Author Topic: Academy Awards 2009  (Read 23921 times)

Academy Awards 2009
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:30:35 PM by Redz »

Re: Acadamy Awards 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I was real dissapointed to see that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

Also, I never really understood the hype for Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder. I thought everything about the movie (with the exception of the opening ten minutes) was fairly marginal.

edit: missed Mickey Rourke.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:03:24 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
My thoughts:

I don't watch enough movies  :-\

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think the nominations in general seem pretty reasonable, but I'm a bit shocked that The Dark Knight didn't get a nomination for best picture. Even though I'm sure it would never win the award, it deserves the recognition, as I'm sure most would agree it's one of the best movies of 2008.

I also think it's a bit strange that Fincher got a nomination for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but didn't get any for Fight Club or Se7en. This isn't his best movie or direction so far, at least not in my oppinion..

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Mickey Rourke was nominated - haven't yet seen that. As for Robert Downey Jr., he was just sensational. I loved Tropic Thunder and thought he and Tom Cruise was fantastic in it. But Best Supporting Actor has to go to Heath Ledger.

The disregard of the Dark Knight is a disgrace though.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Mickey Rourke was nominated - haven't yet seen that. As for Robert Downey Jr., he was just sensational. I loved Tropic Thunder and thought he and Tom Cruise was fantastic in it. But Best Supporting Actor has to go to Heath Ledger.

The disregard of the Dark Knight is a disgrace though.

My bad, missed the Rourke. I watched it the other night, the movie is pretty good not great. He's incredible in it though. And I'm never the type to really notice a great "acting performance"

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I was surprised to see Vicky Barcelona to be nominated for Best Supporting Actress.  I started seeing that movie with my girlfriend since the movie is set in the town she spend a semester in Spain, but the movie was awful even for a chick flick.  The lines were completely cheesy and unimpressive, the actors didn't have much to work with since they had to go along with the stereotype (the spanish artist was as cheesy and stereotypical of a Spaniard lover that was just a joke).

I bring this up to you that if you come across that movie as an option of chick flicks, just think this.  Even my girlfriend, who is a chick flick junkie, hated it and couldn't finish the movie.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Is there any way in hell they won't give Heath Ledger the supporting actor Oscar?
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Is there any way in hell they won't give Heath Ledger the supporting actor Oscar?

I think that sort of thing takes away from the performance. That was a truly great performance and it's tragic that he wasn't around to actually witness it himself.

If they don't give it to him, it has to be Downey Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I think that sort of thing takes away from the performance. That was a truly great performance and it's tragic that he wasn't around to actually witness it himself.

Absolutely.  He's deserving, but so many times the Academy gives the award to the person who would make the best story for receiving it.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
dark knight getting snubbed because its a comic flix is a traveisty.

Ive seen slumdog millionar, and IMO, its a decent movie thats gettign the traditional "oh la dee da, here's our indy arts flix you've never seen!!" nod. it easily could have gone to dark knight. Milk is also meh.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

Absolutely.  He's deserving, but so many times the Academy gives the award to the person who would make the best story for receiving it.

Very true, Denzel Washington for Training Day is a prime example. Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind was so much better that it should never have been a contest. If only he hadn't attacked that paparazzi guy.

Ive seen slumdog millionar, and IMO, its a decent movie thats gettign the traditional "oh la dee da, here's our indy arts flix you've never seen!!" nod. it easily could have gone to dark knight. Milk is also meh.

I'm more concerned with Th Reader's nomination - huh??

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The Dark Knight probably wouldn't have won anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Best Actor:   I thought Benjamin Button was fairly boring.  Pitt was alright, but honestly there wasn't anything terribly interesting about his character.  I'd have to go with Rourke.  Saw the movie a couple days ago and he was solid.  Haven't yet seen "Milk", so I don't know how great Penn was.

Supporting Actor:  Gotta figure it'll be Ledger.  I thought Downey Jr was fun in Tropic Thunder, but I wouldn't consider it oscar worthy.  That movie in general was pretty stupid.

Lets see...

Wall-E should be a lock for best animation.

Benjamin Button should be a lock for best makeup.  I've never seen "aging" makeup come off so believable.

Best Movie:  I really don't think it should be Button.  That movie was pretty average.  I'll watch Slumdog tonight.  Seems like most folks have it at the top of the list.

Basically my only thoughts.

I'm happy to see that "love Guru" was nominated for a bunch of razzies.  Some chick dragged me to see that crapfest.  I took her to see Wall-E a few days before and she thought it was "extremely boring".  "Love Guru" was a painful, painful experience.  Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.   She thought it was hilarious and planned on buying the DVD as soon as it came out.  I haven't gone out with that nutcase since.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

The Dark Knight was a very good movie that should have been two excellent movies.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The Dark Knight was a very good movie that should have been two excellent movies.

That's interesting.   Hmm.  How bout that.  You could be right.

I loved the Dark Knight as much as everyone else, but I kinda felt like the Bruce Wayne/Batman character was missing something.  Ledger made the whole movie.  As long as he wins his award it doesn't really matter.