Author Topic: Celtics (29-8) at Cavs (28-6) 1/9  (Read 74693 times)

Re: Celtics (29-8) at Cavs (28-6) 1/9
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:30 PM »

Offline Yugocelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
reality check...
#1 the refs were fine.  Don't lower yourself to the same excuses every team makes when we beat them.

#2 LeBron was amazing.  Anyone who dared argue that Paul Pierce was "better" is nutty.   Bron is the best player in the world and the only player in the league that I'm legitimately frightened of as a Celtic fan.

#3 We didn't play that bad.  Seriously.   We were playing a better team.  But we could have been beaten a heck of a lot more than that.  Cavs are better.  I know you dont' want to believe it.  Believe it.  They almost beat us last year and that team wasn't close to as good as it is this year.  They are better.  We couldn't beat them in Cleveland last year either. 

#4 Its not the end of the world.  At some point we will try to sign some help. 

Kudos man, especially #3.  Last year they were good, this year, they're just scary.  I didn't wanna admit it, but I think its time to.  Even if we return from this slump somehow, the Cavs still scare me.

« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
reality check...
#1 the refs were fine.  Don't lower yourself to the same excuses every team makes when we beat them.

#2 LeBron was amazing.  Anyone who dared argue that Paul Pierce was "better" is nutty.   Bron is the best player in the world and the only player in the league that I'm legitimately frightened of as a Celtic fan.

#3 We didn't play that bad.  Seriously.   We were playing a better team.  But we could have been beaten a heck of a lot more than that.  Cavs are better.  I know you dont' want to believe it.  Believe it.  They almost beat us last year and that team wasn't close to as good as it is this year.  They are better.  We couldn't beat them in Cleveland last year either. 

No, the refs were not ok. They really weren't. Look at BrickJames post from about a page ago, because its totally accurate.

LeBron is great. I'm not disputing that. The Cavs are also better.

But we could've have won/stolen the game if the refs had been ok. They were not.

Refs were fine.  We got outplayed.  Every team the Celtics beat during that 19 game streak cried about the refs favoring Boston.  I'm not going to lower myself to that nonsense after the Cavs clearly outplayed us for 4 quarters.

Our effort seemed improved though.  

« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »

Offline SportsFanatic88

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
We were definitely outplayed, the Cavs were better all day, I hope we get out of this slump.

« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Blaming the refs for this loss tonight is laughable. I just don't get it. Cavs totally outplayed the Celtics tonight and are by far the best team in the east right now. Amazing how quickly old guys can get old!

« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
reality check...

No, the refs were not ok. They really weren't. Look at BrickJames post from about a page ago, because its totally accurate.

LeBron is great. I'm not disputing that. The Cavs are also better.

But we could've have won/stolen the game if the refs had been ok. They were not.

Refs were fine.  We got outplayed.  Every team the Celtics beat during that 19 game streak cried about the refs favoring Boston.  I'm not going to lower myself to that nonsense after the Cavs clearly outplayed us for 4 quarters.

Our effort seemed improved though.  

I really don't like you insinuating that its "lowering yourself" to put some onus on the officials. They make a difference. In fact, they control the momentum of the game. We were not badly outplayed. Especially not in the third quarter. If we had not had some unfortunate calls against us on the offensive end, followed by a questionable foul that resulted in an and-1 (like the Rondo foul on LeBron's jumper) we could have taken a lead in the game. Who knows where it plays out from there.

To dismiss the effects of the referees completely is absurd. But whatever, you obviously have your position on this issue completely set in stone. You probably aren't even paying attention to what I say, just writing me off as some angry idiot who wants the Celtics to be infallible.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
cleveland is just better. period. no excuses.

« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
OHHH MY GOD I'M NOT SAYING CLEVELAND ISN'T BETTER.

They ARE.

I'm just SAYING we could have stolen this game had the officiating been better. It killed several of our runs, changed the momentum of the game, and allowed the better team to win. We could have snuck away with one, but the officials hampered us enough that the Cavs were able to recover and win.... as they should have, because they are better, but sometimes a team that isn't as good can win a game. That's why teams don't go undefeated.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
effort was better .......... but the Celtics are not getting to loose balls early like last year - they are flat-footed and watching the action and then reacting instead of being the aggressor too often.

why??  partly they are tired. tough schedule so far with too many games. also they are having to work harder because they are short two key contributors plus even Cassell did contribute during the regular season last year. teams are shooting for the champions every night out and we don't have the fire-power right now to deal with all that opposing energy. plus, no practice.

i know that teams had more off days between games in the past. seems you would always more often get weeks with just two games in the past to allow for meaningful rest and practice time. why is the schedule so slammed now ?? it's the same number of games ?????
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this week was brutal...follow up a west coast trip with what 5 games in 8 days? this team is mentally grinded down....make them play back to back night and then at cleveland while cleveland has 2 days off...the bobcats...another day off and then boston...stern and the schedule were not kind

« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
What I feel right now is pity... just pity!! Things ain't gonna change...

And I hoped I would never had to say it but PP, my favorite player, is not an elite player anymore! He's the best among the good SFs but I doubt it if he's even an All-star anymore... Today Lebron hurt his feelings, it's the least I can say!! Last summer Paul said he's the best player in the world, at the 1st game of the season he was very good and outplayed Lebron, but today... what a shame man, I have never seen him getting owned so bad!!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
does anyone else feel like me...ARE WE EVER GOING TO WIN A GAME ANYTIME SOON??? i dont care who it is against...the team and their fans need a W

« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
avery "his voice drives me crazy" johnson made a great point at halftime of the second espn game...

he stated that the celtics are fading out in the second half of games and are playing on tired legs...not a good sign at this point of the season.

here's what concerns me about that statement: think of all the games where we were blowing people out and sitting our starters for the bulk of the 4th quarter.  if they're tired (and i agree with him) that doesn't bode well because they should actually be more rested this season than last.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I feel like throwing a lot of
curse words out there. I'll
spare you, though.

Just let me know this:
Cleveland deserved the win, i.e.
did not receive help from the refs?

I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch.

« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Just let me know this:
Cleveland deserved the win, i.e.
did not receive help from the refs?

« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2009, 03:13:26 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
What I feel right now is pity... just pity!! Things ain't gonna change...

And I hoped I would never had to say it but PP, my favorite player, is not an elite player anymore! He's the best among the good SFs but I doubt it if he's even an All-star anymore... Today Lebron hurt his feelings, it's the least I can say!! Last summer Paul said he's the best player in the world, at the 1st game of the season he was very good and outplayed Lebron, but today... what a shame man, I have never seen him getting owned so bad!!

If Pierce isnt an elite player anymore, than you might want to check KG and ray allens pulse there buddy
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce