Author Topic: Interesting Stuff From Deke  (Read 5403 times)

Interesting Stuff From Deke
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

What do you guys make of this? Personally, I'm a little disappointed in the Celtics brass if this is true. Deke would have filled a definite need and would have done so fairly well, or at least not bad enough that they should drag their feet and hope PJ changes his mind or they can pry Joe Smith. They must really have a strong feeling they can get one of those options.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Interesting Stuff From Deke
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think its egotistical on his part.  all gm's should have a few names that they want to fill a void.  you shouldnt put all ur eggs in one basket

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Talk about self serving. And Deke "read" about it? Where? Here? Come on man. Its like telling a girl you know likes you "well if things would've shook out differently we could've ended up together" while you're with someone else. Its completely self serving.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
wow. maybe they really didn't make him an offer after all...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I took from it that they did, but Deke wasn't the only one they were lookin at. Apparently he wanted to be wooed. Danny should've sent roses, not lillies.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I took from it that they did, but Deke wasn't the only one they were lookin at. Apparently he wanted to be wooed. Danny should've sent roses, not lillies.

or a donation to his hospital in the congo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »

• Don Chaney

hahaha TP.

Either Deke is somewhat delusional and got an offer that he just didn't like, or Ainge never gave him one. If Ainge never offered anything, why hold off? What would Deke not bring that the others would?

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

hahaha TP.

Either Deke is somewhat delusional and got an offer that he just didn't like, or Ainge never gave him one. If Ainge never offered anything, why hold off? What would Deke not bring that the others would?

Well, if they'd signed Mutombo, wouldn't that have dissuaded Joe Smith from joining the club? I think Danny is holding out that Smith comes to Boston. Question is whether the gamble will pay off.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

hahaha TP.

Well, if they'd signed Mutombo, wouldn't that have dissuaded Joe Smith from joining the club? I think Danny is holding out that Smith comes to Boston. Question is whether the gamble will pay off.

I think that's a terrible idea on Danny's part. See the need, fill the need. The chance we don't fill it is way worse than the chance we don't get 'our guy'

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The only excuses Ainge may have for not making the man a firm and definitive offer are: - a promise from a similar guy of joining later ; - the owners are cash-strapped due to the financial crisis and can't add a salary without sending someone out. Other than that, it's almost as bad as low-balling Posey.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »

• Don Chaney

hahaha TP.

I think that's a terrible idea on Danny's part. See the need, fill the need. The chance we don't fill it is way worse than the chance we don't get 'our guy'

Agreed and that's exactly my point IP... that idea really worries me considering PJ sounds really retired right now, and there's no way Zo is coming. Talk about all the eggs in one basket... as of right now we do not control Joe Smith, and if we don't get him, get ready for BBD, Powe, or (gulp) POB trying to contain Dwight Howard, Big Z/Varejao, or Gasol/Bynum.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

hahaha TP.

I think there's about a 0% chance that Joe Smith signs in Boston.  First, it's questionable whether he's going to be bought out.  However, if he is, he's pretty much a lock to sign in Cleveland. 

Deke would have been an upgrade over both BBD and POB, and obviously wanted to come here.  Danny simply messed up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

hahaha TP.

I think there's about a 0% chance that Joe Smith signs in Boston.  First, it's questionable whether he's going to be bought out.  However, if he is, he's pretty much a lock to sign in Cleveland. 

Deke would have been an upgrade over both BBD and POB, and obviously wanted to come here.  Danny simply messed up.

No disagreement here.

I suspect Mutombo's being a little disingenuous here though. If Danny had offered money equal to Houston's offer (the minimum), would he really have signed with Boston?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Why is he a lock to go to Celeveland? Did I miss something?

Why is Joe Smith a lock to go to Cleveland?

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Why is he a lock to go to Celeveland? Did I miss something?

Why is Joe Smith a lock to go to Cleveland?

Because he played there last year and from all accounts, really liked it.  Cleveland has a need at backup power forward, and Smith is the one piece they're perhaps missing.

Smith commented on rumors that he would go to Cleveland if bought out:  ""I would have interest in the Cavs, I'm not sure they would be interested in me," Smith said. "They would be an option.""

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions