Author Topic: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan  (Read 12636 times)

Re: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Scalabrine > Prime Donny Marshall

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

no question.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

So true. LOL
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
So i Just heard the interview, and to be fair they were talking about who he would take at 24 - MJ or Kobe, and he says Kobe...Cant really argue that I guess, he did say MJ was the greatest player to ever play in the NBA and better in his prime
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:12:32 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So i Just heard the interview, and to be fair they were talking about who he would take at 24 - MJ or Kobe, and he says Kobe...Cant really argue that, he did say MJ was the greatest player to ever play in the NBA and better in his prime

yea, i heard the back peddeling later about MJ, but to me, thats semantics as well. In this fantasy world where they are both 24, shouldn't MJ be accorded the ability to come to the pro's right out of HS ala kobe and get a head start on playing NBA ball?

to me 24-28 IS the NBA prime now, because guys come out so early.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
So i Just heard the interview, and to be fair they were talking about who he would take at 24 - MJ or Kobe, and he says Kobe...Cant really argue that, he did say MJ was the greatest player to ever play in the NBA and better in his prime

yea, i heard the back peddeling later about MJ, but to me, thats semantics as well. In this fantasy world where they are both 24, shouldn't MJ be accorded the ability to come to the pro's right out of HS ala kobe and get a head start on playing NBA ball?

to me 24-28 IS the NBA prime now, because guys come out so early.

I don't think 24 year old Jordan needs that extra experience.

Didn't he average 37 points per game when he was 24?

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
I really get sick of all the MJ Kobe talk, No one should take it seriously. All the proof you need is Game 4 in the finals last year. No way does Jordan ever lose a 24pt lead in a half to Lose a HOME game in the finals.
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I really get sick of all the MJ Kobe talk, No one should take it seriously. All the proof you need is Game 4 in the finals last year. No way does Jordan ever lose a 24pt lead in a half to Lose a HOME game in the finals.

Remember last season, the media (especially ESPN) kept comparing Kobe to MJ and calling Kobe "the best player on the planet?"  One of the reasons so many picked the Lakers over the Celtics is because the Lakers had "the best player on the plant."  After Kobe got spanked in the finals you never heard another word about it! LOL
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24

Remember last season, the media (especially ESPN) kept comparing Kobe to MJ and calling Kobe "the best player on the planet?"  One of the reasons so many picked the Lakers over the Celtics is because the Lakers had "the best player on the plant."  After Kobe got spanked in the finals you never heard another word about it! LOL
Now if only there was a way that they would never do it again, but wait till this post season, even if its just in the first round of the playoffs Mark Jackson and Van Gundy will start up with the best player on the planet thing again. Only now it will be him and Lebron fighting over it.
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
it's pretty clear people forget about MJ's greatness and it has been pelted into their brains for so long how good Bryant is, if Kobe is better than MJ the celtics should throw in the towel right now

Marshall has said before that Jordan was the greatest of all time, so rather than everyone taking it out of context - why don't you take it for what it's worth.  Marshall played against Jordan.

Like the other thread on here, Marshall feels Kobe is the best player in the league.  There are others that share his opinion.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make the person who said it an idiot, necessarily.  For example, I think all you who think LeBron is the greatest thing since sliced bread are idiots, but that doesn't mean you are.

Or does it?

it does
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'd actually have to agree, but i would take lebron at 24 over them both.

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Jordan averaged 37.1ppg at the age of 24. I'd take him over Kobe.

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Knowing what you know now you obviously take MJ at no matter the age.

But if you didn't know I think you have to take Kobe because his game was further along than Michael's was at the same age and only because Kobe studied MJ while growing up.

I think Kobe has a better jumpshot and more range than MJ but MJ was the superior athlete and defensive player. MJ also was ultra competitive and relentless....his will was beyond normal human comprehension and Kobe is up there but not anywhere near MJ's level.

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Jordan didn't have the same range as Kobe at 24 but he didn't really need it.  He was still scoring 37 a game and shooting around or over 50%.  Kobe has never been as good at taking it to the rim as Jordan was.  And there were no hand checking fouls called back then.  Jordan might have averaged 45 if hand checking was not allowed.

And I don't think I'd take a 24 yr old Lebron over MJ.  He's another guy that could take it to the rim every time but would rather shoot jump shots.

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm a big max fan. i always felt that this was about max dogging it coming back from his injury, bird calling him out for it, max denying that was true and resenting bird's words or belief on the subject.(i belive bird in this situation but what do i know)
   i don't think max likes bird. i think bird probably rarely  thinks of max but probably does'nt love him. bird ,while one of the best ever,(not dirk!)can be a real jerk.i  don't think for a second his "joke" about mchale deserving the executive of the year award was'nt tinged with a little bitterness towards ainge no matter what he says. i think he's trying to take away from ainge's accomplishment just a little.i think if the pacers had someone they wanted to buy out then boston would be the last place(other than l.a.) that he'd want that player going.i could be dead wrong.