Author Topic: Marbury to be Released Soon  (Read 14788 times)

Marbury to be Released Soon
« on: January 17, 2009, 06:51:12 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I was watching NBA TV last night and Fratello was on there.  He spoke to some people who said that the Marbury negotiations should be done by next week.

We are still interested, right?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Marbury to be Released Soon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i don't think we need him, he'll take the minutes that Gabe has been earning over the last couple weeks, and i dont like that. plus he's not a 7 foot backup center.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:38:47 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
He was in LA game last night

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/dave_mcmenamin/01/17/nba_story.marbury20090116/

I hope he gets the buyout soon and becomes a celtic

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:42:43 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
We do want Marbury still and I see him in a C's uniform very quickly. Guys like Marbury are always an enigma but that goes both ways. What I mean is, while he has been a pain in the behind for the Knicks he may soon prove to be one for the teams we are playing. Right now, if Rondo goes down around playoff time we are not going that far in the playoffs without a good backup pg and Marbury has been known to be better then good. Imagine how much better our second unit will be with a "solid" point guard running them.

A pickup of Starbury and a decent big coupled with a few weeks of mainly home games and rest makes us the team to beat again. This will all happen very soon.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
i don't think we need him, he'll take the minutes that Gabe has been earning over the last couple weeks, and i dont like that. plus he's not a 7 foot backup center.

I like Gabe, but adding Marbury also allows the Celtics to use more players in trade situations. For example, Ainge might've been hesitant to part ways with Gabe or House in past trades because of our PG needs. If Marbury is here, he won't hesitate and he'll be able to create better packages to land someone like Joe Smith.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
if we sign marbury thats fine, but i'm SUPER against trading away youth for old bench players, those are guys that you sign in FA.

but if smith gets bought out he'd be perfect.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
if we sign marbury thats fine, but i'm SUPER against trading away youth for old bench players, those are guys that you sign in FA.

but if smith gets bought out he'd be perfect.
Why are you against trading youth? Other than Rondo/Perk I don't see any of our current young bench players as indispensable.

The Joe Johnson trade sucks now. But that move did solidify the team that went to the ECF. We're actually a title contender now, so such a move makes even more sense.

I'm not happy that Marbury might come here. He's an idiot and its only a matter of time until he causes some drama. We'll have to hope for the best...

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't think you need to worry about trading "youth." Outside of Powe, none of them have any significant value on the open market.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do you think they will see what Cassell can do on the floor before they make this move or keep both of them?   

It sounds like they are keeping Cassell for the playoffs.  Anyone on here have any doubt Doc would put both Cassell and Marbury on the floor together?

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't think Marbury is going to get bought out.  I think he's going to be traded.  Just look for underperforming players with big contracts that D'Antoni might be able to use.  Or they'll package Marbury with David Lee to get a really good player.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't think Marbury is going to get bought out.  I think he's going to be traded.  Just look for underperforming players with big contracts that D'Antoni might be able to use.  Or they'll package Marbury with David Lee to get a really good player.

Why would anyone TRADE for Marbury at this point?! Sure you can make the argument for the expiring contract, but a team would have to have a couple really high paid bad players they want to get rid of to make the numbers work. Why would NY take them? Or, do the package thing with Lee, and why would a team take a headache they would just lose in a few months for Lee?! That makes no sense at all!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

agree completely. the miller and k thomas trade with sac town makes 100% sense for both sides. i'm sure the kings are holding out for some sort of pick or young player, but'll cave. then they'll just cut him and he can sign with the Cs anyway.

you have to wonder whether the heat will eventually get serious about him as well.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This "will he get bought out?" stuff is getting old.  It's like the National Enquirer covering Michael Jackson.  I don't see why the Knicks would buy him out now if it hasn't happened already.  Whats the point?  They are going to pay him either way.  And Marbury has been far from cooperative in the process.  I wouldn't be doing Marbury any favors if I were the Knicks.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I was watching NBA TV last night and Fratello was on there.  He spoke to some people who said that the Marbury negotiations should be done by next week.

We are still interested, right?

No.  There have been plenty of players with baggage who could have been had by Danny.  He spent three years eliminating them from our roster.  He isn't going to take on this scum.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.
New York Knicks

Incoming Players
 Kenny Thomas
Salary: $8,562,500  Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 1.2  REB: 2.6  AST: 0.2  PER: 14.19

Brad Miller
Salary: $11,375,000  Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 12.5  REB: 8.5  AST: 3.6  PER: 16.46

Sacramento Kings

Incoming Players
 Stephon Marbury
Salary: $20,840,625  Years Remaining: 1

David Lee
Salary: $1,788,033  Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 15.3  REB: 11.4  AST: 2.1  PER: 19.04

Wow, this trade does work and it many ways does make sense but is actually really dumb for NY (although that doesn't mean they won't do it).  They would save face and not buy out Marbury but they get stuck with an extra $20M next year.  If they just cut Marbury this year, they could fill in a couple of players for the minimum and then maybe pick up a few 1 year FA next year and save most of the $20M+Luxury Tax (and they aren't a very good team either way).  I don't think they think that way though and they are just going to take the guys with the extra year and claim victory over Marbury, they probably buy out Thomas next year and maybe trade or buy out Miller too.

I guess we little people just don't understand high finance.

If Marbury does get bought out, I am starting to worry he ends up in LA.  They have a much more pressing need for a PG type.  So do the Celtics take him just so the Lakers can't or are we not worried that he could help the Lakers?