Author Topic: Ray Felton and Earl Watson are on the market  (Read 8163 times)

Ray Felton and Earl Watson are on the market
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This isn't exactly a secret. Their availability has been well documented of late. Lots of newspaper sources are reporting that Watson and Felton are being actively shopped by their team's GM's.

I think we should make a play at Felton, and if not Felton, Watson.

Felton is a very good guard. He is a clutch shooter, a decent scorer, Rondo like quick, and can flat out play. Eddie House and Tony Allen don't even compare to the quality of talent Felton exhibits. He would be terrific as a source of instant offense on the second unit. I'm sure he wouldn't mind that role seeing as he's been a Bobcat his entire career and is looking to win again consistently like he was in college.

If we could trade TA + House + Scal + (either Giddens or Walker) for Felton + Mohammed, who's in Larry's doghouse, I think this is a deal Charlotte would do. We all know Larry Brown LOVES role players, and often chooses those blue collar guys over players like Felton, as illogical as it sounds, but we know it to be true based on the transactions that happen under his watch.

Now, I'm not sure how reliable the Felton to DAL rumor is, but it strikes me as in passing and a discussion that was made but is not really likely to happen.

If not Felton, there's another decent PG on the market. His name is Earl Watson. He can't shoot the ball consistently, and that's a huge knock on him. But he's otherwise a very good ball handler and has vision. Plus his defense is much better than House's. If we can rely on say, Powe, Scal, and either Allen / Pierce (who usually stay on the 2nd unit) to provide adequate scoring when Watson's shot isn't going in, if Watson can play under control, a quality we've yet to see from any of our PGs of late, it's a good trade for us.

Re: Ray Felton and Earl Watson are on the market
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Felton is Antoine Walker of PG`s...

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I would like to pick felton up to back up rondo, but i dont know why charlotte would do this. They would be giving up a starting point guard for a few mediocre subs and a young unproven player. It just doesnt really make sense for them.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
I would like to pick felton up to back up rondo, but i dont know why charlotte would do this. They would be giving up a starting point guard for a few mediocre subs and a young unproven player. It just doesnt really make sense for them.
Because Charlotte traded J-Rich for Diaw and Bell. A borderline star for two career role players.

Larry Brown himself has stated that he likes DJ Augustin so much that Felton is now expendable. And TA and House are Larry type of players.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Diaw is a playmaker comfortable starting or off the bench at three positions. Teams pay up for versatility. Bell is a Larry Brown type of player.

TA, Scal and House only have value as cap relief at this point.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:45 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
Diaw is a playmaker comfortable starting or off the bench at three positions. Teams pay up for versatility. Bell is a Larry Brown type of player.

TA, Scal and House only have value as cap relief at this point.
I'm sorry, when Diaw was traded from PHX, he was useless and had a bad contract. Of course, Brown is making the most of him, on a bad team.

Don't underestimate someone like Tony Allen. Even being the mental midget he is, with some run he would probably put up better stats than he is here.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:49:10 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Unfortunately, they're both involved in the same deal, according to the Daily Oklahoman - OKC, Charlotte and Dallas, a three-way.

And smart teams do indeed pay up for versatility - like New Orleans for example ... Not Boston.

???
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The rumored Felton deal has to be bogus.  Why would Dallas want him?  And even if the Mavs wanted him, they wouldn't give up Diop to get him.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Unfortunately, they're both involved in the same deal, according to the Daily Oklahoman - OKC, Charlotte and Dallas, a three-way.

And smart teams do indeed pay up for versatility - like New Orleans for example ... Not Boston.

???
Boston won the championship last year....not New Orleans.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would take Felton with open arms.  He is NOT afraid to shoot, kind of Cassellish, but he can handle the ball and shoot, unlike house.  He's a perfect alternative to Starbury.  I'm not sure we have what it takes to pry him.  Is Primo still on their team?   ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't think we have the package to get Felton. I'm not a fan of Watson.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
We didn't have enough for JJ Redick, we suddenly have enough for Ray Felton?

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
We didn't have enough for JJ Redick, we suddenly have enough for Ray Felton?

yeah, i chuckled at that too...

i think people need to get it in their mind that NO ONE is going to help the celtics out.  if KG didn't play for danny's buddy mchale, he probably wouldn't be a celtic.

there's just nothing on this roster worth anything...BBD sucks, powe isn't improving, if anything he looks to be regressing, tony allen is a dunce, and walker & giddens are a pair of unknowns who won't garner much in return.

let's face it: the only way to improve this team is through signing free agents that are cut loose, and that means that a player or two is gonna have to go (ie. waived).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well if Diop is on the market (and healthy), let's go after him.  Petrkins for Diop straight up.  I'd do that deal.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well if Diop is on the market (and healthy), let's go after him.  Petrkins for Diop straight up.  I'd do that deal.

I wouldn't even consider it.  Perkins is better defensively, and better offensively, has a MUCH better contract, and already knows the C's system.