Author Topic: Grizzlies  (Read 2273 times)

Grizzlies
« on: January 18, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Boston Celtics

Incoming Players
 Quinton Ross
Salary: $797,581  Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 4.3  REB: 2.1  AST: 0.9  PER: 7.32

Minimum Salary Exception allowed trade to be successful

Darko Milicic
Salary: $7,020,000  Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 6.3  REB: 4.9  AST: 0.5  PER: 14.14

Outgoing Players: Leon Powe, Brian Scalabrine, Tony Allen Memphis Grizzlies

Incoming Cash
*Cash compensation received from Boston

Incoming Players
 Leon Powe
Salary: $797,581  Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 6.9  REB: 4.1  AST: 0.6  PER: 16.92

Brian Scalabrine
Salary: $3,206,897  Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 3.0  REB: 1.2  AST: 0.4  PER: 7.72

Tony Allen
Salary: $2,500,000  Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 7.9  REB: 2.1  AST: 1.2  PER: 12.06

Outgoing Players: Quinton Ross, Darko Milicic

So in this scenario, we send the much maligned Brian Scalabrine, oft injured Tony Allen and super undersized guy Leon Powe for Darko and Q Ross. The only one I will miss is Scal.

Q Ross picks up Tony Allens defensive role with no drop off and can actually guard an NBA SF without giving up 3-6 inches. Darko is a big underachiever that we attempt to revive under Clifford Ray. He is also a nice expiring contract next season.

Our rotation is shortened a bit and we now play Pruitt, Davis and House followed by Ross and Bill Walker. Ideally, Darko gets fired up by KG, Doc et al and wants to contribute on a winner.

I would offer Davis in place of Powe but I doubt they do it. Really not much of a talent drop off is it?

The biggest bonus perhaps is the extra roster spot we earn for Marbury or a big when one is bought out.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I like Ross. I'd like to have him in the club. But only as a complementary backup, paired with Tony Allen or some other guy. As the one and only wing backup? That's crazy, I think. Ross has no offense, he's a liability on that side of the floor. Teams would sag off him like crazy. We already have a guy that teams sag off - Rondo. It'd be a nightmare to make the offense work with those guys paired together.

Memphis wouldn't do this anyway. What for? To have a chance of re-signing Powe in a few months? Expensive price to pay for the Bird rights of a backup PF.*

*Here's a thing people should consider when proposing trades with Memphis: the chances that they take salaries that go beyond this Summer are extremely slim. It'd need to be a really good deal for them - much better players than the guys on our bench.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I like Ross. I'd like to have him in the club. But only as a complementary backup, paired with Tony Allen or some other guy. As the one and only wing backup? That's crazy, I think. Ross has no offense, he's a liability on that side of the floor. Teams would sag off him like crazy. We already have a guy that teams sag off - Rondo. It'd be a nightmare to make the offense work with those guys paired together.

Memphis wouldn't do this anyway. What for? To have a chance of re-signing Powe in a few months? Expensive price to pay for the Bird rights of a backup PF.*

*Here's a thing people should consider when proposing trades with Memphis: the chances that they take salaries that go beyond this Summer are extremely slim. It'd need to be a really good deal for them - much better players than the guys on our bench.

The OP included cash considerations.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The OP included cash considerations.

Oh, it wasn't clear, but I wasn't talking about this particular deal, my apologies for the misunderstood. In fact, this trade saves them money; it's just that there are lots of trades with Memphis proposed and I decided to wrote that note here.

Cash considerations won't solve the issue: they want to protect their cap space, not to waste it with bench players.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
So, you dont count Pruitt, Giddens or Walker as back up wings?

I understand he is not a shooter (Ross) but neither is TA and Ross is a lot cheaper.

They need a player like Powe to play PF and compliment Gasol. He is cheap and still if they resign him it doesnt break the bank next year. They can easily sign him for a mid level range deal if they want to keep him. They will not find anyone much cheaper on the FA market IMO.

I think they are in a comparable financial position after the trade and the smaller contracts of Scalabrine in particular are easier to move in the type of 'upgrade' trades they would want to make.

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku