Author Topic: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?  (Read 49094 times)

Re: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
1. Find someone to do the Daily Links when FLCeltsFan is on well deserved vacations. That stuff is precious.

That would definitely be ideal, and we'd love to have volunteers.  If anybody wants to be FL's apprentice, let us know.  (Posting the links isn't as easy as it looks.  From what FL tells us, it's a minimum 2 hour process each morning.  It's something that we may be able to do on a reduced basis in FL's absence, though.)

2. Clean the crappy posts in the Fansposts section. It's kind of lame of me to suggest this, as I've never written a single fanpost so far and I don't know if I ever will - although I'm planning one! -, but what's the point of having some of the those posts there? Yeah, it's not like one is forced to read them, but I think that some minimal requirements in terms of quality wouldn't hurt. I've checked another SB sites and CB's fanposts sections is the worst by far. Trade ideas, SIGN MY SON, I luv Jimmy!, Vote X... ???

We do this from time to time.  Partially, we feel bad about just deleting somebody's post, but ultimately it is up to people to follow the rules.  We'll go through and cull them soon.

3. There's no such thing as "soccer". It's called football. Rename that forum. :P

Haha.  This forum is based in Boston, where our professional team plays Major League Soccer.  The name is here to stay. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
i dont want to sound like a jerk, and certainly do not want this held against me (which i am fearful will happen, but oh well).....i think there could be more consistency amongst the mods.  i realize that it is difficult to do bc each mod has a different posting style, interpretation, and approach to moderating the forums.  but i think there could be more consistency on how to approach posters, threads, and material that needs their attention.  some mods let certain things slide, while others dont.  again, not trying to be a jerk, just giving my honest observation.

It's something we will look into.  The most important thing I'd emphasize is, read the rules and obey the rules (which you, personally, do).  I agree that some mods are more lenient than others, but ultimately, members should expect the rules to be strictly enforced.  If they're not, that's a product of benevolence / leniency, rather than an indictment of the rule.

The above applies to public warnings, editing of posts, etc.  In terms of actual punishment / suspensions / bans, those are all discussed amongst the entire staff, until a consensus is reached.  That prevents one mod from becoming "ban happy" (which has never happened, by the way.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
i dont want to sound like a jerk, and certainly do not want this held against me (which i am fearful will happen, but oh well).....i think there could be more consistency amongst the mods.  i realize that it is difficult to do bc each mod has a different posting style, interpretation, and approach to moderating the forums.  but i think there could be more consistency on how to approach posters, threads, and material that needs their attention.  some mods let certain things slide, while others dont.  again, not trying to be a jerk, just giving my honest observation.

It's something we will look into.  The most important thing I'd emphasize is, read the rules and obey the rules (which you, personally, do).  I agree that some mods are more lenient than others, but ultimately, members should expect the rules to be strictly enforced.  If they're not, that's a product of benevolence / leniency, rather than an indictment of the rule.

The above applies to public warnings, editing of posts, etc.  In terms of actual punishment / suspensions / bans, those are all discussed amongst the entire staff, until a consensus is reached.  That prevents one mod from becoming "ban happy" (which has never happened, by the way.)

Come on Roy.  Lets be honest here.

It takes the power off all the Mods to hold off Redz ban hammer. 

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
With a lot more traffic coming from other SBNation blog members since joining that network, it would be nice, in the comments to blog posts, if the "home blog" of each poster could be displayed.  It just gets confusing sometimes reading comments and not knowing what team's perspective the commenter is coming from.

Also want to second Bankshot's suggestion of more integration between forum and blog.

Thanks for all the work you guys put into the site!

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
With a lot more traffic coming from other SBNation blog members since joining that network, it would be nice, in the comments to blog posts, if the "home blog" of each poster could be displayed.  It just gets confusing sometimes reading comments and not knowing what team's perspective the commenter is coming from.

Also want to second Bankshot's suggestion of more integration between forum and blog.

Thanks for all the work you guys put into the site!

I would like to see more members of SBNation post in the "Around the NBA" forum.  Always good to hear what is happening to other NBA teams from their fans perspective.  (Just no Laker trolls)

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Dont know if this was mentioned but here goes. I know some people asked why we cant swear on the forum, and I agree with the responses of why not. However, as many other people have admitted, we use swearing in everyday life. Whether someone angers you, or if ur just B-S-ing with friends. The reason I would prefer to be able to cuss, is because it allows us to basically have conversations how we would at a sports bar, or game, etc. It would limit the creativity of the post, but sometimes we try to get creative on how to disguise the word. lol. All in all it would just allow us to be ourselves, freedom of speach baby!

*****Maybe there can be a new section of the forum titled "Unadulterated" or "Uncensored" or whatever. Where if u feel u need to go and swear u can go in there and call POB a putty cat, or Tony Allen a ...or if u just plain like swearing. If not its cool. I get my swears in daily anyways. lol************
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:38:15 PM by Wide Load »

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A save button next to the Post and Preview buttons when posting I can't tell you how many times I type up or format a long post only to have myself hit the Back button or accidently hit some link on thepage and then lose everything I had done. If there was a Save button, similar to the way it is when responding to the articles in the front page or when doing a Fanpost, I could hit it periodically and then I wouldn't lose a ton of hard work.

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I love cursing, remove the censorship!

On a more serious note, I think some censored words should be allowed in my opinion. They're not that bad, like the synonym of crap and the one that rhymes with 'miss'. How often have I wanted to write "I'm so missed-off" but couldn't. I don't think that type of line is offensive at all. Although there's potential for abuse in the way the words are used, but for that reason there's a "Report to moderator" option.

Also, I think the whole attitude around here is way too sensitive. What I mean by this is that often quite valid discussions are side-tracked because someone has some fantasy about things getting too personal. I don't know if the reason for it is because the rules here promote "cleaness and respect", but I think people are using the "disrespect" card too often and many many times for unwarranted reasons.

So in all, I really don't care when the mods step in into a situation because "it's getting too personal". I'd rather they'd intervene if there's some actual insulting and cursing going on or if the thread went a bit offtopic, but not because some oversensitive person starts thinking they're out to get him. So, I bring this up because often I find myself walking on egg shells around here to comform to what is deemed as accepted behavior. Someone goes a bit out of the way, and suddenly someone feels offended without real reason because I think they've become to sensitive because of what is considered here accepted behavior or not. Maybe a valid comparison might be a high class family that's all about being courtous all the time, and somehow being offended by the way someone of lower class speaks. Not perfect, but you might get the idea (I hope). In all, I just hope people around here stop being so sensitive when a discussion guess a bit heated (funny thing is that it often starts because of lack of reading comprehension and a misunderstanding).

Anyways, those are just my 2 cents... I guess this was an opportunity to get some things off my chest hehe. I bet I'll be in the minority with the issues above.

Anyways, someone that can fix the Latest Forum Topic in the main page... it's out of sync with the forum one.

If possible, to have some editing buttons in the Quick Reply section, so that we can easily quote, bold, put image tags, etc.

I'd love an Entertainment (TV Shows and Movies) section. I think there are many people here that would participate in such a section if well organized. What I mean by this is to restrict threads to 1 thread per tv show/movie and exhort people to properly tag and title the threads (and mods to fix them when necessary).

What I mean by the above is that threads called "Is someone watching LOST tonight?" is really a poor way to call a thread. I think a more organized template like simply "TV: Lost" or "Movie: The Incredible Hulk", and things of that manner would do wonders for better discussion and organization.

I also think proper punctuation and capitalization in thread titles is a must. At the very least have the first word capitalized. It makes the forum look that much clear and organized. Just something simple that I think would improve the look of the place.

I think I'm done with the rambling.

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 04:11:42 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
on the main board i'd love to see a link to the box score after games. i end up having to go to espn for it.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
A save button next to the Post and Preview buttons when posting I can't tell you how many times I type up or format a long post only to have myself hit the Back button or accidently hit some link on thepage and then lose everything I had done. If there was a Save button, similar to the way it is when responding to the articles in the front page or when doing a Fanpost, I could hit it periodically and then I wouldn't lose a ton of hard work.
I agree Nick. The same thing has happened to me before, as well. My advice to you would be, as long as there isn't a save button, to write your longer posts in microsoft word. Or, you could just highlight and copy your post from time to time, so that if you lost it, you could paste it right back in.

My other pet peeve about the site is that ever since it switched to SBN I've had to scroll over to look at Latest Forum Topics, which can get very annoying. I'm assuming you guys had no real choice but to make the site this way, or else you wouldn't have, but do you anticipate being able to change it back any time soon?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
My other pet peeve about the site is that ever since it switched to SBN I've had to scroll over to look at Latest Forum Topics, which can get very annoying. I'm assuming you guys had no real choice but to make the site this way, or else you wouldn't have, but do you anticipate being able to change it back any time soon?

On the front page, right below the big Celticsblog logo, is a gray box.  Inside there, there are options for "narrow" and "wide".  If you click on "narrow", does that help you at all?

EDIT:  Same thing inside the forums.  In the part where it says "Welcome Toine43", and has the options for Forum Home, Profile, etc., there should be options at the bottom for "Narrow" or "Wide".

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Wow, I guess u mods are on top of ur game. I tried to pass a couple of incognito cuss words and Wideload caught it. lol. My bad WL, i didnt think they were that bad. Thanks for leaving the Obryant one in. I guess u must agree. lol

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
on the main board i'd love to see a link to the box score after games. i end up having to go to espn for it.

We usually cut and paste the Celtics side of the box score on the post that follows every game.  You just have to click "Read More" to see it.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
A save button next to the Post and Preview buttons when posting I can't tell you how many times I type up or format a long post only to have myself hit the Back button or accidently hit some link on thepage and then lose everything I had done.

Oh man so true, when that happens I just give up and find the first thread that will annoy me and legally rip it into it.

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 04:29:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
A save button next to the Post and Preview buttons when posting I can't tell you how many times I type up or format a long post only to have myself hit the Back button or accidently hit some link on thepage and then lose everything I had done.

Oh man so true, when that happens I just give up and find the first thread that will annoy me and legally rip it into it.

Haha.  It's happened here, too.  The thing I recommend for important posts (i.e., posts like our "GM press conferences" in the draft) is writing them on Notepad, and cutting and pasting them over.

I think the problem with some of the technical issues is that they're not a Celticsblog issue or a SBN issue, but rather an issue with our forums software (SMF).  If I see any upgrades for issues like that, I'll suggest they be implemented.