Author Topic: Academy Awards 2009  (Read 23768 times)

Re: Academy Awards 2009
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
OK, I got sucked in.  Was hoping to watch the Tivo'd C's game

Hugh Jackman's opening act was pretty humorous.

Now I have to keep watching to see my favorite part...when they show the montage of people who have died in the past year.  Always amazed to see how many familiar faces pass on.

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

hmm yeh she can sing. but did you notice all the digital enhancement? she sounded semi-robotic. i'm not a big fan of that type of thing.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 02:30:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Now I have to keep watching to see my favorite part...when they show the montage of people who have died in the past year.  Always amazed to see how many familiar faces pass on.

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

hmm yeh she can sing. but did you notice all the digital enhancement? she sounded semi-robotic. i'm not a big fan of that type of thing.

definitely noticed that.

Also wasn't impressed with Beyonce's lip synching.

I liked Huge Jackman's opening number

Slumdog Millionare was a good movie, but it's pretty overrated.  "City of God" is a better movie that didn't get this kind of overkill hype when it came out.

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Here it is Redz!

I gave up...Ran out of steam...So who died?
Yup

Re: Acadamy Awards 2009
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
My thoughts:

I don't watch enough movies  :-\

Same with me.  I haven't even heard of most of the movies.  I mostly watch sports and news.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

definitely noticed that.

Slumdog Millionare was a good movie, but it's pretty overrated.  "City of God" is a better movie that didn't get this kind of overkill hype when it came out.

Isn't if funny that when the Chinese girl lypsynched, people were absolutely outraged and now, we have Oscars and Super Bowls being blatantly lypsynched by our top artists and nobody says anything.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
so was the apparent goal last night to push forward the homosexual agenda?

i gave up on them...i can't stomach these egomaniac blowhards.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

I thought that. I could say a few controversial things about the Oscars, but I wont.

As for the awards. Not sure about them. The three I definitely agree with are Heath Ledger and Penelope Cruz and Danny Boyle for Directing. Slumdog was good but not Oscar worthy.

I just think the Academy shot itself in the foot with the nominations.

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

definitely noticed that.

Isn't if funny that when the Chinese girl lypsynched, people were absolutely outraged and now, we have Oscars and Super Bowls being blatantly lypsynched by our top artists and nobody says anything.

I'm of the opinion that lip-synching during a live event is pretty weak, especially if you're not doing any dancing.  But the outrage about the Olympics was that it was a totally different girl singing.

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

definitely noticed that.

I'm of the opinion that lip-synching during a live event is pretty weak, especially if you're not doing any dancing.  But the outrage about the Olympics was that it was a totally different girl singing.

It was a different girl, but still, it's not that much different.  Some people might say that it's wrong because they used a cuter girl, but most of the singers in our events today are there because of looks first, singing abilities second.  I just think it's pretty hypocritical to be crying shame when it's the Chinese people trying do adapt to the Western culture but it's perfectly acceptable when we have our artists lypsinching.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Acadamy Awards 2009
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My thoughts:

I don't watch enough movies  :-\

Same with me.  I haven't even heard of most of the movies.  I mostly watch sports and news.

I hear you on this!  Frankly I usually wait until stuff comes out on video so that I can afford to see it.  $10 a pop for a movie these days is ridiculous (if I bring my wife it is $20 + $5 popcorn....).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Also, I rarely see all five movies in a category, so I can't really comment on which was the best.  That doesn't stop me from having an opinion though !
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

I love how Sean Penn acts like those that supported Prop 8 are so intolerant and he just insulted them on national television for their beliefs.  He regularly proves himself to be the most intolerant person in Hollywood.  What a tea bag. 

As I see it, Prop 8 was up for a vote and the Yes side beat the No side.  So, what's the problem again?  Maybe more homosexuals and their supporters should have gotten to the polls?  Stick that in your liberal pipe and smoke it, Milk.

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Here it is Redz!

Latifah can sing!

definitely noticed that.

It was a different girl, but still, it's not that much different.  Some people might say that it's wrong because they used a cuter girl, but most of the singers in our events today are there because of looks first, singing abilities second.  I just think it's pretty hypocritical to be crying shame when it's the Chinese people trying do adapt to the Western culture but it's perfectly acceptable when we have our artists lypsinching.

I think the reason that this was such a big story was because the girl who sung the song wasn't allowed to perform it because she wasn't cute enough.

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I love how Sean Penn acts like those that supported Prop 8 are so intolerant and he just insulted them on national television for their beliefs.  He regularly proves himself to be the most intolerant person in Hollywood.  What a tea bag. 

As I see it, Prop 8 was up for a vote and the Yes side beat the No side.  So, what's the problem again?  Maybe more homosexuals and their supporters should have gotten to the polls?  Stick that in your liberal pipe and smoke it, Milk.

Had Every Athenian citizen been a Socrates; every Athenian Assembly would still have been a mob.

-James Madison, Federalist 55