Author Topic: John Havlicek  (Read 14836 times)

Re: John Havlicek
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 01:00:10 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Here's a favorite Havlicek memory:
I don't remember the year, but the Celts were playing the Baltimore Bullets at the Garden, and were leading by 14 with a couple of minutes left.  Elvin Hayes went on a tear and Baltimore scored 14 straight points to tie it with only a few seconds left.  Havlicek took the inbounds pass, raced down the right side of the court and drove the baseline.  Elvin Hayes made a nice play to jump out and block the baseline.
Without even pausing, Havlicek spun and dribbled towards the corner, with his back to the basket.  He then jumped, turned, and let it fly all in one motion, as time expired.  Nothing but net!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:18:20 PM by looseball »

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »

Offline paul

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
To me the great Celtics are, in order ...

Russell
Bird
Cousy
Cowens
Havlicek

Pierce
Mchale
DJ
White
Rondo?

I have to add Len Bias and Reggie Lewis as honorable mentions - oh what could have been! 

Greatest short term Celts ...

Walton
Garnett
Archibald
Ray
Silas

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
i went to havlicek's last game at the old garden against the buffalo braves...the single greatest sporting event i have ever been to in my whole life...do you remember obstructed view seats at the old garden...well i had one for this game...high up in the smoking rafters...standing ovation for 10 to 20 minutes while they warmed up...another 5 minutes standing ovation when they announced him in the starting line-up...another 5 minute standing ovation at the halftime ceremony...goose bumps were running thru me the whole time....in the last two minutes of the game he went bezerk...he was all over the court scoring, rebounding, passing, stealing and blocking shots...no joke...you had to be there...btw...they had a picture day that year before a game where they took instant pictures with all the celtics...hondo, sidney wicks, ernie d, kevin stacom, curtis rowe to mention a few...then they gave them to you in an orange basketball...anyone remember that...