Author Topic: Tim Thomas idea  (Read 3552 times)

Tim Thomas idea
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
NYK get:

future 1st Round pick
Giddens
Scals
Cassell (who is released)

BOS gets:

Tim Thomas

NYK do it to get Giddens (who could fit with D'Antoni's system) and future #1. BOS does it to get that shooting wing that we need.

Re: Tim Thomas idea
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No way should the Celtics give up a 1st.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

unless they can get Giddens and Walker out on the floor to show they can play, they are going to have to give up something to get a player in here via trade.

i would have no trouble giving up a pick to get this team where it needs to be...

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

unless they can get Giddens and Walker out on the floor to show they can play, they are going to have to give up something to get a player in here via trade.

i would have no trouble giving up a pick to get this team where it needs to be...

I would be fine with the Celtics giving up a 1st for the right players, but not a player like Thomas.  He may give the Celtics a little more shooting off the bench at PF, but he plays lazy defense. 

Giddens, Scali and Cassell for him is fine.  Throw in a 2nd.  But not a 1st. 

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I would be fine with the Celtics giving up a 1st for the right players, but not a player like Thomas.  He may give the Celtics a little more shooting off the bench at PF, but he plays lazy defense. 

Giddens, Scali and Cassell for him is fine.  Throw in a 2nd.  But not a 1st. 

when he had that late season push with the Suns that year, i saw a side of TT that i hadn't seen before....

i agree that he has been a suspect effort guy, but i think he could really fit here....I don't actually think his skill set on D is bad...i think it has been an effort thing with him. not ideal, but i'd rather bring in a guy that actually has the ability and rely on KG getting the effort there.

as for the Knicks, I don't see why they would do this deal unless they could stock pile some picks... unfortunately.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:09 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
i know he's not known for great defense...but Larry Brown, who lives on defense, made a comment somewhere last week that he was pushing to get Tim Thomas in Charlotte b/c of his work ethic, etc. The guy is clutch, possibly overpaid, but so is Posey now. A player with his experience and length could easily learn TEAM defense. The trade would have to include a 1st rounder for D'Antoni to agree with the trade. Plus 1st rounders mean nothing for us b/c our records would always give us the 30th round pick, which has just as a chance for success as a 2nd rounder steal like Ginobli. Trade for Tim Thomas and sign Marbury, and maybe even another piece or 2 and we'll be back in championship form.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i know he's not known for great defense...but Larry Brown, who lives on defense, made a comment somewhere last week that he was pushing to get Tim Thomas in Charlotte b/c of his work ethic, etc. The guy is clutch, possibly overpaid, but so is Posey now. A player with his experience and length could easily learn TEAM defense. The trade would have to include a 1st rounder for D'Antoni to agree with the trade. Plus 1st rounders mean nothing for us b/c our records would always give us the 30th round pick, which has just as a chance for success as a 2nd rounder steal like Ginobli. Trade for Tim Thomas and sign Marbury, and maybe even another piece or 2 and we'll be back in championship form.

Larry the Coach is really good.

Larry the GM, not so good.  This is the guy that drafted Hughes over Pierce and canceled a trade for Mcgrady because he didn't want to give up Lynch. 

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Tim Thomas is a joke. Yes, he can shoot 3's, but he is not what this team needs. He is the most lazy player in the NBA. He only looked good on that Suns team back 3 years ago (which netted him a contract he didn't deserve) because they just told him to shoot 3's and run the floor.

For a Celtics team that needs attackers and scorers, he would only hurt us with his passivity.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yup.  I like Thomas, and think he could potentially help the team, but not enough to give up a 1st.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
T.Thomas fits better with teams like the Knicks, the old Suns,and a team like GS...little defense expected.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:29:49 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
T.Thomas fits better with teams like the Knicks, the old Suns,and a team like GS...little defense expected.

Well said, HC.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.