Author Topic: We better make a trade for Joe Smith rather than hope he gets released  (Read 5947 times)

Re: We better make a trade for Joe Smith rather than hope he gets released
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The Thunder had a long look at Tony Allen in the summer and decided to pass on him. They talked to all his college coaches and did an in depth check on him. In the end, they choose he wasn't the right fit for their team.

I don't see Tony's performances this season changing their minds on that. Thus, I don't see Tony being considered an asset in a trade to OKC.

They didn't want him.

Were there any articles about this?  I don't deny its true, but it is the opposite from what I heard (supposedly, OKC wanted Allen, but he chose the C's). 
I'm sorry Chris I don't have anything for you. I actually bookmarked a link in the summer but it was a video link and not an article, and that video has since been taken down. It was a video on the Oklahoman with their beat writer Darnell Mayberry. They were talking (12 minute video) primarily about the team's new names and also had a short section on Tony Allen and the Thunder's search for a shooting guard.

I've tried searching through their archives their for a written report but I clearly can't use that function, getting some very odd results and nothing close to what I'm searching for.

The Thunder had talked to Tony Allen and looked at him extensively. They also did background checks and asked his college coaches (Tony went to Oklahoma State) for information.

Shortly after that video report they decided to end their interest in Tony Allen. Then the Thunder went out and tried to sign CJ Miles (July 18th). Shortly after that the Celtics signed Tony Allen (July 21st).

Darnell Mayberry has a blog on the Oklahoman. He has great information on the Thunder. I think he's one of the best beat writers in the country. It's a pity he isn't covering a better team or in a bigger media market, I'd read him far more often than I already do. He's very good.

Re: We better make a trade for Joe Smith rather than hope he gets released
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's true. The Thunder did indeed back off Tony after an in-depth investigation.

The problem we have trading for anyone is, as Roy points out, no one wants anyone from our bench not named Leon Powe.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."