Author Topic: No Ring for Posey This Year  (Read 13871 times)

Re: No Ring for Posey This Year
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Posey was matched up on Kobe mainly during most of the 2nd quarter of Game 6, when Ray was in the locker-room with the eye injury (plus the final minutes of the 1st). That stretch was roughly 12 minutes. It' easy to look for the game and check how things went.

People can't just make up stuff. If one wants to argue Posey can't "stop" Kobe, that's okay (nobody can stop Kobe and Posey's main strenght as a defender isn't exactly 1on1 perimeter defence); but there's no need to rewrite history.

One game with unique circumstances due to injury... what about some of the games over in Los Angeles? If not mistaken, it's in the 2nd half usually when Kobe goes in offensive mode.

Sure, which games? You're the one who saw the occurrence, tell me which games you're talking about. Game 4? 5? 6? All of them? On the second halves?

Re: No Ring for Posey This Year
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't know what games, there has to be specific set of circumstances to really evaluate because Posey guarding Kobe during a span when he's really not looking to dominate is pretty much useless for our purposes.

But here are some highlights from a game against the Hornets, I didn't watch the game and don't know the circumstances, but there's one or two plays which illustrate what I was pointing out of Kobe blowing by Posey. The important part is looking at the foot work and the speed. Also interesting to notice that later in the highlights Posey is guarding someone else (until the last play)... don't know if it was because of a defensive switch or because they simply decided to take Posey off Kobe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUd3oTIY4VI

Not the best example, but something worth looking at for our purposes. If Posey guards him aggressively, he's too slow to keep up with him. He needs to give him some space, and Kobe is a pretty good jump shooter.

Edit:

Here are some highlights from Game 3... there are a couple of plays of interest. Not the best examples, but it gives an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZfZk5jg-I&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:28:38 PM by BudweiserCeltic »