Author Topic: The Wrestler (movie)  (Read 4257 times)

The Wrestler (movie)
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I just saw this last night.

Mickey Rourke was pretty excellent.  A very simple, torn character trying to cope with what's left of the hand he dealt for himself.

I thought the daughter scenes were a little forced, and the "stripper/hooker with a heart" has been a bit overdone in films. 

The movie was at it's best when he was doing his every day stuff.  The scenes in the locker rooms and market were quite good.

Does anyone have a clue how much of the bloody stuff happens on the small wrestling circuits?  I know guys cut themselves to force some bleeding, but what about the glass, barbed wired, and stapling type stuff?  Does that really happen?
Yup

Re: The Wrestler (movie)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Yes it does. I know a guy who did a documentary on it. Really gruesome stuff. Some dudes take lots of aspirin before cutting themselves so that they bleed more and thrill the backyard wrestling crowds.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yes it does. I know a guy who did a documentary on it. Really gruesome stuff. Some dudes take lots of aspirin before cutting themselves so that they bleed more and thrill the backyard wrestling crowds.

That's nuts
Yup

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That's nuts

Beyond the Mat.  Check it out regardless if you are wrestling fan.  It's pretty good.   This movie seems to borrow a lot from that documentary...  Micky Rourke's character has a lot in common with how Jake the Snake is portrayed in the documentary... and the behind the scenes of some of Mick Foley's hardcore matches are pretty brutal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218043/

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

That's nuts

Beyond the Mat.  Check it out regardless if you are wrestling fan.  It's pretty good.   This movie seems to borrow a lot from that documentary...  Micky Rourke's character has a lot in common with how Jake the Snake is portrayed in the documentary... and the behind the scenes of some of Mick Foley's hardcore matches are pretty brutal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218043/

Thought the same thing when I watched the wrestler, it was a little too similar at times.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but mostly for the wrestling scenes, though it was good but not great.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:40 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

indy wrestlers would not be happy with you calling their fans the backyard wrestling crowds - they will let you know there is a huge difference between the two

also on the Wrestler, I liked it, but I did find myself almost physically sick during the hardcore match scene, not sure if it was the blood or my extra large frosty, but something went wrong there
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I thought it was a good movie, and Mickey Rourke certainly deserves the Oscar nod.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

indy wrestlers would not be happy with you calling their fans the backyard wrestling crowds - they will let you know there is a huge difference between the two

also on the Wrestler, I liked it, but I did find myself almost physically sick during the hardcore match scene, not sure if it was the blood or my extra large frosty, but something went wrong there

True.. 3 levels basically:

backyard
indy circuit
pro - primetime

A lot of the backyard stuff happens in the indy word too.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I tought the movie could have had a better finishing... but i guess it's a true story(is it?)
He looks like and Gorilla, especialy his huge head.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

True.. 3 levels basically:

backyard
indy circuit
pro - primetime

A lot of the backyard stuff happens in the indy word too.

True very true, you're forgiven anyways bc of the acie earl picture
When you love life, life loves you right back