Author Topic: Academy Awards 2009  (Read 23762 times)

Re: Academy Awards 2009
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'll chime in with predictions.

Who should win (who will win):

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire (Slumdog Millionaire).

Best Director: David Fincher (David Fincher).

Best Actor:  Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke and Brad Pitt were all awesome so I'd have no complaints either way. (It'll be one of them surely.)

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger (Heath ledger) Honorable mention to Robert Downey Jr.

Best Actress:  Angelina Jolie (Kate Winslet).

Supporting Actress: Marissa Tomei (Marissa Tomei).

As I've said, I'm really disappointed with the nominations. Why does the Academy hate Leonardo DiCaprio? Why didn't they have the balls to nominate the Dark Knight? The Best Picture this year would have lost to any of last year's nominations.

Re: Acadamy Awards 2009
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
OK, I am gonna be "that guy" and point out that the title of this thread is spelled incorrectly...it's a pet peeve I had to be a jerk and point it out  ::)

Yeah thanks for that. I make a grammatical/spelling error 0.01% of the time and the one time I do it's picked on? Thanks :'(

I simply pointed it out (only because it was in the title) and Redz fixed it, I don't know...I wouldn't consider that picking on

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Who Should Win (with the caveat that I have not seen The Dark Knight)

Best picture:  Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Gus Van Sant, Milk.  He should have won for Good Will Hunting or Elephant.

Best Actor:  Sean Penn, Milk, Mickey Rourke, the Wrestler.  Both performances deserve it.

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger will probably get it posthumously.  I have no selection here, since I did not see his performance.

Best Actress:  Melissa Leo, Frozen River.  I also liked Jolie in Changeling

Supporting Actress: Marisa Thomei, The Wrestler.

Adapted Screenplay: John Patrick Shanley, Doubt

Original Screenplay: In Bruges, Martin McDonagh.  Very powerful dialogue.

I also thought In Bruges was very good, but I wonder how much the strong performances from Colin Farrel, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson (one of my favorite supporting actors) had to do with it?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:59:47 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
OK, I am gonna be "that guy" and point out that the title of this thread is spelled incorrectly...it's a pet peeve I had to be a jerk and point it out  ::)

Yeah thanks for that. I make a grammatical/spelling error 0.01% of the time and the one time I do it's picked on? Thanks :'(

I simply pointed it out (only because it was in the title) and Redz fixed it, I don't know...I wouldn't consider that picking on

Obviously I was joking.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

Best Director: Gus Van Sant, Milk.  He should have won for Good Will Hunting or Elephant.

Best Actor:  Sean Penn, Milk, Mickey Rourke, the Wrestler.  Both performances deserve it.

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger will probably get it posthumously.  I have no selection here, since I did not see his performance.

I also thought In Bruges was very good, but I wonder how much the strong performances from Colin Farrel, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson (one of my favorite supporting actors)?

All three actors were superb in that. I can't see them ever being nominated (duh) but I certainly hope they were at least considered. Probably not.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Obviously I was joking.

I had a feeling, but I thought I would err on the side of caution..I have seen a few threads get real crazy over stuff that began innocently enough  :P

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

Obviously I was joking.

I had a feeling, but I thought I would err on the side of caution..I have seen a few threads get real crazy over stuff that began innocently enough  :P

True, no worries have a TP.

Back on topic though, the nominations this year are shameful.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I have to figure there is someone more deserving than Marisa Thomei in "The Wrestler".  The only memorable part about her performance is that she is naked in 90% of her scenes and has a ghastly fake skank tattoo covering her entire back. 

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
^ I still would though...

:-[

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I just watched Slumdog Millionarie, and eh.. I don't get what all the fuss is about, honestly. It's a good movie, a feel good movie by an excellent director (I love Danny Boyle, especially Trainspotting). But it was so predictable, everyone knew what would happen in the end. From what I had heard this was a "City of God"-ala film, just in India - But seriously? In my oppinion it's not even fair to compare them.

In my previous post I wrote that I didn't get why The Dark Knight wasn't nominated and in contrast to this, I'm totally stunned.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:12:11 PM by Shots »

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
two things:

1) Is anyone else's favorite Danny Boyle movie "28 days later"?

2) Now I know why I love Brendan Gleeson (the guy with the big club in Gangs of NY, Mad Eye Moody in Harry Potter, and the father in 28 Days Later)! Its because of a short movie from 2006: Six Shooter, also written by Martin McDonagh. Kind of the same thing where its actually really funny one moment even though you don't want to laugh, then desparately sad the next, then just desparately sad then funny.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
two things:

1) Is anyone else's favorite Danny Boyle movie "28 days later"?

I loved that movie, but actually liked the 2nd one even better.  Maybe my all time favorite opening scene.
Yup

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Well I have to see a bunch of them as many just opened or are opening tomorrow where I am.

I agree The Dark Knight should have been nominated as it was a great film. I enjoyed Benjamin Button but a friend summed it up best, its good but not best picture good.

I think Rourke wins Best Actor as he's the best story (I'm going to go try and see it soon). Slumdog Millionare will likely win best picture (its this year's feel good picture/Artsy Indie film).

I think Leo will get nominated and win nest year for Shutter Island, if the film comes close to capturing the book. Speaking of nominees past and present, Clooney didn't deserve his last year.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The Academy Award nominations outdo the Golden Globes as usual.

Movies were so much better last year.
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Atonement
etc...

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
I watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, and it's not Oscar worthy. I thought the first 90 minutes of the film were great and the end was extremely disappointing.