Author Topic: Academy Awards 2009  (Read 23767 times)

Re: Acadamy Awards 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
dark knight getting snubbed because its a comic flix is a traveisty.

Ive seen slumdog millionar, and IMO, its a decent movie thats gettign the traditional "oh la dee da, here's our indy arts flix you've never seen!!" nod. it easily could have gone to dark knight. Milk is also meh.

The Dark Knight was a very good movie that should have been two excellent movies.

That's interesting.   Hmm.  How bout that.  You could be right.

I loved the Dark Knight as much as everyone else, but I kinda felt like the Bruce Wayne/Batman character was missing something.  Ledger made the whole movie.  As long as he wins his award it doesn't really matter.

I thought that they rushed the Harvey Dent storyline, when it could have been more powerful. If they had allowed Two-Face to be the main villain for the third movie and used the ending of TDK for that movie, it would have made for a brilliant trilogy.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
wow no CHE is a well Done movie  :(

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
OK, I am gonna be "that guy" and point out that the title of this thread is spelled incorrectly...it's a pet peeve I had to be a jerk and point it out  ::)

I find that year after year, I have seen, at the most, 1 or 2 of the best picture nominees when Oscar time comes around.  I am one of those people who hates going to the movies (with rare exceptions, for example saw Dark Knight at IMAX and that was well worth it - but in general, who wants to pay $11 a ticket for a movie that may or may not be any good, while the 14 year-olds in front of you never shut up the entire time), so I often don't see movies I want to see until well after they are out on video.

I do hope to see The Wrestler soon...but I fully agree with the other posters about Tropic Thunder...it was entertaining, but not much Oscar-worthy about it.

Re: Academy Awards 2009
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
OK, I am gonna be "that guy" and point out that the title of this thread is spelled incorrectly...it's a pet peeve I had to be a jerk and point it out  ::)

There, I fixed it so the thread title will at least show up correctly spelled in the forums.  I do that from time to time if I pick it up.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Ive seen slumdog millionar, and IMO, its a decent movie thats gettign the traditional "oh la dee da, here's our indy arts flix you've never seen!!" nod. it easily could have gone to dark knight. Milk is also meh.

The Dark Knight was a very good movie that should have been two excellent movies.

I loved the Dark Knight as much as everyone else, but I kinda felt like the Bruce Wayne/Batman character was missing something.  Ledger made the whole movie.  As long as he wins his award it doesn't really matter.

I thought that they rushed the Harvey Dent storyline, when it could have been more powerful. If they had allowed Two-Face to be the main villain for the third movie and used the ending of TDK for that movie, it would have made for a brilliant trilogy.

I agree, the Harvery Dent character, which Aaron Eckhart (i think?) was absolutely rocking, would've been an awesome villain.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, it was missing good acting.  I can't stand Christian Bale.  He has absolutely no personality, and it makes it painful to watch. 

I agree that Ledger made the movie.  I think without him, it wouldn't have even been an average movie, it would have been terrible (although I did like the Dent character as well, but that was not enough to make up for Bale).

They really need to find someone else to play Batman. 

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

There, I fixed it so the thread title will at least show up correctly spelled in the forums.  I do that from time to time if I pick it up.

TP for you, thx Redz

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

TP for you, thx Redz

I've mellowed out with being anal about it, but I do try to fix up spelling in the titles. When I first became a mod I started making all of the thread titles properly capitalized...I had to drop that habit as it was becoming far too compulsive ::)

It's not easy being me sometimes ;D
Yup

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I find that year after year, I have seen, at the most, 1 or 2 of the best picture nominees when Oscar time comes around.  I am one of those people who hates going to the movies (with rare exceptions, for example saw Dark Knight at IMAX and that was well worth it - but in general, who wants to pay $11 a ticket for a movie that may or may not be any good, while the 14 year-olds in front of you never shut up the entire time), so I often don't see movies I want to see until well after they are out on video.

I do hope to see The Wrestler soon...but I fully agree with the other posters about Tropic Thunder...it was entertaining, but not much Oscar-worthy about it.

Hey you don't necessarily have to go to a movie theater to see the movie.  I don't think "The Wrestler" technically has even even had a wide theater release yet... but I watched it a couple nights ago... wait.. brb... i think the FBI is at my door...

Anyways... 

One last thing about "The Dark Knight".   I liked aspects of "Batman Begins" a lot more.  I thought the cinematography and the villain were a lot more interesting in "The Dark Knight", though. 

So yeah

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Yeah thanks for that. I make a grammatical/spelling error 0.01% of the time and the one time I do it's picked on? Thanks :'(

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeah thanks for that. I make a grammatical/spelling error 0.01% of the time and the one time I do it's picked on? Thanks :'(
My facebook app says that I type 93 WPM with 0 errars

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Dark Knight not getting a nod over frost/nixon or the reader is quiet BS in my opinion...My predictions however,

Best Picture - I go Slumdog first, Benjamin Button second, and Milk third.

Director - Boyle first with Fichner a close second...I think Button should win both director and film but i think the academy will choose Slumdog because of its underdog status.

Actor - I'll say Rourke because of all the hype surrounding and the Golden Globe nod, but i wouldnt count out Penn. His performance was magnificent in Milk.

Actress - Winslet or Streep

Supporting Actor - Ledger no doubt, although Brolin played an incredible part in Milk as well.

Supporting Actress - So glad Henson got the nod her acting was excellent. She should absolutely win.

Animated - Wall - E

And I think the Dark Knight deserves to sweep the rest. They can at least give them those to make up for the lack of a best film nod.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Shameless bragging for a second: my uncle has a vote for the Academy Awards, so they give him all the nominated DVDs... he left them with us when he visited from California a few weeks ago-we had ones that weren't even coming out for a while. I never even knew that he had a vote. Pretty cool.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
anyone even seen Frost/Nixon? With all the Bush talk my mom (a "radical" in the late 60's) has gotten really nostolgic about how much she hated/distrusted Nixon, and is really looking forward to the movie.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Who Should Win (with the caveat that I have not seen The Dark Knight)

Best picture:  Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Gus Van Sant, Milk.  He should have won for Good Will Hunting or Elephant.

Best Actor:  Sean Penn, Milk, Mickey Rourke, the Wrestler.  Both performances deserve it.

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger will probably get it posthumously.  I have no selection here, since I did not see his performance.

Best Actress:  Melissa Leo, Frozen River.  I also liked Jolie in Changeling

Supporting Actress: Marisa Thomei, The Wrestler.

Adapted Screenplay: John Patrick Shanley, Doubt

Original Screenplay: In Bruges, Martin McDonagh.  Very powerful dialogue.