Author Topic: Celtics (35-9) at Magic (33-8)  (Read 39856 times)

Celtics (35-9) at Magic (33-8)
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   

Boston Celtics (35-9) at Orlando Magic (33-8)
Thursday, January 22
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #45, Road Game #23
TV:  TNT 
Radio:  WEEI
Amway Arena

Constructed in the late 1980s, the home of the Orlando Magic is one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.   Located in downtown Orlando, the facility was originally known as the Orlando Arena, and nicknamed O-Rena. The Magic played their first game at the arena on November 4, 1989 in a loss against the New Jersey Nets. At a cost of $198 million, the Orlando Arena was completely publicly financed. Since its opening, the arena has had several names from being known as the TD Waterhouse Centre to its current name, Amway Arena. Amway recently agreed to a four year, $1.5 million agreement to name the facility. It has a seating capacity of 17,248 in two levels with 26 luxury suites on the third level. One main concourse serves both main levels for games. The Magic recently announced plans for a new arena to be constructed as Amway Arena does not have enough seating and luxury suites like other arenas in the NBA. At a cost of $480 million, the arena is expected to be completed by the 2010 season.

Probable Starting Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson 

vs 
Ray Allen vs Courtney Lee 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Rashard Lewis

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard

Reserves
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
Sam Cassell
Patrick O'Bryant
Brian Scalabrine

Injuries
Tony Allen (ankle)  out
Kendrick Perkins (shoulder)  will play
JR Giddens (wrist)  day to day

Reserves
Brian Cook
Courtney Lee
Tony Battie
Marcin Gortat
Adonal Foyle
Jeremy Richardson
Keith Bogans
Anthony Johnson
JJ Redick

Injuries
Mickael Pietrus  (wrist) out
Mike Wilkes  (acl)  out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson
In their first matchup, the Nelson was out with an injury.  Rondo has been left out of most discussions for the All Star game while Nelson has been touted as a worthy candidate for his first selection.   We have seen many times that when Rondo is on his game and playing aggressively, the Celtics are very tough to beat.   Nelson has also been setting the stage for the Magic's stellar play of late. 

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard 
Dwight Howard is the heart of the Magic's offense and defense.   When he is on his game, it is impossible to stop him.  Hopefully Perk is healthy enough to slow him down, though.   

HonorableMention
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu 
Turkoglu always seems to have a big game against the Celtics. Who can forget his game winning shot vs the Celtics last season?    Pierce has been playing very well of late.  This should be a good matchup and defense will decide who gets the better of it.   

Connections
Doc Rivers coached the Magic from 1999-2004
Tony Battie played for the Celtics from 1999-2004
Mickael Pietrus, Adonal Foyle,  and Patrick O'Bryant were teammates in Golden State
Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were teammates in Seattle
Keith Bogans and Rajon Rondo are former Kentucky Wildcats
Keith Bogans and Eddie House were teammates in Charlotte
Anthony Johnson and Scal were teammates in New Jersey
Anthony Johnson played for Doc in Orlando
Clifford Ray was an assistant for the Magic and mentored Dwight Howard in his first years in the league. 

Keys to the Game
Focus:  The Celtics are on the road and playing in the second of back to back games against a well rested Magic team.   At times, the Celtics seem to lose focus on both ends of the court when they leave the friendly confines of the Garden.  They need to keep their focus and play their game and not let being on the road keep them from being aggressive and playing their tough team defense.

Defense   The Celtics are capable of lock down defense when they choose to play it.  We see it most of the time in the Garden but for some reason, they forget to bring it on the road.  They need to play that same tough defense that gave them blowouts in their last 2 games.   The Magic are tough inside and they are also a very good 3 point shooting team.  The Celtics need tough defense both in the paint and on the perimeter. 

Play 48 Minutes
The Celtics need to come out strong as if they are playing the world champions as it is certain that the Magic will do so.  They also need to keep up the pressure on the Magic for all 48 minutes of the game and not let up because if they get down, it will be very hard to come back against this tough Magic team. 

Take Care of the Ball
The Magic are a good fast break team and if the Celtics get sloppy with the ball, the Magic will make them pay with points off turnovers.   

Game Notes
The Magic are on the top of most power rankings this week after a successful 4-0 trip through the West.  They have won 7 games in a row and 9 of their last 10.  The Celtics seem to be back on track after their disastrous trip out West but this will be the biggest test for them so far.   The Magic are 16-3 at home while the Celtics are 14-7 on the road.  The Celtics didn't fare very well in the last two test games they had vs the Cavs and the Lakers but then again, they didn't play very well.  Let's hope they truly do have it back on track and will play like they are capable of playing. 

X-Factor
Rust vs Rest
The Magic are going to be well rested as they haven't played since Saturday when they completed their 4 game road trip where they went 4-0 against the Lakers, Nuggets, Kings, and Spurs.   Sometimes a 4 day layoff can work against a team as they come out rusty rather than rested.  On the other hand, the Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games and fatigue could be a problem.   

Re: Celtics (35-9) at Magic (33-8 )
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oh my freaking god, another TNT only night!!!

It's nights like this where being deaf isn't such a bad thing, I guess.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Oh my freaking god, another TNT only night!!!

It's nights like this where being deaf isn't such a bad thing, I guess.

Please tell me Fratello and Reggie are in LA!

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I want total Magic domination.

They are running with the title of "Best Team in Basketball" right now.

I want that title back!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I want a Celtics win.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shutdown Nelson.

Rondo/Nelson is the key, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:44:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
BTW, this TNT pregame show is hilarious.  Payton is an angry man and these guys are really bickering about All Star reserves.  EJ has his hands full controling this group.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
BTW, this TNT pregame show is hilarious.  Payton is an angry man and these guys are really bickering about All Star reserves.  EJ has his hands full controling this group.

The Glove's insistence that it was merely that people knew who John Stockton was was the ONLY reason he ever got the starting All-Star nod over himself was pretty funny. He seemed utterly convinced that there could be no question he was thrice the player Stockton was.

I like Webber on the show, entertaining and has decent insights.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Is it me or do our guys winded early?

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Celtics look pretty flat to start this game, something we havent seen during this recent 6 game stretch...rondo isnt pushing and pierce looks sluggish...none of them look like they even want to be there
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
too many offensive boards for the magic. but 3rd game in 4 nights vs. a 4 day rest can do that to a team. i expect the intensity to grow as the game goes on and players get in a flow.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Offensive rebounds! >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The refs are giving some BS foul calls.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Scal's gettin some love.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
wow, refs are whistle happy or what...my god
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce