Author Topic: We better make a trade for Joe Smith rather than hope he gets released  (Read 5954 times)

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There are two key reasons for this.

1- We need the guy to solidify our bench and give us more depth in the front court.

2- If Cleveland gets the guy we can pack it in. They stick him in that second unit and you can start engraving the trophy.

This would be as much a defensive move as it would be to better our team. Get it done.

Re: We better make a trade for Joe Smith rather than hope he gets released
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
sign me up for getting smith here....but what would it take to get it done for okc?

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
sign me up for getting smith here....but what would it take to get it done for okc?
First round pick(s) and expiring contracts

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I agree. I'm not so sure he'd sign with us if he was given his pick of litter (of teams). At least not with how were playing lately. He'd probably pick Cleveland, since they seem to be the favorite, and he has ties there.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:55:32 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The one thing that has for the most part gone unmentioned is that Joe Smith also has some pretty strong ties to Boston. Perhaps if he's bought out, and the Cs have turned their play around, he'll find the opportunity to reunite with KG just as alluring as a trip back to Cleveland.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
The one thing that has for the most part gone unmentioned is that Joe Smith also has some pretty strong ties to Boston.

could you share what you believe those to be (and i'm not trying to be a jerk, i just don't know and would be curious as to hear what those are)?  thanks! ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
We have no leverage for trades, we have scrubs 4 bench. We might as well try D-league players.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
The one thing that has for the most part gone unmentioned is that Joe Smith also has some pretty strong ties to Boston.

could you share what you believe those to be (and i'm not trying to be a jerk, i just don't know and would be curious as to hear what those are)?  thanks! ;)

im not sure what toine was referring to, but i assume it is smith's close/mentoring role he had with KG.  i believe he also is close with sam i am.  

even if thats the case, if he gets bought out, i think he will sign with the cavs.  thats why if we want him, we need to trade for him b4 he gets bought out.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

1- We need the guy to solidify our bench and give us more depth in the front court.

2- If Cleveland gets the guy we can pack it in. They stick him in that second unit and you can start engraving the trophy.

This would be as much a defensive move as it would be to better our team. Get it done.

I agree in principal but as stated above, what is OKC going to take from us?  They have KD, Green, and most likely Blake Griffin on the way.

Furthermore, we have nothing to offer except picks like 3 years out (can't give cash as we're over the cap).

Not looking likely, and it's a shame.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

im not sure what toine was referring to, but i assume it is smith's close/mentoring role he had with KG.  i believe he also is close with sam i am.  

even if thats the case, if he gets bought out, i think he will sign with the cavs.  thats why if we want him, we need to trade for him b4 he gets bought out.
Sorry about not being specific enough, it's his relationship with KG. I thought I heard that they were very close when they played together in Minny.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Think they'd bite if we gave them Powe?  Scal and Powe for Joe Smith.  Works on trade checker.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I agree in principal but as stated above, what is OKC going to take from us?  They have KD, Green, and most likely Blake Griffin on the way.

Furthermore, we have nothing to offer except picks like 3 years out (can't give cash as we're over the cap).

Not looking likely, and it's a shame.

I think they'd take TA, Walker (or Giddens)  and Scal with a 1st round pick a couple years out thrown in. You may have to tweak players a bit to make it work. They know they aren't going to win for a couple years at least and that when we have to blow this whole thing up in a couple years we will drop dramatically and the pick will be better. They also know they will lose him after this year for sure and so that would be worth looking at. None of those contracts are long term or too big and it would keep them open for a free agent down the road. I'd lose out on the potential of one of our young guys for another championship.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The Thunder had a long look at Tony Allen in the summer and decided to pass on him. They talked to all his college coaches and did an in depth check on him. In the end, they choose he wasn't the right fit for their team.

I don't see Tony's performances this season changing their minds on that. Thus, I don't see Tony being considered an asset in a trade to OKC.

They didn't want him.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Thunder had a long look at Tony Allen in the summer and decided to pass on him. They talked to all his college coaches and did an in depth check on him. In the end, they choose he wasn't the right fit for their team.

I don't see Tony's performances this season changing their minds on that. Thus, I don't see Tony being considered an asset in a trade to OKC.

They didn't want him.

Good post.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

They didn't want him.

Were there any articles about this?  I don't deny its true, but it is the opposite from what I heard (supposedly, OKC wanted Allen, but he chose the C's).