Author Topic: bruins trade options  (Read 4742 times)

bruins trade options
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With sturm out of the year, bergeron imo out of the year also, lucic still hurt, kessel sick , and one of ward,ference always out we really need to make a trade for a piece or two. Defensively we are as sound as it gets in the league. Even with unskilled players any team with discipline and good goaltending can be good defensively. (look at minnesota)

losing to washington the other night 2-1 and recently only winning games against teams like islanders by 1 really makes you think we need more offensive minded players that won't hurt us on defense . (cuz st. pierre, karsums, sobotka, noki, yelle, axelson) are not doing it.

Some players we could seriously use are

Michael Nylander - Could give up lashoff, karsums, 4th round pick for example

Keith Tkatchuk - same as above

Eric Cole - Will take above and higher pick like 2nd round

Brendan Shannahan would have been really sweet pickup but we lost out to nj.

Also keep in mind we have manny fernandez to use as trade bait. Tim Thomas i think can be trusted, has been durable and he is the guy i would like to resign after this year.

who else could we use? (prob get an expiring contract needing cash to resign kessel, krecji, hunwhick, thomas or get a young cheaper contract we could think about having for the long term)

Re: bruins trade options
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 11:55:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, the only way I see them trading Fernandez is if they get an offer they can't turn down.

Really, I think the only moves they make are minor ones (althoug the guys you mentioned would fit into this category).  I think they would like to find someone who could slide onto their second or third line, and provide a little more experience, but who does not cost them any of their top young players.

My guess is the guys they will be looking to move (if anyone) will be guys like Lashoff and Stuart, and potentially some draft picks. 

To be honest, I think they are simply hitting that rough part of the season, where injuries start to bring them a bit back to earth.  But I don't think it is a permanent thing.  They will get healthy again, and they have enough depth already to continue winning.  So I don't see them overly motivated to make a move.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:22:17 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
If a move is to be made, my guess is it will be minor leaguers (i.e. the guys they have been calling up) and or draft picks that go.  I'm not sure P.C. will risk breaking up the goal tending tandum as they have been playing so well and he's a great insurance pollicy.

However, I don't think a trade is neccessary quite yet.  They are going to suck it up the next few games until the all-star break but after that Lucic, Bergy, and Ference should all be back, probably Ward also.  Kessel will eventually be back as well.  The offence should return at that point.  They played so well up to this point that they can afford to take thier time and not do anything in a panic.       

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some good points. The all star weekend is coming soon and bergeron, kessel and lucic could be back by then. Still we have 3.5 dollars(from sturm long term injury) that we could utilize for this team to get better.

We should pick up another player to make sure we will succeed in the playoffs.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:09:55 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
B's Talk!  Gotta love it.

I am so lost with who is who in the NHL these days.

Interesting to read some ideas though.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Some good points. The all the weekend is coming soon and bergeron, kessel and lucic could be back by then. Still we have 3.5 dollars(from sturm long term injury) that we could utilize for this team to get better.

If we had everyone healthy even without sturm i would be pretty confident we would have three tough times anyone would have to face. But with a battered bergeron you just never know . We should pick up another player to make sure we will succeed in the playoffs.

Well, I think Kessel will be out a little longer...although Mono can be unpredictable.

But I think what is more likely than them going after another forward, would be going hard after a quality, puck moving defenseman.  This will both help solidify things back there (Thomas has been standing on his head the last few games, to keep them in it), but it will also improve their offense.