Author Topic: Trade for Lebron Stopper  (Read 11602 times)

Re: Trade for Lebron Stopper
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
There is no such thing as a "LeBron stopper."  Sometimes LeBron has a bad game, that's all.

IMHO Pierce and Tony Allen can do about as good a job on LeBron as anyone. The best you can do is to turn him into a jump shooter.

If there were such a thing as a "LeBron stopper" the team having that player would not be anxious to trade him, because defenders as good as that don't come along very often.

Very true on the fact there is no Lebron stopper, however mentioning TA in a discussion about guys who have a chance at slowing him down is absurd. TA is a gnat buzzing around Lebron as he goes to the rim. He is only a nuisance easily swatted away. He gives up 4 inches and 60 lbs to the guy. Isn't as fast, isn't as strong, can't jump as high, isn't as smart... Your obsession with TA is baffling. He's just not that good.

TA seemed to do a decent job of slowing LeBron down on opening night. It was limited minutes, but it was as good as most people do against James.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20:21 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
There is no such thing as a "LeBron stopper."  Sometimes LeBron has a bad game, that's all.

IMHO Pierce and Tony Allen can do about as good a job on LeBron as anyone. The best you can do is to turn him into a jump shooter.

If there were such a thing as a "LeBron stopper" the team having that player would not be anxious to trade him, because defenders as good as that don't come along very often.

Whats with you and Tony Allen? TA can do nothing against LeBron, Pierce and Posey do a good a job as anyone in the league at guarding him...TA not even in the conversation

It wasnt even Tyrus who was the best on him last night either, Luol Deng and Nocioni did a decent job

I like TA's defense. Sure he's light compared to LeBrawn, but who isn't? The trick is to stay in front of him and make hims shoot over you.

The problem is, he can shoot over whoever we put on him.  Thomas is quick and athletic enough to stay in front of him and long enough to bother the shot.  This is why we need another long guy to defend Lebron.  Not necessarily a stopper, but someone to slow him down and make it more difficult for him, which Thomas can do.  I really don't want to have Paul do defend Lebron for the whole time he's on the floor, it zaps his offense.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I still want to see Bill Walker on Lebron.  I don't think he is anywhere close to a "Lebron stopper" (not that one exists anyways), but he is strong, and athletic enough to at least be a pest to Lebron for 5-10 minutes per game, giving Pierce a little break, and maybe getting Lebron a little out of his confort zone.

I agree on this. Walker's attitude alone on Lebron would be something to see.

Exactly...although now that I think about it a little more, he would likely foul out in about 3 minutes, since he would try to play him physical...and rookies are not allowed to touch the King.  I believe it is somewhere in the CBA.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I agree that he'd be good to get but not realistic. In order to have a chance, Chicago would need to want to use a few of their pieces to upgrade at 1 position, and we'd have to be willing to deal Ray, basically. In that case, we'd need to take back some combination of Thomas with Hinrich, Hughes, Safalosha, Nocioni, Deng, etc. I don't think Chicago would be willing to deal a package for Ray that would make it worthwhile for the Celtics.

For example Ray, Baby, Scal  for Deng, Hughes, Thomas, Safalosha works cap wise, but would either team want that?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=9~3023~3464~2381~2456~3032&teams=4~4~4~2~2~2&te=&cash=

Wouldn't this trade make more sense?  Ray, Powe, Walker for Gordon, Nocioni, and Thomas?

Why Boston does it:  Gets younger at the 2 while downgrading, but not terribly.  Gets (young) frontcourt length we desperately need with some star potential too.  The Posey replacement that we've needed in Nocioni.

Why Chicago does it:  They are currently paying $17-$20 mil per season until 2013 for their combination of Deng and Nocioni at the 3, while still having thefalosha there too. They also have Hinrich locked up for 4 years at the 2, so will have to let Gordon walk this year anyways.  While losing the potential in Thomas, they get some potential returned in Walker.  Ray might be able to help bring Rose along like he did with Rondo.  

I'm undecided on whether I would do this or not.  In an offseason, probably.  But midseason, too many players traded to risk chemistry taking too long to get right.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I still want to see Bill Walker on Lebron.  I don't think he is anywhere close to a "Lebron stopper" (not that one exists anyways), but he is strong, and athletic enough to at least be a pest to Lebron for 5-10 minutes per game, giving Pierce a little break, and maybe getting Lebron a little out of his confort zone.

I agree on this. Walker's attitude alone on Lebron would be something to see.

Exactly...although now that I think about it a little more, he would likely foul out in about 3 minutes, since he would try to play him physical...and rookies are not allowed to touch the King.  I believe it is somewhere in the CBA.

I don't think anyone is allowed to touch the King.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree that he'd be good to get but not realistic. In order to have a chance, Chicago would need to want to use a few of their pieces to upgrade at 1 position, and we'd have to be willing to deal Ray, basically. In that case, we'd need to take back some combination of Thomas with Hinrich, Hughes, Safalosha, Nocioni, Deng, etc. I don't think Chicago would be willing to deal a package for Ray that would make it worthwhile for the Celtics.

For example Ray, Baby, Scal  for Deng, Hughes, Thomas, Safalosha works cap wise, but would either team want that?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=9~3023~3464~2381~2456~3032&teams=4~4~4~2~2~2&te=&cash=

Wouldn't this trade make more sense?  Ray, Powe, Walker for Gordon, Nocioni, and Thomas?

Why Boston does it:  Gets younger at the 2 while downgrading, but not terribly.  Gets (young) frontcourt length we desperately need with some star potential too.  The Posey replacement that we've needed in Nocioni.

Why Chicago does it:  They are currently paying $17-$20 mil per season until 2013 for their combination of Deng and Nocioni at the 3, while still having thefalosha there too. They also have Hinrich locked up for 4 years at the 2, so will have to let Gordon walk this year anyways.  While losing the potential in Thomas, they get some potential returned in Walker.  Ray might be able to help bring Rose along like he did with Rondo. 

I'm undecided on whether I would do this or not.  In an offseason, probably.  But midseason, too many players traded to risk chemistry taking too long to get right.

One major problem with this (probably not the biggest one, but one that would submarine it anwyways).  Is that Gordon is playing on a 1 year tender.  He also has aspirations of making well over the MLE next year.  That means that he has the right to veto any trade, and he almost certainly will.

If Gordon is traded, he will forfeit all Bird rights, which means he would not be able to resign with Boston next year for any more than the MLE, and could not be sign and traded either.  He would need to hope that one of the few teams with cap room would prefer to use it on him this summer, rather than wait a year for the jackpot next year.

Let's face it, Gordon is not being traded anywhere this season.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
LeBron can't be stopped.  The championship is his to lose, imo. 

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Whats with you and Tony Allen? TA can do nothing against LeBron, Pierce and Posey do a good a job as anyone in the league at guarding him...TA not even in the conversation

It wasnt even Tyrus who was the best on him last night either, Luol Deng and Nocioni did a decent job

I like TA's defense. Sure he's light compared to LeBrawn, but who isn't? The trick is to stay in front of him and make hims shoot over you.

The problem is, he can shoot over whoever we put on him.  Thomas is quick and athletic enough to stay in front of him and long enough to bother the shot.  This is why we need another long guy to defend Lebron.  Not necessarily a stopper, but someone to slow him down and make it more difficult for him, which Thomas can do.  I really don't want to have Paul do defend Lebron for the whole time he's on the floor, it zaps his offense.

The problem isn't that he shoots over whoever we put on him. The problem is that he gets to the hoop too much. Doc would be thrilled if Lebron took mainly outside shots against us, even if they were good looks.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Actually, its ours to defend IMO.  ;D
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure if Thomas is a Lebron stopper.  Here are the other performances Lebron had against the Bulls (I only included games where Thomas played 20+ minutes):

3/31/07:  39 points
3/2/08:   37 points
4/3/08:   33 points
4/11/08:  34 points
11/8/08:  41 points
1/2/09:   16 points
1/15/09:  28 points

Overall, Lebron is averaging 32.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 6.4 assists in games that Thomas plays in.  Link.  Lebron simply had a tough shooting night.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I'm not sure if Thomas is a Lebron stopper.  Here are the other performances Lebron had against the Bulls (I only included games where Thomas played 20+ minutes):

3/31/07:  39 points
3/2/08:   37 points
4/3/08:   33 points
4/11/08:  34 points
11/8/08:  41 points
1/2/09:   16 points
1/15/09:  28 points

Overall, Lebron is averaging 32.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 6.4 assists in games that Thomas plays in.  Link.  Lebron simply had a tough shooting night.

i think we'd need to know the specifics of those games to know what Ty was doing in those games....

watching the game last night, he was definitely doing a nice job on him.

whether there is any global significance to him as a stopper of LeBron is another story.

but i do think he has the tools to be the kind of player that could bother him. not stop, mind you, but bother...

and another thing to add in is that Chicago's help D was better last night...and Ty was part of that too with a nice block on a LeBron drive that he clearly thought was a layup after dismantling the rest of the Bulls D...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:57:23 PM by winsomme »

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139

Actually, its ours to defend IMO.  ;D

That is the attitude I want to hear ;D (I gave you a Tommy).
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
 ;D
God bless and good night!

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
no one player can stop lebron.  the only way to contain him is to have a solid team defense approach, which we did during the playoff.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I agree, team defense is the way to do it...How can we trade for a Lebron stopper when not one team in the league has a Lebron stopper.