Author Topic: Trade for Lebron Stopper  (Read 11601 times)

Trade for Lebron Stopper
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I know it was only one game, but I watched the Cleveland/Bulls game last night and Tyrus Thomas did an excellent job on Lebron James.  He's long and quick enough to stay in front of him.  He looks like he could be a great defender if he keeps his head on straight.  He's been inconsistent, which I think is why Chicago has been down on him. He appears to be working on a jump shot as well. 

Is there anything we could give up that Chicago might want in exchange?  I know they need low post scoring, so a package including Powe might entice them or even BBD if they prefer (but they wouldn't).

I have no idea why Chicago would do it other than they could use some low post scoring off the bench and maybe to get rid of Thomas, who has been a headache for them at times.

Thoughts?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Trade for Lebron Stopper
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I had the same thoughts watching that game. The Deng/Thomas team did a very nice job on James. As much of a headache Thomas has been for Chicago, I just don't think we have enough to offer. Other teams could probably offer something better, and I imagine Chicago might want to do some sort of package deal with Thomas to get rid of a few other players. I would love to get Tyrus though, just for the purpose you mentioned.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
yeah, no matter how much they dislike the kid, we don't have what it takes to trade for the 4th pick in the draft only a few years ago.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I agree that he'd be good to get but not realistic. In order to have a chance, Chicago would need to want to use a few of their pieces to upgrade at 1 position, and we'd have to be willing to deal Ray, basically. In that case, we'd need to take back some combination of Thomas with Hinrich, Hughes, Safalosha, Nocioni, Deng, etc. I don't think Chicago would be willing to deal a package for Ray that would make it worthwhile for the Celtics.

For example Ray, Baby, Scal  for Deng, Hughes, Thomas, Safalosha works cap wise, but would either team want that?

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
So the stock raises that much when you block LeBron? why doesnt that warehouse worker who beat him in HORSE have a job in the NBA? Tyrus Thomas is no LeBron stopper, just admit that LeBron was off last night, not very focused and maybe a little fatigued and Ty Thomas had the game of his life...no thanks
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
There is no such thing as a "LeBron stopper."  Sometimes LeBron has a bad game, that's all.

IMHO Pierce and Tony Allen can do about as good a job on LeBron as anyone. The best you can do is to turn him into a jump shooter.

If there were such a thing as a "LeBron stopper" the team having that player would not be anxious to trade him, because defenders as good as that don't come along very often.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
There is no such thing as a "LeBron stopper."  Sometimes LeBron has a bad game, that's all.

IMHO Pierce and Tony Allen can do about as good a job on LeBron as anyone. The best you can do is to turn him into a jump shooter.

If there were such a thing as a "LeBron stopper" the team having that player would not be anxious to trade him, because defenders as good as that don't come along very often.

Whats with you and Tony Allen? TA can do nothing against LeBron, Pierce and Posey do a good a job as anyone in the league at guarding him...TA not even in the conversation

It wasnt even Tyrus who was the best on him last night either, Luol Deng and Nocioni did a decent job
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Ty is  definitely the type of player that bothers LeBron....long, athletic and strong enough to take some hits...

those are the same types of guys, coincidentally, that bother Paul....Deng is another one.

as for the Cs, Paul actually does a pretty solid job on LeBron. the problem is that is drains him and his offense is affected.

I agree that we need to figure out some way to give Paul a rest so he isn't guarding LeBron the whole game if and when we play them.

not exactly sure what that will be at the moment.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Very true on the fact there is no Lebron stopper, however mentioning TA in a discussion about guys who have a chance at slowing him down is absurd. TA is a gnat buzzing around Lebron as he goes to the rim. He is only a nuisance easily swatted away. He gives up 4 inches and 60 lbs to the guy. Isn't as fast, isn't as strong, can't jump as high, isn't as smart... Your obsession with TA is baffling. He's just not that good.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I still want to see Bill Walker on Lebron.  I don't think he is anywhere close to a "Lebron stopper" (not that one exists anyways), but he is strong, and athletic enough to at least be a pest to Lebron for 5-10 minutes per game, giving Pierce a little break, and maybe getting Lebron a little out of his confort zone.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
So the stock raises that much when you block LeBron? why doesnt that warehouse worker who beat him in HORSE have a job in the NBA? Tyrus Thomas is no LeBron stopper, just admit that LeBron was off last night, not very focused and maybe a little fatigued and Ty Thomas had the game of his life...no thanks

Ageed. Just because I called him a Lebron Stopper (btw only used to make the thread sound appealing ;D), doesn't mean that Chicago thinks of him that way or that his stock has risen.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I think the two things we tend to underestimate with Lebron that makes him impossible to defend are his hops, and most importantly his strength. PP is a very strong guy in the upper body which allows him to do much of what he does with so-so quickness and so-so hops. Lebron is on another planet though similar if not more than Ron Artest. This is why you can hang on his arm and he still gets to the rim and finishes. Couple that with his leaping ability and the guy truly is without peer. I still think the best way to defend the guy is to give him a little more space and bait him into a jumper. Once he gets more consistent with that, it's all over. He will be Jordan on steroids.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I still want to see Bill Walker on Lebron.  I don't think he is anywhere close to a "Lebron stopper" (not that one exists anyways), but he is strong, and athletic enough to at least be a pest to Lebron for 5-10 minutes per game, giving Pierce a little break, and maybe getting Lebron a little out of his confort zone.
I'd like to see this matchup too because Walker would probably challenge Lebron to a fight after a few minutes!  But I think Lebron would go over and around Walker with ease.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Whats with you and Tony Allen? TA can do nothing against LeBron, Pierce and Posey do a good a job as anyone in the league at guarding him...TA not even in the conversation

It wasnt even Tyrus who was the best on him last night either, Luol Deng and Nocioni did a decent job

I like TA's defense. Sure he's light compared to LeBrawn, but who isn't? The trick is to stay in front of him and make hims shoot over you.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

I agree on this. Walker's attitude alone on Lebron would be something to see.