Author Topic: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan  (Read 12678 times)

Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
He was just on WEEI. ::)  Just one of the reasons I can't stand listening to him, not because he said he'd take Kobe over MJ, but because he says stupid things in general all the time and this is just another example.  He never struck me as that knowledgeable even though he played the game.

I wonder if Donny remembers Kobe in the finals against the Celtics last season.  No way MJ gets beat or shut down like that!  Sorry, Kobe is no MJ.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Donny Marshall: I'd Take Kobe over Michael Jordan
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yep, just one more reason why I don't respect Donny's opinion.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
...and max would probably take nowitzki over bird.

amazing how quickly we forget how great some of those players were.

i'd lay money on a 2-on-2 matchup of bird and jordan vs. kobe and nowitzki (and i'm not a betting man). 

in his prime jordan was the GREATEST professional athlete on the planet, and i never feared a guy as much as him.  what he did with the chicago bulls during an era in which nba basketball was still a very good sport (and wasn't watered down by expansion and early entry candidates) was beyond amazing.

donny's missed the boat on this one...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

"because he doesn't agree with me..."
God bless and good night!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, to be fair, donny of course played against kobe a ton of times in his illustrious career.  ::)

EDIT @ brick: no, because he's an idiot who lacks the basketball knowledge to pull off the WWE esqe "im a former superstar in the NBA, i know everyone's game down to the tiniest degree!" gimmick either he or CSN decided was a good move.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Nope, because he adds very little insight, and says stupid things just to attract attention to himself.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
He was just on WEEI. ::)  Just one of the reasons I can't stand listening to him, not because he said he'd take Kobe over MJ, but because he says stupid things in general all the time and this is just another example.  He never struck me as that knowledgeable even though he played the game.

I wonder if Donny remembers Kobe in the finals against the Celtics last season.  No way MJ gets beat or shut down like that!  Sorry, Kobe is no MJ.

That is absolutely absurd... I have now last what little respect I Had for the guy...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
hes Nuts
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well,donny has actually played against both of them, and he isnt the only one with that opinion, ive heards people like Marc Jackson, Jon Sally, even Scottie pippen say similar things...I tend to disagree, I dont think kobe could carry MJ's jock strap...I think when it comes to mental toughness Kobe isnt even on the same planet as MJ, I honestly believe Kobe is completly overrated, hardly better than Pierce, and undeserving off most of his accolades, the amount of times this guy has made 1st team all nba and defense is a joke

Anyone who would honestly take Kobe Bryant over MJ in a pickup game, video game, any game is just plain stupid imo
Kobe bryant right now is better than the 40 year old washingon wizards MJ(maybe)
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Did Donny miss the entire finals last year?

hes Nuts

Is that Tony Battie?  :o

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The funny thing is Holley offered him an out.  He must have mentioned this to Holley before because Holley asked Marshall if he wanted to change his mind about choosing Kobe over MJ and Marshall said no, he was sticking to his guns. LOL.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Well,donny has actually played against both of them, and he isnt the only one with that opinion, ive heards people like Marc Jackson, Jon Sally, even Scottie pippen say similar things...I tend to disagree, I dont think kobe could carry MJ's jock strap...I think when it comes to mental toughness Kobe isnt even on the same planet as MJ, I honestly believe Kobe is completly overrated, hardly better than Pierce, and undeserving off most of his accolades, the amount of times this guy has made 1st team all nba and defense is a joke

Donny played against MJ a possable 48 minutes. total over 4 of his 119 games (this is why its so hard tot ake him seriously when he tries to talk like a big shot)

now, donny was averaging 9 MPG that season, so its reasonable to assume he probley didnt see mike for all 48.

Kobe he played exactly once. he played 9 minutes, who knows if kobe was even on the floor.

so no, pardon me for not takign his gimmick of "the vet who's played them all!!!" serioulsy. they should just have him be donny marshall, not the name dropping machine. 119 games, most of which he played 5 minutes or less in do not a convincing "vetran commenter" make.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=marshdo02&match=game&year_min=1996&year_max=2003&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=LAL&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&pos=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:43 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
it's pretty clear people forget about MJ's greatness and it has been pelted into their brains for so long how good Bryant is, if Kobe is better than MJ the celtics should throw in the towel right now
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I agree absolutely with crownsy

No way
simply no way

MJ had perfect to almost perfect games everysingle one of them during playoff time

P.s. no it isnt Tony...lol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Nope, because he adds very little insight, and says stupid things just to attract attention to himself.

Is he the only one you feel this way about?  ;D
God bless and good night!