Author Topic: Hypothetical evil trade idea.  (Read 6791 times)

Hypothetical evil trade idea.
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay first off this trade needs for Memphis to release Darius Miles after his ten day contract and for the Celtics to sign him to deal where they sign him for the rest of this year with a team option for next.

Then Danny needs to call Kevin Pritchard in Portland and propose this trade:

Boston receives:

Channing Frye - C/PF 6'11" 245 lbs
Travis Outlaw - SF 6'9" 207 lbs

Portland receives:

Tony Allen - SG 6'4" 213 lbs
Brian Scalabrine - PF 6'9" 235 lbs
Patrick O'Bryant - C 7'0" 250 lbs
JR Giddens - SG 6'5" 215 lbs

Now what will be implicitly understood but no where to be found on paper or video or audio will be a side agreement that the Celtics will keep Darius Miles under contrat for the nex  one and a half seasons but not play him at all. Not one more game.

So Boston gets it's SF replacement for Posey that is big enough to guard PFs in small ball, they receive a C/PF with length and some good ability that at the very least will see the floor, unlike POB and they clear a roster spot for signing Marbury. Marbury, Outlaw, Frye, Powe, Baby, House and Pruitt is now this team's seven deep bench.

Portland gets 2 SGs to help spell Roy and also to allow him to play point while stills having a defensive presence at the 2. They get a veteran to help the lockerroom and to give them some PF depth and they get POB. They get no contracts that have to go beyond the 2010 free agent season. And most importantly they save $18 million.

We get rid of garbage and get productive players in return and also a possible budding star offensively in Outlaw. Portland gets some help for the next year or so and keep cap flexibility for 2010 while saving tons and tons of cash while givng up no one that they weren't going to give up anyway.

Re: Hypothetical evil trade idea.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If we're going to have Outlaw, I'd trade Walker and keep Giddens for Tony's old role.  Walker would never see playing time with Pierce, Outlaw and Miles on the team.  Personally, I like Giddens potential better anyway.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
This is the kind of thing Red would have tried to do. I don't think Portland would give up Outlaw to save a couple of million though. TP anyway Nick, nice idea.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If Portland is looking to deal outlaw they can get something better than four scrubs. And I highly doubt any team would agree to do what you presented with Miles.

With that being said, I'm not even impressed with Outlaw's game. I think Webster is their better wing player by far.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If Outlaw was a budding star, he'd already be one.  He's had plenty of opportunity on a good team and a bad one. 

Having said that, I'd do this in a heartbeat.  Scal would be back in 30 days to play his vaunted role with us and we'd have two athletic pieces that Thibodeau could fit nicely in his defense.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
if Miles plays two games with Memphis, i think the rest of his contract is guaranteed at that point.

that's my understanding, anyway.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
What does this deal do for the Portland Trailblazers?

I love it from our perspective but I know Portland would never go for that.

Raef LaFrentz is a big man vet I'd like to pick up if is bought out released by Portland.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If Portland is looking to deal outlaw they can get something better than four scrubs. And I highly doubt any team would agree to do what you presented with Miles.

With that being said, I'm not even impressed with Outlaw's game. I think Webster is their better wing player by far.
Of course no one would do it!!!! And Webster probably is their beter wing but Portland just signed him to an extension, so he's going nowhere.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
if Miles plays two games with Memphis, i think the rest of his contract is guaranteed at that point.

that's my understanding, anyway.
Yeah, I kinda forgot to put that in my scenario, thanks for the pick up.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Raef LaFrentz is a big man vet I'd like to pick up if is bought out released by Portland.
It saves them $18 million!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

It saves them $18 million!!!

i was going to say, it allows them to be scumbags and keep thier money, something they are going to great lengths to do.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
It also gets the Boston Celtics in trouble with the Player's Union, and probably sued by Miles if they refuse to play or release him.  It would be pretty easy to put the pieces together to show that Boston colluded to keep Miles from being able to continue his career.  Whether he still got paid during the next year is moot, if he rots on the bench in Boston for eighteen months he's going to have a much harder time getting a gig in the NBA or Europe afterwards. 

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
It also gets the Boston Celtics in trouble with the Player's Union, and probably sued by Miles if they refuse to play or release him.  It would be pretty easy to put the pieces together to show that Boston colluded to keep Miles from being able to continue his career.  Whether he still got paid during the next year is moot, if he rots on the bench in Boston for eighteen months he's going to have a much harder time getting a gig in the NBA or Europe afterwards. 
Of course it does but how could it be proved if there's no evidence and the Celtics top 12 players are Perk, KG, Ray, Pierce, Rondo, Marbury, Powe, Baby, Outlaw, Frye, Pruitt, and House. Boston simply never activates Miles because the players in front of him are easily better than him. So where's the proof they colluded?

I know it would never happen. I know it's against the law. Just thought it to be a fun idea. Also, as someone said, 30 years ago, Red would have done just this thing in a heartbeat. Side verbal deals to draft or not draft or to not play or blackball a player was fairly common in the 60's and 70's.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
If the Celtics did this, I would stop being a fan. This is as you said, evil. Can't just throw away a player's future, not to mention we would almost certainly end up in legal trouble.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Just forget the Miles part and see if we can find a way to get outlaw from them.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson