Author Topic: Trade Prosposal. Celtics Trade Tony, Giddens, Scally  (Read 3772 times)

Trade Prosposal. Celtics Trade Tony, Giddens, Scally
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

And 2010 1st round pick for, Joe Alexander and Charlie The Villain Villanueva.

Chris Broussard From Espn just reported that both of these guys are on the trading Block. Along with J oneal  For Sean Marion Possibility.

Word is they have already given up on Joe. He doesn't listen well and can't move well enough on D to play the three.
They also are concerned about the cap so they would love to get rid of Joe's pretty phat contract over the next three years.

For us we get a guy that is putting up 13.5 PPG and 6.3 boards per game. And some much needed scoring talent coming off the bench.

Also I'm intrigued about Alexander. I'm sure he could fit in somewhere down the road. Or be future trade bait.  And if we did make that trade how would Doc use Him?

Re: Trade Prosposal. Celtics Trade Tony, Giddens, Scally
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i like charlie V, but i dont see this happening.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:01:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No way Milwaukee does that.  They are giving up by far the two best players in the deal, and not getting much back.

Not to mention, we cannot trade our 2010 pick until after the 2009 draft.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
apparently joe a. is on his way to memphis as part of a trade for mike conley.

i like charlie v. but danny simply has no assets available.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
... delete this, please.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
No way Milwaukee does that.

Agreed. But if I am Ainge, I don't do this trade either.

Charlie Villanueva is undoubtedly a gifted basketball player. Or a gifted scorer and very solid rebounder. His passing has been improving as of lately. However:
- he's wildly inconsistent. Tony Allen-lite. He can't keep the focus. He has a superb 4th quarter in a game and he completely sucks in the next one. He's not reliable or dependable and he's already in his 4th season in the league.
- he's one of the most inefficient PFs in the game. He's mostly a jump-shooter. He has terrible shot-selection. He still doesn't have a go to low post move.
- he can be an awesome passer at times, but he's often too selfish and focused on getting his shot.
- he is defence-less. He's trying more, but sometimes he's just amazingly bad. This is the main reason I wouldn't like him.
- he can only play PF. I don't see the point of having 3 backup PFs (or 4, if you count Alexander).
- he's showing more in-game effort this season than in past years, I think, but he's in a contract year. And that begs another question: what would we do with him? Would this be a 3 months rental? A 1 year rental? Are we going to pay the man to keep him for the future?

Alexander is a bad basketball player right now. I'd like to think both Giddens and Walker are better than him. Poor fundamentals, very raw, not a very good feeling for the game, poor lateral quickness. How would Doc use him? I don't think he would use him at all, at least this season. His ceiling is probably Matt Harpring. That's a very good player, but that's also his absolute ceiling. I don't know if he's ever going to be better than Scalabrine.

Why wouldn't the Bucks do this? Because these guys still have "Potential" and teams that are buyers in the P-word market (or that really need a scoring PF like CV) will be offering more than Tony+Giddens+Scal. And, as Chris said "Not to mention, we cannot trade our 2010 pick until after the 2009 draft."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:48:48 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd give up TA/JR and a 2nd Rounder to take a flyer on Joe Alexander. A lotto pick with High potential and a "Maniacal work ethic"(according to DX) is bound to fit in with the Celtics. Good team defense could probably hide his deficiencies on that end of the floor.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
i have an interest in players that can swing between the 3 and the 4 and can shoot from the outside.

Charlie V has the offensive talent to be effective at both positions. Way too early to know about Alexander.

defense is certainly the biggest question for both. at the 3 and the 4. strength to guard the 4 and quickness to guard the 3.

I actually like Charlie V a lot. although he has a little of Lamar Odom/Drew Gooden thing where you just can't tell if they enjoy playing all the time...which affects their effort.

both guys were pretty high draft picks and Charlie has actually produced, so i think MIL would be hesitant to move either unless they were getting something pretty attractive in return.

personally, i'd like to see more of Walker because he could end up being better than both.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'd give up TA/JR and a 2nd Rounder to take a flyer on Joe Alexander. A lotto pick with High potential and a "Maniacal work ethic"(according to DX) is bound to fit in with the Celtics. Good team defense could probably hide his deficiencies on that end of the floor.

DX is wrong. Terrible balance and coordination, not the most fluid and natural basketball player out there. I don't see any kind of high ceiling. Great work ethic I believe, and that's important, but he'll need to work a lot just to become a semi-decent NBA player. I don't think we need another project this season (besides, he's already 22 years old).

Team defense can't hide deficiencies of individual defenders. I mean, it can hide, but they'll still be there and be felt on the game score. Our system is highly sustained in the ability of the perimeter players to force and contain the dribble drives. Alexander wouldn't see a minute out of garbage time with the C's this season.

i have an interest in players that can swing between the 3 and the 4 and can shoot from the outside.

Charlie V has the offensive talent to be effective at both positions. Way too early to know about Alexander.

defense is certainly the biggest question for both. at the 3 and the 4. strength to guard the 4 and quickness to guard the 3.

I actually like Charlie V a lot. although he has a little of Lamar Odom/Drew Gooden thing where you just can't tell if they enjoy playing all the time...which affects their effort.

Well, offensively they're both perimeter oriented players - CV, a jump-shooting PF, is vastly superior, of course. Alexander has a turnaround jumper he usually misses, can hit some treys and finish the breaks (although he doesn't have the ability change directions while dribbling or driving to the basket, something that severely limits his potential).

None of this guys can defend the 3, so you basically have to play them at the 4. Worse than that, they're also lousy defenders at the 4.

CV can look like an All-NBA player here and there. Odom, while a better player as of now (and with a different skill-set), is a good comparison.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »

Offline gucci74

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
you guys are really into this I like your thoughts how about Channing Frye lenght 6'11 shot blocker can play 3 or 4 and can shoot and run maybe Puitt and Giddens

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I've been watching the Bucks game and Villanueva is putting up a basketball clinic. I'm embarrassed for Nowitzki, there's nothing he can do. When this guy balls, he's an unstoppable offensive force. 

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I've been watching the Bucks game and Villanueva is putting up a basketball clinic. I'm embarrassed for Nowitzki, there's nothing he can do. When this guy balls, he's an unstoppable offensive force. 

Which makes him that much more frustrating. 

I think he is destined to have a Tim Thomas type career.  He will be a journeyman, who will frustrate everyone, because of his inability (or lack of desire) to take advantage of his tremendous gifts.  But later in his career, I think he will round into a decent role player, on the right team.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
trading Tony and Giddens together doesn't make sense, too similar.