  Stephon Marbury isn't walking through that door.

Nope, and I dont think any of these guys really even want to come here for some reason...darnit PJ why don't you come back and help us try and repeat? he must not like our chances.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Paul, KG and Ray need to get on a plane down to the bayou and get PJ in. It's as simple as that. We need you PJ. We need you. You gotta, PJ. Come on, man!

If that doesn't work, nothing will....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:06:27 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
A bitter one, but still my most vivid memory of Alonzo came from his rookie year.  Watch McHale closely seeing the end of career materialize...

And that shouldn't have been the end for McHale.  They left like 0.4 seconds left on the clock, and McHale through a perfect alley oop to Dee Brown that Kendall Gill swatted away and should've been called for goal tending.

And if we had Reggie for that whole series, it would've been a Celtics sweep.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

And that shouldn't have been the end for McHale.  They left like 0.4 seconds left on the clock, and McHale through a perfect alley oop to Dee Brown that Kendall Gill swatted away and should've been called for goal tending.

Yeh, I remember thinking that game ending alley oop winner would have been one of the all time great ways to win a game.  Didn't they just miss one of those in the Orlando series too (the one that closed up the old Garden)?
Yup

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I was just checking out his career stats.  Can someone refresh me on the history of his stay in Toronto?  He never actually played for them, right?
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:27:04 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Yeh, I remember thinking that game ending alley oop winner would have been one of the all time great ways to win a game.  Didn't they just miss one of those in the Orlando series too (the one that closed up the old Garden)?

I'm not exactly sure how that series ended, except for the fact that Dominique Wilkins played an awesome game.  Also, a nice bit of sports trivia.  Dominique Wilkins was the last Celtic to score at the Boston Garden, and Horace Grant was the last player, overall.

Also, the fact that the Celtics were able to beat the Magic on the road after losing by 40+ points in game 1, and keeping games 3 and 4 close, was pretty amazing considering the huge talent advantage for the eventual EC champion Magic.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As a Celtics fan, this is too bad that he didn't come back for them...but as a basketball fan in general, I have to say I am happy he has hung them up.  I can't really explain why, but he always really rubbed me the wrong way. 

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
There goes one of the few remaining players that played during the glory days of the NBA (mid-80s to early-to-mid-90s) - only Shaq and Horry (if he plays again) remain from the 92-93 class. Since I am still stuck in the early 90s, I'll always remember him as a Charlotte Hornet first (those teams with Larry Johnson and Mourning were pretty underrated), even though he only played 3 seasons there.

I wrote a limerick in 4th grade about Shaq (with a reference to Mourning):

There once was a player named Shaq
Who had a very bad back
He liked to guard Mourning
It might be boring
And he especially loved to hack

It kinda sucks, but what do you expect from a 10 year old?

And this is one of my favorite cards that I still have -- it makes me kinda dizzy.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
There goes one of the few remaining players that played during the glory days of the NBA (mid-80s to early-to-mid-90s) - only Shaq and Horry (if he plays again) remain from the 92-93 class. Since I am still stuck in the early 90s, I'll always remember him as a Charlotte Hornet first (those teams with Larry Johnson and Mourning were pretty underrated), even though he only played 3 seasons there.

I wrote a limerick in 4th grade about Shaq (with a reference to Mourning):

There once was a player named Shaq
Who had a very bad back
He liked to guard Mourning
It might be boring
And he especially loved to hack

It kinda sucks, but what do you expect from a 10 year old?

And this is one of my favorite cards that I still have -- it makes me kinda dizzy.

Those 93-93 Ultra were so [dang] snazzy at the time!  One of the first series with glossy photos
Yup

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
  :'(

Sad to see my mourning dreams dry up... PJ, any second thoughts?

Heck, if antoine walker were bought out, i'd be tempted to add his scoring off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
  :'(

Sad to see my mourning dreams dry up... PJ, any second thoughts?

Heck, if antoine walker were bought out, i'd be tempted to add his scoring off the bench.

Antoine's offense> Powe's offense (by like a hundred)

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpSaz15PDI

Alonzo Mourning has always been my favorite player (growing up in an area with no NBA team) and this shot was one of my earliest memories of watching basketball and one of my favorites.  Glad he got his ring, he brought it every night.