Author Topic: Stephen Jackson  (Read 6145 times)

Re: Stephen Jackson
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
yeah...there is no debating on whether or not SA dropped the ball on Jackson. He was still raw in those days, but still had the 3 point range and more game to come, but they chose the cheap route and let him walk. Imagine if they did the same with Ginobli...

As for the trade...it's a dream trade to me. I've always loved Jackson's game, and he was the 1st player to come to mind to replace Posey, but it's not possible. Some WC GM said Ainge has no value in his trade pieces, so we're pretty much screwed when it comes to trade. The best we could do his a Scal for Morrison Trade...Maybe throw in Tony Allen and Pat0 and get Nazr Mohammed...
At this point I say Ainge needs to admit he messed up and start cutting players for free agents. All names outside of the starting 5 need to be up for discussion.

In an earlier post I said this roster would be perfect...
Starting 5 + Marbury, House, Miles, Horry, Joe Smith and Powe

The salaries and trading would be difficult to explain again, but this final roster would be the one to defend a championship
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
DO you think they'd consider this? 

GS gets 3 contracts that expire after next year and Rondo.  We get 4 pretty nice players that aren't necessarily considered part of a "core" right now in GS. 

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to Golden State and Boston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Golden State and Boston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4918895

Golden State Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
  Rajon Rondo
6-1 PG from Kentucky
10.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 7.6 apg in 32.0 minutes 
  Tony Allen
6-4 SG from Oklahoma State
7.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 19.7 minutes 
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC
2.1 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.1 minutes 
  Ray Allen
6-5 SG from Connecticut
17.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 36.3 minutes 

Outgoing Players
  Marco Belinelli
6-6 SG from Italy
9.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 20.8 minutes
  Stephen Jackson
6-8 SF / SG from Oak Hill Academy (HS)
19.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 6.0 apg in 39.5 minutes
  Corey Maggette
6-6 SF from Duk
19.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.8 apg in 34.7 minutes
  Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG / PG from Michigan
19.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 4.4 apg in 35.6 minutes
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

Offline medman34

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I was looking at a version of that trade but I don't see that working for us because we end up short of a point with too many wing players.  I think we could do something similar with rondo, Scal, Allen going to golden state and getting Ellis, Crawford/Jackson, and a defensive wing/big in return. I'm not ready to break up our team yet, but if we can't land any of those bench players (Marbury,smith,etc...) I think we will need to shake it up to compete with Cleveland.  I

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Mainstream media outlets generally portray Jackson in a negative way, highlighting the fact that, in only the past three years, he has been charged with felony criminal recklessness and a number of other misdemeanors, including assault, disorderly conduct, and two counts of battery.[15] NO THANKS....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmfeU9rSDs

Re: Steven Jackson
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
As perfect as Stephen Jackson is for the Celtics .... he's an even better fit for the Spurs. I still can't get over the Spurs letting him leave.

You may recall it was a financial deal.  Stephen Jackson wanted a big contract, turned down SA's moderate offer and then ended up signing for less than SA's offer in Atlanta.  That is just how SA works, and since I believe they won 1-2 championships after (I can't remember which year this was in...), I will not criticize them.

You're right, but how many Championships would they have won had they not let him leave? And how many more could he help them win today and over the next few years?

I think the Spurs could have won a lot more titles with Jacks there. I would have favoured them to beat the Lakers the following year in 2004, and beat Detroit to that title. I also think they would have been better than Dallas and Miami the in 2006. Then last year, I think they beat LA and play Boston is closely contested series which again I'd favour them in if Manu was healthy enough otherwise they'd lose. I also think they'd be the frontrunner in the West right now instead of LA this year, and be in a great position for the next 3-4 years. Now they wouldn't necessarily win all those .... but I think they'd stand a far improved chance in each situation and would pick at least some of those titles off.

Is winning two titles since then instead of 3-5 titles worthy of them being absolved from blame? I don't think so.

The Spurs low balled Jackson that summer because they knew nobody else on the market that year would pay him. It was $10mil over three years if I my memory serves me. Jackson rightly felt he was worth a lot more than that so took a risk by taking a smaller short term contract in order to earn a longer lucrative contract in the near future, which he did with the Indiana Pacers (6 years, $40mil). The Spurs shouldn't have low balled him.

If San Antonio had of just offered him a fair contract instead of low balling him ....

That's a very valuable lesson for NBA executives, btw. Under-appreciating top-notch role-players and try to pry them for cheap is often a very costly mistake.