Author Topic: Celtics should trade for Luol Deng  (Read 7278 times)

Re: Celtics should trade for Luol Deng
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
No.  We need Perkins.  He's the best offensive rebounder on the squad and is one of the better defensive big men in the league. 
do it

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:14 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Having Deng in our team is easier said than done. A major chip in Bulls'organization so I think he's not going anywhere, yet.

Try Charlie Villanueva for Scal and Powe. It works in the trade checker. He's tall (6'11"), quick-for-his-size, young and talented.

We get what we basically need at the moment - length, youth (well, almost), talent and athleticism rolled into one.

Consider this line up:  KG, Perk, Villanueva, PP and Rondo. PP slides to Villanueva's post when Ray comes in. Or, KG and Villanueva at 5 and 4 at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:40:33 PM by greenhead85 »

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
^So who would be our long term starting center after this season, BBD? :o

I'd love to have Deng, but certainly not at the expense of Perk!
Don't overrate Perk. We can win without him, and his bum shoulder. During the Finals, did you know that PJ Brown played more minutes than him? He does some good things out there, but let's be real, he's not the reason we win. He's not even a top 5 reason IMO. The coaches' like to play up his importance to make it seem he's really a glue guy, but just look at how much "worse" the Celtics are when he's out of the lineup. LOL!

you say don't overrate perk, but you've massivly overrated scal's abilitys as a center to try to downplay him, and you've pointed to 3 teams that our bench would have had a shot to beat to justify it.

What did our recored look like in the playoffs, ya know, vs good teams with legit centers, with perk out?

I think your out of your mind with this anyalsis on perk, but even throwing that out, lets just look at the "scal can play center!" side of the argument. We beat a team with no true center and a young kid last night. if we had played a team with a legit center, we would have been abused.

Perk plays great physical defense on big centers. Lets take a quick look at centers we will be seeing in meanigful series in the playoffs vs scal.

Dhoward= wow, scal gets ruined. this would be a nightmare.

Z= no shot for scal, Z can shoot over him easily and can own him on the boards.

horford= scal might be able to bother his shot, he's not dominate or overly long. don't like brian's chances rebounding. Easily the only center in this group scal can even bother however.

Bynaum- will eat scal alive. can shoot over him, much bigger, dominates scal in th post game. will out board scal to a ridiculous degree. perk on the other hand has been able to bother him alot.

Yao= as tough as he is for perk, way tougher matchup on scal, who has to give up 7 inches. yao would dominate scal.

TD= see above, onyl worse.

Thier is a reason scal is a SF/PF and not a C. We can get away with him vs small lineups (Raps) and ok at best centers (nets) but against dominate centers? no thanks.

Haha, good post crownsy. TP. I saw you building to the Scal vs. dominant centers argument, and when I read what you said about Scal vs. DHoward I cracked up. He WOULD get absolutely ruined.

You can't underestimate Perk's importance because we won 3 games without him. 2 of those wins were against a team that's full of softies and perimeter players, and another against a poor team that was starting a rookie at PF and C, leaving no difficult match up for Scal. Ryan Anderson is, oh, I don't know, what's a fair number? A BILLION times worse than Dwight Howard? Also, with Perk out KG has to guard the C's on other teams. He only had to deal with Brook Lopez last night, but if KG had to guard the C spot every night he'd take quite a beating from guys up to 80 lbs heavier than him. That wouldn't be good for our team at all.

Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No offense, but the Bulls wouldn't even let you finish your sentence before hanging up. 

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We also won when KG sat last year. Doesn't mean we didn't need KG.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
1st: Perk fits perfectly in our defense, and nicely in our offense to as the guy who goes unnoticed and slams it down when the other team plays off him.

2nd: We have nothing to offer the Bulls. I, personally, think we should trade for Dwight Howard. The problem is more recognizable with my idea, but it goes for yours as well.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
lol and with this trade we mark the first time the defending NBA champions go into rebuilding mode the following year.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
theres a lot of people the celtics should trade for... jason kidd, chris paul, dwight howard, lebron james...just cause they should doesnt mean they can or will.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I like the Sheed idea though but if we do that we have to pick up Artest too. Imagine a front court of KG,Artest and Sheed?  ;D

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bad trade for the Celtics.  Neither Morning nor Smith can step in and be the physical force Perkins can be for 30+ minutes a game. 

plus, the Celtics would still be without a backup big.

They would be better off signing one of them to back up Perk instead of making the trade.

And the trade doesn't help the Bulls. 

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I like the Sheed idea though but if we do that we have to pick up Artest too. Imagine a front court of KG,Artest and Sheed?  ;D

TP, this one made me laugh.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »

Offline Danimals

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
1) "I love Deng's game. Not only would the Celtics win the title this year with Deng as the sixth man, but they would find their long term Allen/Pierce replacement."

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker is already being penciled in as Pierce's heir. Deng is very good, but Walker has a higher ceiling than Deng. Deng is a much better defender, but Walker is a very hungry, hard working quick learner. He's the kind of kid that would soon be doing defensive drills and suicide sprints all day. No way Danny deals for Deng without seeing what Walker looks like after this summer working out on healthy knees.

2) Perkins isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yes they should trade for Deng.

They should trade for Lebron James as well.

Or maybe Baron Davis?

Hell, how bout Shaq?  Time for him to join a new team right?

We'd all like to trade for alot of guys.  Fact is, Danny doesn't want to break up the core, and we don't have enough pieces off our bench to trade for a legitamate 6th man who's an all-around player.

Face it people.  A trade isn't happening this season.  The only way we're getting new pieces to our team is through the waiver wire after the trading deadline.