Author Topic: Marbury to be Released Soon  (Read 14840 times)

Re: Marbury to be Released Soon
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
With him spending so much time watching LA games, one scary thought is him going to LA. With Farmar down and them looking for a backup point, this might be the "surprise" he was talking about. It may turn out to be a blow up situation for them like it could for us, but it also might make them that much tougher.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Perhaps he'll be good till June and then in July when he turns back into Frankenbury we can release him. ;D

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Marbury is spending a  lot time in LA these days.I wonder what he's up to?

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Its starting to smell. Marbury has been spending a lot of time in LA. They might persuade him to play there after all its LA with nice weather. Does the risk outweigh the rewards for us to him?

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
On the first day of the season Marbury was said to be "reaching a buyout by next week" then next week came and it was "Marbury should reach a buyout by next week"...Now its almost 4 months later and there has been no progress. I'll believe this Marbury situation when I actually see his name on the bottom line saying he's released.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Another scenario is Marbury for Jermaine O'Neal, which saves the Raptors 23 million next year.

I can't see what use D'Antoni would have for JO, but maybe Donnie Walsh will take him back for old times sake. 

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its starting to smell. Marbury has been spending a lot of time in LA. They might persuade him to play there after all its LA with nice weather. Does the risk outweigh the rewards for us to him?

I really can't decide whether I think it would be good or not to have him on the C's.  I firmly believe they have the leadership to handle his attitude, but I am still on the fence whether its even worth the chance...especially since I still think Cassell has enough in the tank for the playoffs.

If he goes to the Lakers however, I think it will be a disaster for them.  That team just doesn't seem to have the leadership needed to keep a guy like that in check. 

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I don't think Marbury is going to get bought out.  I think he's going to be traded.  Just look for underperforming players with big contracts that D'Antoni might be able to use.  Or they'll package Marbury with David Lee to get a really good player.

Why would anyone TRADE for Marbury at this point?! Sure you can make the argument for the expiring contract, but a team would have to have a couple really high paid bad players they want to get rid of to make the numbers work. Why would NY take them? Or, do the package thing with Lee, and why would a team take a headache they would just lose in a few months for Lee?! That makes no sense at all!

Dale mentioned on EEI yesterday that there was a report about a Marbury to SAC for Miller deal being talked about....

so it's possible....

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I really can't decide whether I think it would be good or not to have him on the C's.  I firmly believe they have the leadership to handle his attitude, but I am still on the fence whether its even worth the chance...especially since I still think Cassell has enough in the tank for the playoffs.

If he goes to the Lakers however, I think it will be a disaster for them.  That team just doesn't seem to have the leadership needed to keep a guy like that in check. 

for me the concern is not so much his attitude (although that is part of the reason i personally am against it) but is he the right player for the team in terms of what skills he brings.

I'm still focused on getting a 6'8"ish shooter who can spread the floor and allow us to play some small ball....

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think Marbury is going to get bought out.  I think he's going to be traded.  Just look for underperforming players with big contracts that D'Antoni might be able to use.  Or they'll package Marbury with David Lee to get a really good player.

Why would anyone TRADE for Marbury at this point?! Sure you can make the argument for the expiring contract, but a team would have to have a couple really high paid bad players they want to get rid of to make the numbers work. Why would NY take them? Or, do the package thing with Lee, and why would a team take a headache they would just lose in a few months for Lee?! That makes no sense at all!

Dale mentioned on EEI yesterday that there was a report about a Marbury to SAC for Miller deal being talked about....

so it's possible....
Of course it's possible.  He has an expiring contract.  If I'm Toronto I'm trying to unload JO for him, but I still don't get why Riley or anyone else would want JO.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

for me the concern is not so much his attitude (although that is part of the reason i personally am against it) but is he the right player for the team in terms of what skills he brings.

I'm still focused on getting a 6'8"ish shooter who can spread the floor and allow us to play some small ball....

Oh, I think this team absolutely needs someone with the skills he brings.  They need a PG, who can make his own shot, as well as create them for others.  I am not completely sold on Pruitt as a PG, and House is terrible at running the offense.  So unless Cassell is able to step in, I think he absolutely fills a need.

I also agree that they need a wing, and a big man, but if there is a player who can give you as much of an upgrade on the second unit, you need to take it.  

The biggest thing about Marbury is that if he is bought out, he would be the only free agent capable of being a true 6th man.  Everyone else out there would be lucky to be an 8th or 9th man.  And if Cassell does not come back (and playing like he did early last year, not late), then the C's simply don't have any 6th or 7th men, just a bunch of guys who are much better suited playing in a platoon, or just in special circumstances.

So to be blinded by the fact that he doesn't fill the teams biggest need, and ignoring the fact that he has the potential to be a huge upgrade, doesn't make much sense to me.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Oh, I think this team absolutely needs someone with the skills he brings.  They need a PG, who can make his own shot, as well as create them for others.  I am not completely sold on Pruitt as a PG, and House is terrible at running the offense.  So unless Cassell is able to step in, I think he absolutely fills a need.

I also agree that they need a wing, and a big man, but if there is a player who can give you as much of an upgrade on the second unit, you need to take it.  

The biggest thing about Marbury is that if he is bought out, he would be the only free agent capable of being a true 6th man.  Everyone else out there would be lucky to be an 8th or 9th man.  And if Cassell does not come back (and playing like he did early last year, not late), then the C's simply don't have any 6th or 7th men, just a bunch of guys who are much better suited playing in a platoon, or just in special circumstances.

So to be blinded by the fact that he doesn't fill the teams biggest need, and ignoring the fact that he has the potential to be a huge upgrade, doesn't make much sense to me.

my perspective on the "need" aspect of a more pure PG dates back to last season.

we had this same discussion about how we needed that last season and it turned out to not really be the case.

certainly, it could help, but i'm still not sold on it being a real "need".

a shooting wing is a clear need, whereas a penetrating point for me isn't....especially with Sam sitting on the bench. I'd go to Sam for those skills before Mar..

remember, we have to cut someone to sign Mar. it's not like we could just add him.

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

a shooting wing is a clear need, whereas a penetrating point for me isn't....especially with Sam sitting on the bench. I'd go to Sam for those skills before Mar..

This part I agree with.  I think if Sam is good to go, let Marbury go elsewhere.   I am just saying that if he isn't good to go, and be better than he was last years playoffs (not right now, but whenever they planned on setting him free), then you at least have to consider cutting Sam, and signing Marbury. 

I know they did OK with House last year...but I think an upgrade at backup PG will go a long way to help stop the stagnation of the second unit, especially on the road.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

This part I agree with.  I think if Sam is good to go, let Marbury go elsewhere.   I am just saying that if he isn't good to go, and be better than he was last years playoffs (not right now, but whenever they planned on setting him free), then you at least have to consider cutting Sam, and signing Marbury. 

I know they did OK with House last year...but I think an upgrade at backup PG will go a long way to help stop the stagnation of the second unit, especially on the road.

it's certainly possible that Mar would help. i definitely will concede that.

but my overall stance is something Wide Load mentioned a while back: until it happens, i'm against it, but if it happens, i'll hope for the best.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
if we sign marbury thats fine, but i'm SUPER against trading away youth for old bench players, those are guys that you sign in FA.

but if smith gets bought out he'd be perfect.

With the exception of Rondo and Perkins, none of our youth is likely to be extraordinary.  And even if I'm wrong about that, it really doesn't matter.  If an old bench player (or players for that matter) get the C's to banner #18 this year, then Ainge should trade away youth to his heart's content.  Bill Walker becoming Gerald Wallace in 3 years isn't going to do this team any good when Pierce, Garnett, and Allen are no longer at the height of their games.

As for Marbury, bring him on.  If he screw up, we cut him.  It's that simple.  At this point he's still more talented than House and Pruitt combined and maybe even more talented than Rondo.  His ability to handle the rock mitigates any pressure schemes teams like to use on House and the second unit and his ability to score lengthens the amount of time that Doc can keep starters on the bench (those Pierce/Allen + the bench lineups will be a lot more dynamic). 

Yes, he isn't a 7-footer, but he's better than nothing.