Author Topic: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?  (Read 48300 times)

Re: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How about having two latest forum topics menus. One can be a Latest Celtics Topics and include all the material in the Celtics Basketball section(Celtics talk, Around the NBA, Trade Ideas, The Draft, NBA Basketball and Tickets and Meet ups) and the other could be Latest Dicscussion Topics and include everything from the Other Discussions area and the Celticsblog area(Off Topics Graphics, Multimedia, Announcements, Community, Using Celticsblog, Welcome to Celticsblog, etc).

This way those that want just Celtics talk have an area to reference and those that want to discuss other topics have their area to reference. Also, this way Current Events can once again be seen somewhere on the Latest Forums area and have a bit more traffic.  

I think we'll be putting Current Events back into the LTP menu. 

I think the only problem (beyond the technical issues, which I can't really speak to) with the suggestion is space.  There is only so much room on the front page presently, and adding another discussion widget may be difficult.  We could tack it on, but I'm not sure it would get a lot of traffic.

I'm sure it's something that we'll consider, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I echo Andy's suggestion regarding the Celtics History section. I was born in '84 so I'd love for a place to learn more from the wise elders on the forum. 

Additionally, it may not be feasible, but I'd suggest allowing each individual member to customize what he or she sees in Latest Forum Topics. For example, if someone did not want to see topics from the NFL forum or Current Events forum, they would be able to screen those forums out from their panels.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I'm a stats guy and appreciate the stats you provie on the players.  What is missing, are comparison stats with other teams and their players.  I would prefer to stay at your site rather than go to other sites like ESPN.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »

Offline waiting for #18

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
A separate version (a click at the top of the page) for a no or limited-graphics version for those of us still stuck with a dial-up connection. Please.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't actually think I'd change anything.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
A separate version (a click at the top of the page) for a no or limited-graphics version for those of us still stuck with a dial-up connection. Please.

I don't believe we have a link (although we may), but there *is* a low-graphics version.  You can find it here:  http://mobile.celticsblog.com/

Try bookmarking that.  Also, to reach the forums directly (bypassing the front page) you can go to http://forums.celticsblog.com

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
5-10 frame avatars instead of static so i could make GIFS of celtics players owning fools. (first up if that ever happens, KG posterizing gasol.)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
in discussing the blog with some newer posters, it has been brought to my attention that newer posters do not always feel welcomed, are intimidated, or feel their posts are "brushed" off by some of the older posters and mods.  which is why i created a thread for newer posters to discuss their thoughts, feelings, and input (similar to this one).  it didnt catch on the way i had hoped though, partially because people cracked jokes rather than give constructive feedback.  i got some nice feedback from a few people via pm's though.  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=24644.0

i dont really have any gripes with the blog, in terms of the content, discussions, and layout, because they are all great.  i think there are some posters who are rude, but that is a reflection of society...this place is just a microcosim of society.  

i dont want to sound like a jerk, and certainly do not want this held against me (which i am fearful will happen, but oh well).....i think there could be more consistency amongst the mods.  i realize that it is difficult to do bc each mod has a different posting style, interpretation, and approach to moderating the forums.  but i think there could be more consistency on how to approach posters, threads, and material that needs their attention.  some mods let certain things slide, while others dont.  again, not trying to be a jerk, just giving my honest observation.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
one other idea.....

i am one who sometimes "chats" with other posters while we are both online thru our private messages.  is it feasible to have an instant messaging-type thing to make it easier and quicker?

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
one other idea.....

i am one who sometimes "chats" with other posters while we are both online thru our private messages.  is it feasible to have an instant messaging-type thing to make it easier and quicker?

There's an instant message option in the chat room.  I'm not sure if it's something that we could do with our PMs.  We can look into it, anyway.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
1. Find someone to do the Daily Links when FLCeltsFan is on well deserved vacations. That stuff is precious.

2. Clean the crappy posts in the Fansposts section. It's kind of lame of me to suggest this, as I've never written a single fanpost so far and I don't know if I ever will - although I'm planning one! -, but what's the point of having some of the those posts there? Yeah, it's not like one is forced to read them, but I think that some minimal requirements in terms of quality wouldn't hurt. I've checked another SB sites and CB's fanposts sections is the worst by far. Trade ideas, SIGN MY SON, I luv Jimmy!, Vote X... ???

3. There's no such thing as "soccer". It's called football. Rename that forum. :P

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
1. Find someone to do the Daily Links when FLCeltsFan is on well deserved vacations. That stuff is precious.

2. Clean the crappy posts in the Fansposts section. It's kind of lame of me to suggest this, as I've never written a single fanpost so far and I don't know if I ever will - although I'm planning one! -, but what's the point of having some of the those posts there? Yeah, it's not like one is forced to read them, but I think that some minimal requirements in terms of quality wouldn't hurt. I've checked another SB sites and CB's fanposts sections is the worst by far. Trade ideas, SIGN MY SON, I luv Jimmy!, Vote X... ???

3. There's no such thing as "soccer". It's called football. Rename that forum. :P

Haha, TP cordobes.

As for fan posts etc, I don't think I've ever written one or ever really plan to.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
How about not having to log into both the front page and the forums?  Logging into one should give you access to the whole site.  Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
How about not having to log into both the front page and the forums?  Logging into one should give you access to the whole site.  Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Unfortunately, you are for now correct, Bankshot.  But I believe this is on the list of goals the staff would like to advance with in the time to come.  Not sure what the timetable will be on that though.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I've actually done a bunch of different fanposts. I try to use it to play sports journalist as if I were working at a newspaper. I always wanted to do that for a living but I was way to good at mathematics and science in school so engineering school was in my future and not liberal arts. Now that the internet and blogging sites have opened this type of opportunity to people, I, in my very simplistic and very sophomoric way try to right an op-ed piece or a column every once in a while.

When I want to post humor or something I want to discuss and hear a lotof views on or just news, then I start threads in the forums as compared to the fanposts. Of course, before SBN I was doing it all in the forums. Now, I just separate them according to the aforementioned criteria of what I am trying to do with the OP.