Author Topic: The First Annual Scott Layden Award  (Read 5756 times)

Re: The First Annual Scott Layden Award
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
i'm going to give kerr a little slack here...

he understands that the way this team was going (all offense and no defense) would NEVER win a title in phoenix.

so he brings in a new coach with a new philosophy and it's very PAINFUL for this team to make this change, notably steve nash who still makes remarks regarding this new direction.

kerr is put in a tough position, and he's going to end up blowing that team apart.

D'Antoni's Suns were average defensive teams.

This season Suns are a terrible defensive team.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

he understands that the way this team was going (all offense and no defense) would NEVER win a title in phoenix.

so he brings in a new coach with a new philosophy and it's very PAINFUL for this team to make this change, notably steve nash who still makes remarks regarding this new direction.

kerr is put in a tough position, and he's going to end up blowing that team apart.

...because they want to run like crazy and they're not allowed to.  listen to their quotes closely and you sense some rebellion.

don't forget: when the offense is running smoothly it makes it much easier (and more fun) to play defense.  ever see the guy who scores run like hell to the defensive end?  the same principle applies to the entire team...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think that is more a player issue than coaching. Marion allowed them to do a lot of things on the defensive end, Diaw too. Plus it doesn't help that many of the other key players keep getting older, Bell was a very good defender the first couple of years with the Suns.

Another factor that does relate to coaching is the effort. The Suns believed in D'Antoni's system and that translated into effort on both ends. The upheaval has the team down. Its hard to fight for post position when you don't believe you have a future with the team.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Hmmm ... there's a lot of candidates.

Charlotte and Chicago look the frontrunners to me. I'm going to go with a tie between these two for the award.

Oh no wait, Golden State Warriors beat both out to the title.