Author Topic: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan  (Read 12637 times)

Re: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The great donny marshall against MJ:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=marshdo02&p2=jordami01

and againhst kobo:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=bryanko01&p2=marshdo02

So yeah, he played against MJ (or watched MJ from the bench) far more times than he did kobe
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
...and max would probably take nowitzki over bird.

amazing how quickly we forget how great some of those players were.

i'd lay money on a 2-on-2 matchup of bird and jordan vs. kobe and nowitzki (and i'm not a betting man). 

in his prime jordan was the GREATEST professional athlete on the planet, and i never feared a guy as much as him.  what he did with the chicago bulls during an era in which nba basketball was still a very good sport (and wasn't watered down by expansion and early entry candidates) was beyond amazing.

donny's missed the boat on this one...

It's amazing how Max's comments were taking out of context and run with as true!  I heard the original comment he made when he was on the Big Show a few years ago.  What he said was that IF Bird and Dirk were in the same draft (no one knows at this time how good either will be in the NBA), most GM's would take Dirk over Bird because of his size.  Max never once said he thought Dirk was better than Bird.  Big O and the others on the show started teasing him saying he said Dirk was better than bird (which he never did).  Then callers called angry at Max for saying Bird was better and it snowballed form there.  By the end of the show, Max gave up trying to explain what he meant. Big O knew what he meant, but he was just making fun and giving Max a hard time.  So that's the true story of what happened in that situation.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
is Kobe even better than a 40 yr old jordan? I dunnnnooo..

MJ against donnys nets at 40, maybe he forgets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TkvX356cpQ
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
...and max would probably take nowitzki over bird.

amazing how quickly we forget how great some of those players were.

i'd lay money on a 2-on-2 matchup of bird and jordan vs. kobe and nowitzki (and i'm not a betting man). 

in his prime jordan was the GREATEST professional athlete on the planet, and i never feared a guy as much as him.  what he did with the chicago bulls during an era in which nba basketball was still a very good sport (and wasn't watered down by expansion and early entry candidates) was beyond amazing.

donny's missed the boat on this one...

It's amazing how Max's comments were taking out of context and run with as true!  I heard the original comment he made when he was on the Big Show a few years ago.  What he said was that IF Bird and Dirk were in the same draft (no one knows at this time how good either will be in the NBA), most GM's would take Dirk over Bird because of his size.  Max never once said he thought Dirk was better than Bird.  Big O and the others on the show started teasing him saying he said Dirk was better than bird (which he never did).  Then callers called angry at Max for saying Bird was better and it snowballed form there.  By the end of the show, Max gave up trying to explain what he meant. Big O knew what he meant, but he was just making fun and giving Max a hard time.  So that's the true story of what happened in that situation.

max made the mistake of being a non-super homer on the big show. I don't get how people like that show. all it is is people asking decent questions (who are blown up) crazies who want to make stupid trades (who are blown up) and ball washers (who are lauded as great callers) while all 4 of the fat idiots debate how great the patriots are.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
 I didn't hear Donny's quote firsthand, but I'll just say that if he really feels this way...WOW. :o

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i didnt hear him say it on eei, but if he did indeed say that....he is a bigger idiot than i thought.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I didn't hear Donny's quote firsthand, but I'll just say that if he really feels this way...WOW. :o

You can go to WEEI.com, go to the Dale and Holley page and then search for the audiovault interviews, if you're interested in hearing the interview.  Might not be up yet though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Max never once said he thought Dirk was better than Bird.

I think you may be misremembering, or heard a different interview.  Here's Max's quote:

Quote from: Cedric Maxwell
Yes, if I had my choice in their prime, right now, between the two players, I would take Dirk. I’m not kicking at Larry, Because I think Larry..Larry was one of the greatest players to play the game. But again, If I had just pure physical ability, and if you take it from top to bottom, well, you tell me, what does Larry do better than Dirk does?

Link.

That seems fairly definitive.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
it's pretty clear people forget about MJ's greatness and it has been pelted into their brains for so long how good Bryant is, if Kobe is better than MJ the celtics should throw in the towel right now

Marshall has said before that Jordan was the greatest of all time, so rather than everyone taking it out of context - why don't you take it for what it's worth.  Marshall played against Jordan.

Like the other thread on here, Marshall feels Kobe is the best player in the league.  There are others that share his opinion.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make the person who said it an idiot, necessarily.  For example, I think all you who think LeBron is the greatest thing since sliced bread are idiots, but that doesn't mean you are.

Or does it?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
Max never once said he thought Dirk was better than Bird.

I think you may be misremembering, or heard a different interview.  Here's Max's quote:

Quote from: Cedric Maxwell
Yes, if I had my choice in their prime, right now, between the two players, I would take Dirk. I’m not kicking at Larry, Because I think Larry..Larry was one of the greatest players to play the game. But again, If I had just pure physical ability, and if you take it from top to bottom, well, you tell me, what does Larry do better than Dirk does?

Link.

That seems fairly definitive.
\

From that same article you quote:

CM: I just talked to Jerry Stackhouse about that. Not to say he’s a better player, I’m just saying he’s a better athlete, and there’s a lot of things that he can do that Larry Bird wouldn’t be able to do. Now I know that’ssacrilegious, and I might get cut off here by Eddie

Doesn't sound like he's saying Dirk was better.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
it's pretty clear people forget about MJ's greatness and it has been pelted into their brains for so long how good Bryant is, if Kobe is better than MJ the celtics should throw in the towel right now

Marshall has said before that Jordan was the greatest of all time, so rather than everyone taking it out of context - why don't you take it for what it's worth.  Marshall played against Jordan.

Like the other thread on here, Marshall feels Kobe is the best player in the league.  There are others that share his opinion.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make the person who said it an idiot, necessarily.  For example, I think all you who think LeBron is the greatest thing since sliced bread are idiots, but that doesn't mean you are.

Or does it?

how was it taken out of context? did you have them on at the time? it was a pretty direct question about who he would take on a fantasy team in thier prime in some alternate universe where he could have either at the age of 25, not about who was the best in todays nba.

Stop making excuses for marshall, he said that kobe is the better player, so apperntly he doesn't think MJ is the greatest of all time anymore. you are right that everyone is entitled to thier opnion, and donny is certainly free to think that kobe is the best player.

I'm also just as entitled to my  opinion that donny marshall is an idiot for even putting the two in the same sphere of greatness.

I'm not required to kiss the behind of the contrarian point of view simply because its "fresh and orginal thinking!!" and "off the cuff!"

I am in fact free to think he's an idiot.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:08:27 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think Donny has some sort of ill-will or dislike for MJ and he probably has some sort of reason.  

I remember a week or so ago when we lost to the Bobcats in Charlotte at some points in the waning moments of the game he kind of yelled into his Mike saying that MJ was standing up near them urging his guy on and he then said "Sit down MJ!". I was laughing pretty hard and had to replay it on DVR several times to enjoy the full effect.

I think Donny speaks a lot on his emotions and how guys treated him when he was a bench warmer so when MJ laughed him off or abused him in one game and talked trash to him he probably took it to heart.

As for my choice. I despise Kobe so i obviously cant take him but i think it is debateable and i would have to go with MJ.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The way I remember Max's tone was that he really felt Dirk was the better player.  I remember thinking maybe Max was jealous of Bird.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I think Donny has some sort of ill-will or dislike for MJ and he probably has some sort of reason.  

I remember a week or so ago when we lost to the Bobcats in Charlotte at some points in the waning moments of the game he kind of yelled into his Mike saying that MJ was standing up near them urging his guy on and he then said "Sit down MJ!". I was laughing pretty hard and had to replay it on DVR several times to enjoy the full effect.

I think Donny speaks a lot on his emotions and how guys treated him when he was a bench warmer so when MJ laughed him off or abused him in one game and talked trash to him he probably took it to heart.

As for my choice. I despise Kobe so i obviously cant take him but i think it is debateable and i would have to go with MJ.

Yeah I remember that too.  Could be that he's just jealous that he was never as good.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
He says lots of odd stuff. I don't watch pre and post game shows, interviews and all that jazz, but it bores me to have him on the league pass games. Not a good analyst and he never shuts up.