Author Topic: No Ring for Posey This Year  (Read 13921 times)

Re: No Ring for Posey This Year
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 06:57:02 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Posey was never even close to a Lebron stopper. Lebron killed Posey in the play=offs last year, Pierce was our best defender against him. Posey wasn't fast enough to guard Lebron, and was blown by basically every time. I find it funny how people seem to forget that.

I didn't forget.  You are right about Posey not doing a good job on Lebron.  But that's only one guy (albeit and important one), Posey did great on most everyone else.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Posey was never even close to a Lebron stopper. Lebron killed Posey in the play=offs last year, Pierce was our best defender against him. Posey wasn't fast enough to guard Lebron, and was blown by basically every time. I find it funny how people seem to forget that.

I didn't forget.  You are right about Posey not doing a good job on Lebron.  But that's only one guy (albeit and important one), Posey did great on most everyone else.

Yet we have to sit through all the "if we had Posey" posts as they pertain LeBron when we play him.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:38 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Who is?

Pierce had him most of the time last year.

He's still an excellent one-on-one defender - something we don't have off the bench, despite the fallacious attempts to elevate Tony Allen into something remotely resembling that.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While I agree that Posey isn't goimg to win a ring this year in New Orleans, I think that has more to do with the Celtics, Lakers, Cavs, and Magic being better teams than the Hornets and less to do with the pathetic performance the Hornets showed me last night.

It sure is starting to appear like some of the better teams in the league are starting to hit the same wall the Celtics hit a couple of weeks ago. Of course, considering how many more games the C's have played than some other franchises, I guess that they are all hitting the wall at the same time, meaning after the same number of games.

Posey was a great addition to that Hornets club abd they will really make some team work hard in the playoffs, maybe even the Lakers. But in my opinion, with Peja and Chandler coming back to Earth some and the absence of Pargo, this team isn't of the same caliber as the Lakers, a healthy Spurs, the C's, Cavs, or Magic. Posey or no Posey.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While I agree that Posey isn't goimg to win a ring this year in New Orleans, I think that has more to do with the Celtics, Lakers, Cavs, and Magic being better teams than the Hornets and less to do with the pathetic performance the Hornets showed me last night.

It sure is starting to appear like some of the better teams in the league are starting to hit the same wall the Celtics hit a couple of weeks ago. Of course, considering how many more games the C's have played than some other franchises, I guess that they are all hitting the wall at the same time, meaning after the same number of games.

Posey was a great addition to that Hornets club abd they will really make some team work hard in the playoffs, maybe even the Lakers. But in my opinion, with Peja and Chandler coming back to Earth some and the absence of Pargo, this team isn't of the same caliber as the Lakers, a healthy Spurs, the C's, Cavs, or Magic. Posey or no Posey.

Yep.  Last year, every player on NO played as well as they could.  This year, Peja regressed.  Chandler regressed.  That's 2/5ths of the starting lineup. 

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The Hornets are a good club, but they've really got some of the same issues the Celtics have - backcourt depth behind Paul, stagnant play from the 5. They'll find Posey's ability to do a bunch of things pretty well useful, and they will indeed be a tough out in the playoffs.

But they're going to have a couple of guys who've been pointed out here get really hot - Peja and Chandler - along with Paul to make a title run. I don't believe you can rule it out, but it's unlikely - and it will have nothing to do with Posey if it doesn't happen.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 09:00:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Missing Pargo? I know he had some good games but he was such a relentless chucker. Nearly sixteen shots per 36 minutes. It drove me nuts to have him just shoot shoot shoot whenever he was in. Especially as he was a 39% shooter with an eFG% of .43. That is just awful. And we complain about Eddie!

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
You can't blame it on individual players.  The Hornets as a team have regressed: everyone from Chris Paul right on down.  Their bench isn't that bad; in fact the Celtics could use guys like Hilton Armstrong, Antonio Daniels and Julian Wright (who isn't even playing).

They all play like they don't give a [dang].  Even when they hustle it looks like false hustle.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I also think, like Rocka said, they miss Pargo and Bonzi more than people realize.  Both of those guys were great for them last season.  Posey makes up for some of Bonzi, but Bonzi was a much better all around player.
Yes I agree, the Hornets lacked offensive diversity in a bad way last year. Take away their only two players off the bench that can create their offense, and are double digit scoring threats and you're going to feel it.

The way Bonzi and Pargo scored was valuable to. In Pargo a second guy who could beat his man off the dribble from the perimeter. In Bonzi, an extra post up threat that could help give that second unit an inside-outside option.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Posey was never even close to a Lebron stopper. Lebron killed us in the play-offs when Posey was guarding him. Pierce was the guy who had the most success guarding him. Posey wasn't fast or strong enough to guard Lebron, and was blown by basically every time. It's funny how his name is brought up everytime we mention needing a guy to stop Lebron. Posey is an excellent team defender, but he struggles against the more explosive players.

i think so too.. i was furious at pose at times during the cle series. but i think he did a lot better job on kobe.

the way i see it, the hornets look a little lost.. seems to me they lack leadership. i dunno maybe its what guys said, theyre turning against their coach

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another thing I noticed last night is that this Hornets club starting losing their cool at the end of the game and let the refs get into their heads with the blatant pro-Messiah calls. Both Posey and Paul thrown out of the game. That's not good and that's on Byron Scott. He just doesn't seem in control down there.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Posey was never even close to a Lebron stopper. Lebron killed us in the play-offs when Posey was guarding him. Pierce was the guy who had the most success guarding him. Posey wasn't fast or strong enough to guard Lebron, and was blown by basically every time. It's funny how his name is brought up everytime we mention needing a guy to stop Lebron. Posey is an excellent team defender, but he struggles against the more explosive players.

i think so too.. i was furious at pose at times during the cle series. but i think he did a lot better job on kobe.

In my opinion he did a worse job on Kobe. He had trouble with James, but overall he could bother him here and there, helping with the double team and making him a jump shooter various times, but he was completely useless against Kobe in my opinion. He was great against the other Lakers in the roster though, but against Kobe? No way, he ate him up.

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
You can't blame it on individual players.  The Hornets as a team have regressed: everyone from Chris Paul right on down.

I agree with you-- except when it comes to Paul. His points and assists are off ever so slightly from last year, but his rebounds and free throws made are both up over 5 a game again (as they were his rookie year), his fg% is slightly better and he's stealing the ball at the same crazy rate again. Bottom line: he is an elite player having another great year. But his teammates were all at the top of their games last year, and that probably couldn't be sustained (especially if they don't like their coach...).

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Posey got his big money in the big easy. He already has two rings. Could it be that he lost 10% of his passion?

Lets move on and see what Walker can do for us.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Posey got his big money in the big easy. He already has two rings. Could it be that he lost 10% of his passion?

Lets move on and see what Walker can do for us.

TP I completely agree.  It's really pointless to play these what if games looking at this year and last year.

Im not saying Posey is lazy this year or has lost anything, but it is fair to point out that last year with the Celtics the man was playing for a contract.  He made it no secret that this contract he signed with the Hornets was the pay day that he wanted to head towards the end of his career with.

All these posts about the loss of Posey would be more valid if the Hornets were the best team in basketball right now, but theyre not, in our eyes we've been a disapointment, the Hornets have been even less impressive.  The funny thing is, if we had given Posey that contract and resigned him, and we still went through the rough stretch that we went through over the past month, how many people would be on here ripping that offseason move to shreds because we'd have less money and space available to fix the problem than the little bit we already have now.

Im not saying we wouldnt be better off with Posey on the team, because we would be better, but you also just cant assume that he would be playing with as much intensity and reckless abandone that he did last year now that hes got the contract and the financial security that hes wanted.....especially given his previous history with the Heat.

Last year was last year, this year is this year.
Greg