Author Topic: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?  (Read 48298 times)

Re: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I appreciate the feedback, but just so we are clear... there will never be swearing allowed on CelticsBlog as long as I'm in charge of it.

I don't think a big deal needs to be made about it.  I think it is a perfectly reasonable guideline.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I appreciate the feedback, but just so we are clear... there will never be swearing allowed on CelticsBlog as long as I'm in charge of it.

I don't think a big deal needs to be made about it.  I think it is a perfectly reasonable guideline.

Glad to hear it. Keep it clean but most importantly, keep it classy. If I wanted tasteless name calling I'd just call my Laker friend and call him horrible names.

Hmm now that gives me an idea.

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, I think the whole attitude around here is way too sensitive. What I mean by this is that often quite valid discussions are side-tracked because someone has some fantasy about things getting too personal. I don't know if the reason for it is because the rules here promote "cleaness and respect", but I think people are using the "disrespect" card too often and many many times for unwarranted reasons.

This is always a tough one.  Generally, you'll only see mods getting involved when people are 1) personally attacking one another, 2) everyone is ganging up on one guy and it's starting to show, or 3) somebody is being condescending and talking down to others.  All of those things lead to flame wars, and we try to step in.

Anyways, someone that can fix the Latest Forum Topic in the main page... it's out of sync with the forum one.

This won't be possible until the forums are fully integrated with the front page.  Due to the various software involved, this is a harder undertaking than it sounds.  It's definitely on the list, though.

If possible, to have some editing buttons in the Quick Reply section, so that we can easily quote, bold, put image tags, etc.

We'll look into this and see if a modification to our forums software is available.

I'd love an Entertainment (TV Shows and Movies) section. I think there are many people here that would participate in such a section if well organized. What I mean by this is to restrict threads to 1 thread per tv show/movie and exhort people to properly tag and title the threads (and mods to fix them when necessary).

What I mean by the above is that threads called "Is someone watching LOST tonight?" is really a poor way to call a thread. I think a more organized template like simply "TV: Lost" or "Movie: The Incredible Hulk", and things of that manner would do wonders for better discussion and organization.

I think one reason we haven't done something like this is because there doesn't seem to be a demand for it; most of our decisions in terms of subforums are regarding areas where there is a lot of pre-existing discussion (the Bruins forum being the one exception).

I also think proper punctuation and capitalization in thread titles is a must. At the very least have the first word capitalized. It makes the forum look that much clear and organized. Just something simple that I think would improve the look of the place.

You and Redz are kindred spirits in this regard.  He edits the thread titles from time to time. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

WOW!!! :o :o :o

Jeff throwing his weight around!!!

Way to go, Jeff. Keep it clean or go elsewhere. Expressing oneself in a civil and dignified manner is a good thing and goes a long way towards maintaining the high quality that blogging at Celticsblog is all about.

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sometimes you simply need to create the forum so that discussion on the topic is encouraged. Better organization also encourages it. I'm a admin (realy a super mod) for a small community that is not highly dominated by North Americans, and with the few people that visit us, we manage some great disccussions in our TV Shows and Movies section, because 1. the section exist, and 2. it's very organized. As long as those two requirements are met, everything should flow naturally.

I guess my point is that you'll never know until you try, and you can always just dump the threads back in to the Off-Topic and eliminate the forum if it doesn't perform to expectations. But I think there's quite a few people here that would make the forum worthwhile. Especially when Jack Bauer is around.

Edit; While we're at it, the Foros en Español has to go, even if it's Edgar's baby. That's a ghost town.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:53:02 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Speaking of Foros en Español, I think some forums need to be combined or eliminated:

The International Zone, doesn't warrant their own forum. Maybe make the Around the NBA a more broad section, even though it'll be dominated by NBA discussion. But heck, even the International Basketball forum is filled with talk about NBA players, etc.

Graphics and Multimedia forum could be easily be combined into one forum. I really don't see the advantage of having them separated.

The Welcome to Celtics Blog forum should really be combined with Community, maybe as a child forum inside of it.

There's no need to have the "Using CelticsBlog" and "Comments and Remarks" section. They both really serve the same purpose. Just combine them and rename the forum something more appropiate.

The above changes should make this forum easier to use and more organized.

Edit: The NBA Draft should really be a child forum inside of Around the NBA. I don't think it needs to be in the Index page of the forum.

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think forum topics about trade rumors should be titled Trade Rumor:.  I hate opening the blog and I see something like "TA and Scal for Marion !!!", I think it is real then I click on it and its just some completely made up rumor.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
The colors yellow and purple should be banned from the site, and Laker trolls should be hunted down and forced to watch game 6 of the finals again to shut them up.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
And for my position not to be Doc Rivers, thats as bad as Scalabrine or TA.  :(
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
This use to be easier to navigate. Maybe you need drop menus to take less space and put more substance. I understand the need for ads (to fund the site), but less buttons and more substance is what I'd like to see...

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 05:48:58 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think it would be cool if the "Fanposts" feature was revamped.  Right now it just acts like a less user friendly forum, but it seems like it would work really well as a vehicle for non CB-staffers to post their own original articles (that seems like what it was designed for, actually).

Maybe to get it there, you could put a requirement on tenure for posters there, and a minimum word requirement?  As it stands now, I think it isn't seeing much use.

Oh and I love to swear but y'know... since I don't want to host my own website I'll abide  :-X

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
just one tiny suggestion. with the new site and format, often times the signatures folks have appear more prominately than their actual messages.

it is a distraction to have to sort through all the text to ignore the sig and read the post.

is there anyway to subdue the sigs, or make they easier to differentiate from the posts?

other than that i am really rather happy with celticsblog...as usual. :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
just one tiny suggestion. with the new site and format, often times the signatures folks have appear more prominately than their actual messages.

it is a distraction to have to sort through all the text to ignore the sig and read the post.

is there anyway to subdue the sigs, or make they easier to differentiate from the posts?

other than that i am really rather happy with celticsblog...as usual. :)

If not mistaken, I think there's an option in your settings that disables signatures. Take a look and see if there's one.

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I've actually done a bunch of different fanposts. I try to use it to play sports journalist as if I were working at a newspaper. I always wanted to do that for a living but I was way to good at mathematics and science in school so engineering school was in my future and not liberal arts. Now that the internet and blogging sites have opened this type of opportunity to people, I, in my very simplistic and very sophomoric way try to right an op-ed piece or a column every once in a while.

When I want to post humor or something I want to discuss and hear a lotof views on or just news, then I start threads in the forums as compared to the fanposts. Of course, before SBN I was doing it all in the forums. Now, I just separate them according to the aforementioned criteria of what I am trying to do with the OP.

Oh, and you've been doing an excellent job with your Fanposts, as well as some others contributors - I'm not going to try to name everybody, because I'll forget someone, but among others currently there, the posts about the Garnett/LeBron pre-game routine, IndeedProceed's one about the JailBlazers, yours about Charlotte and the revisiting Gomes one are good posts, I think. You and those guys should write more - I'm pretty sure you'd have been a successful writer if you had chosen a different academic path. It's just that some other Fanposts are nowhere near that level.

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the content control here is appropriate. I agree with Jeff that swearing is a crutch, is boring, and boarish.  I find the level of knowledge here very good.  There are alot of very smart, well informed fans. 

What I don't like: the new format. I find it too commercial, and the layout is rather chaotic. I strongly preferred the prior layout. And one of the ads particularly irks me, the before and after pix of the fat guy. That is just gross. It belongs in the back of a fitness, or ****, magazine, but not here. I know you have to pay the bills, but would hope there was a better way.

I find it too complicated to start a new post here.

I would like someone to explain to me how I highlight a prior post and then respond to it. I still haven't figured that one out.