Author Topic: Chris Sheridan's idea: Earl Watson  (Read 5830 times)

Chris Sheridan's idea: Earl Watson
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I know he's been discussed here many times before, but in today's daily dime Sheridan points out that the Cs could use Earl Watson, but more importantly that Sam Priesti is willing to dump him for financial relief.

Not much use in arguing about the player. He's a solid passer and an excellent defender, if a poor long range shooter. He's comfortable as a back-up, and is not exceessively paid in a league dominated by 1s and 5s.

Here's the trade the Cs make:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=138~3429~1021~1027&teams=25~25~25~2&te=&cash=

The Thunder immediately receive 3mil in salary relief, and likely more when the Cs send them a little extra cash to pay Scal next year. They get a fair prospect (compared to the 2nd rounder they appeared prepared to take from Charlotte in the proposed Watson deal a couple of days ago) at a position where they have no prospects.

For the Cs, they get a versitile 1 who can probably manage to play with House -- meaning, if they're on the floow together against, say, the Cavs, Watson guards Mo W and Eddie guards Delonte. And they clear out a little room on the roster to sign Joe Smith or Courtney Sims or Coby Karl or Jerry Stackhouse or Bonzi Wells or Marty Conlon or whoever.

It definately improves the bench. Sorry, i know this idea has been out there before and there are too many trade ideas, but Sheridan's point about how little OKC is prepared to take speaks the to issue we have at the moment: we don't have many assets to offer in order to get a proven player at a position of need in return.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Chris Sheridan's idea: Earl Watson
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know if Cassell would consent to be traded.  Maybe, if the Thunder agreed to immediately waive him.

I'm sure their first choice is an expiring, but if the team included $3 million to pay Scal's salary, OKC could go for it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't like the trade at all. We already have too many short players in the backcourt, so I'm not looking forward to seeing Watson and Eddie together. I'd rather keep Cassell if the team has plans on using him down the stretch.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Not a fan of Earl Watson.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't know if Cassell would consent to be traded.  Maybe, if the Thunder agreed to immediately waive him.

I'm sure their first choice is an expiring, but if the team included $3 million to pay Scal's salary, OKC could go for it.

This is certainly part of the trade. The Alien is told he's going to be waived, and brought back to the Cs as a coach until such time (after 30 days) he needs to be signed if he needs to be signed.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:25 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The only player I want to trade with OKC for is Joe Smith.  Otherwise, forget it.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't like the trade at all. We already have too many short players in the backcourt, so I'm not looking forward to seeing Watson and Eddie together. I'd rather keep Cassell if the team has plans on using him down the stretch.

You can have Cassell back. Meanwhile Watson 1) can dribble and pass (unlike House), 2) has a solid assist-to-turnover ratio (unlike TA), and would immediately become the best defender at the guard other than Rondo.

You get this for nothing. Sounds like we're having a hard time getting a quality player from any other team for nothing.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Cassell is a better player than Watson.  Even at this stage of his career.  He's a better shooter for sure.  

How does a player who can't break the starting lineup of the worst team in the NBA improve the world champions?  I've never gotten the fascination with Watson.  There are a whole group of Watsons in the NBDL.  Undersized PGs who can't shoot and are average defenders.  If we needed somebody to bring the ball up past halfcourt and get the one-pass assists, (and assuming we don't have that already) there are a whole lot cheaper, (and probably hungrier) options down there than Watson.

I'm obviously no fan of Rivers.  But I like what he's doing with Pruitt.  If Rivers can continue to continue to find niches for confidence building for Pruitt in every game, Pruitt will be a much better player than Watson by year's end....With shooting ability to boot.

If Scal is traded, he'll be resigned by us quicker than Cassell would.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The only player I want to trade with OKC for is Joe Smith.  Otherwise, forget it.

I wouldn't mind Kevin Durant or Jeff Green. ::)

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Don't think Scal and Giddens is gonna cut it for Mr. Smith.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

I wouldn't mind Kevin Durant or Jeff Green. ::)

I wouldn't mind them either, but I'm trying to be realistic here. ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

What if we added TA?  Didn't they have interest in TA in the offseason? Or what if we added Powe?

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

What if we added TA?  Didn't they have interest in TA in the offseason? Or what if we added Powe?

I wouldn't Leon for Joe Smith. I like Joe Smith, but to me the only guy on our 2nd unit you don't trade (within reason) is Leon.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Earl Watson is terrible.  He can't carry Gabe Pruitt's jock.  No thanks.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

I wouldn't Leon for Joe Smith. I like Joe Smith, but to me the only guy on our 2nd unit you don't trade (within reason) is Leon.

Totally disagree.  I would give up Powe in a NY minute if they would give us Joe Smith.  Powe is not going to hold up any chance we have of repeating.