Author Topic: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?  (Read 48316 times)

Re: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I would like someone to explain to me how I highlight a prior post and then respond to it. I still haven't figured that one out.

I'm not sure what you mean.  To quote a post?  There are two ways.  You can click the "quote" option that is to the upper right of a post.  Or, you can insert the following:

Code: [Select]
[quote]Cut and paste what you want to respond to[/quote]
That should do the trick.

In terms of starting a new post, in what way do you find it complicated?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
THANKS so much for adding the celtics history section!!  appreciate that.  i didn't see it until tonight...

had a suggestion - on the right hand column for "forum links" do you think you could add the link there?  that's typically where my eyes go to when maneuvering around the site and i didn't see it there.

what caught my attention was the thread about havlicek and when i clicked on the thread i found this new section.

thanks again!!!  :D
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
THANKS so much for adding the celtics history section!!  appreciate that.  i didn't see it until tonight...

had a suggestion - on the right hand column for "forum links" do you think you could add the link there?  that's typically where my eyes go to when maneuvering around the site and i didn't see it there.

what caught my attention was the thread about havlicek and when i clicked on the thread i found this new section.

thanks again!!!  :D

Yep, we'll have the tech guys add it.  It may take a few days, but we'll get it taken care of.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I appreciate the feedback, but just so we are clear... there will never be swearing allowed on CelticsBlog as long as I'm in charge of it.

I don't think a big deal needs to be made about it.  I think it is a perfectly reasonable guideline.

I still think you might be better off decensoring the synonym of crap and the one that rhymes with miss. At the very least the one that rhymes with miss, it's quite a silly word that is quite often used in colloquial speech without offending anyone... heck we allow people here to salute the almighty Dick Tracy.

I'm fine with the F-bomb and the A-word and the derivatives being censored, but I think the ones above are quite harmless overall. But I do see the potential for abuse, but whatever. At the very least let us write "I'm ****ed off" wihtout much consequence even if it appears censored. I think that's one phrase that tons of members like to use and there aren't much equivalents out there to really capture the emotion and passion of such a beautiful phrase.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:01:38 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I appreciate the feedback, but just so we are clear... there will never be swearing allowed on CelticsBlog as long as I'm in charge of it.

I don't think a big deal needs to be made about it.  I think it is a perfectly reasonable guideline.

I still think you might be better off decensoring the synonym of crap and the one that rhymes with miss. At the very least the one that rhymes with miss, it's quite a silly word that is quite often used in colloquial speech without offending anyone... heck we allow people here to salute the almighty Dick Tracy.

I'm fine with the F-bomb and the A-word and the derivatives being censored, but I think the ones above are quite harmless overall. But I do see the potential for abuse, but whatever. At the verly let us write "I'm ****ed off" wihtout much consequence even if it appears censored.

I think what Jeff is trying to say, politely, is that he's considered all the alternatives, and he's not going to change his mind on this particular issue.

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I'm fine with the F-bomb and the A-word and the derivatives being censored, but I think the ones above are quite harmless overall. But I do see the potential for abuse, but whatever. At the verly let us write "I'm ****ed off" wihtout much consequence even if it appears censored.

I think what Jeff is trying to say, politely, is that he's considered all the alternatives, and he's not going to change his mind on this particular issue.

Yeah, I just wanted to throw my last two cents on that issue even if I know deep inside is a lost cause.

Anyways, any comments on my other suggestions like the ones regarding cleaning the forum sections a bit?

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Anyways, any comments on my other suggestions like the ones regarding cleaning the forum sections a bit?

We've currently got a list of all of the suggestions so far and are talking about them.  We've added the History forum and got rid of the weight loss ad.  I'm sure some of the other things will be addressed, as well.

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

We've currently got a list of all of the suggestions so far and are talking about them.  We've added the History forum and got rid of the weight loss ad.  I'm sure some of the other things will be addressed, as well.

Sounds good, as much as you guys like feedback, we also love your feedback on our feedback. It's a vicious cycle I tell you.

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

Sounds good, as much as you guys like feedback, we also love your feedback on our feedback. It's a vicious cycle I tell you.

Your feedback on our feedback on your feedback is welcomed.  And I welcome feedback on this issue as well.

somewhere Billy Corgan is holding down a guitar string with the amp cranked up and nodding his head in approval
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think the entertainment section is overkill, imo.  i think all those areas are covered in "off topic" and were covered ok there.  i think its way too much.

the celtics history section is cool and im interested to see how it goes.

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I saw this one coming.

I think its dominating the latest forum topics because people had a lot more to say about the stuff and now when its fresh is a good time to do it. I like it because you can carry on conversation over weeks about 1 show without a lot of tangents. I think after this initial flurry, he board will calm down a little and only the people who really like it will even notice it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Maybe a solution to the concern of Latest Topics is to expand the ammount of threads in that section? Maybe double it.

The Entertainment section is great.

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Crazy Idea - The CelticsBlog members participate in some sort of blogging competition, and Jeff hands the winner the reigns to the blog either for one off day during the season, or for a week during the summer (so Jeff can get a break). The competition is judged by Jeff, since it's his blog, and he'll be confident in the winner's competence to run the blog because the contest is designed not only to decide a clear-cut winner, but to prove that the winner can be trusted.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2009, 03:12:20 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
just one tiny suggestion. with the new site and format, often times the signatures folks have appear more prominately than their actual messages.

it is a distraction to have to sort through all the text to ignore the sig and read the post.

is there anyway to subdue the sigs, or make they easier to differentiate from the posts?

other than that i am really rather happy with celticsblog...as usual. :)

I definately agree with this one. Especially concerning Crownsy's sig!!

Also, there should be a restriction on posting youtube videos without first explaining in the post what the video is about.

Often times someone will post a video, and curiosity gets the better of me, so i have to click.  Alot of the times the videos themselves are semi-irrelevant or annoying.

If an explanation of the video was included, we could then decide for ourselves whether we want to watch it.

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2009, 03:14:41 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Crazy Idea - The CelticsBlog members participate in some sort of blogging competition, and Jeff hands the winner the reigns to the blog either for one off day during the season, or for a week during the summer (so Jeff can get a break). The competition is judged by Jeff, since it's his blog, and he'll be confident in the winner's competence to run the blog because the contest is designed not only to decide a clear-cut winner, but to prove that the winner can be trusted.

T43 angling for a takeover?

;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.