Author Topic: Would you rather have Jeff Green or Ray Allen? OKC Discussion  (Read 8655 times)

Would you rather have Jeff Green or Ray Allen? OKC Discussion
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Heh.  The title of this thread is sorta a joke.  We traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen last year.  As a mild Sonics fan (I live in Seattle) I  hated the trade at the time for both teams.  Prior to trading for KG, the Allen trade seemed like a desperation move for the Celtics.   For the Sonics it seemed foolish to trade away a perfect mentor for Durant... and I didn't understand using the pick on Jeff Green.  I figured Yi Jianlian was a much better choice.

Guess I was pretty wrong. 

Anyone following the worst team in the league?   Their three youngsters sure have been pretty impressive.

Durant last month:  25.1 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.3 blocks.  47% shooting.  42% from three.   He's off to a big start this month too...  Ever since they switched him to his natural position, he's been amazing.  He looks like he'll be a 30 and 10 guy shortly down the road.  His stats are definitely on the rise, but overall he's currently sitting as statistically the 26th best player in the league.   He's 20 years old... I wanted to compare him to Melo at the same age until I realized... he's probably already better than Melo at his current age.

Russell Westbrook is a surprise too.  I thought that pick was going to be a bust.  Last month:  15.5 points, 5.1 assists, 5.1 rebounds, 1.3 steals.  46% shooting.   Another 20 year old.  Maybe that kid is going to be good afterall.  His big game against the Knicks last night helped the Thunder get a rare win (22 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds).

And then Jeff Green.  Also big last month averaging 18 points and 7 rebounds on 50% shooting.    His overall stats this season are pretty solid.   I checked it out and he's currently statistically the 73rd best player in the league.  I found it interesting that the person sitting one spot ahead of him was none other than Ray Allen. 

Ray Allen:  17.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists, .8 steals with 48% shooting
Jeff Green: 16.5 points, 6.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.2 steals with 46% shooting.

Obviously that trade worked out for both teams.  We won a title and the Thunder get a guy who is 11 years younger putting up the same production (Green will likely leapfrog Ray by the end of the season if he keeps up his progression).   Granted, the Thunder Trio have some inflated stats and minutes due to their team being terrible while Ray is sacrificing stats for the good of the team, but it's still some interesting stuff. 

I dunno what to make of the Thunder, though.  Seems like a poorly constructed roster.  Durant obviously has to stay at SF, but now aren't they sorta playing Jeff Green out of position at PF?  And is Westbrook a PG or an undersized SG?  It'll be interesting to see if they are forced to make a trade down the road if they end up drafting a legit PF like Blake Griffin. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:36:46 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Would you rather have Jeff Green or Ray Allen? OKC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You just can't compare stats of players from one of the best teams with the worst team. I could probably put up 10-12 points a night for the Thunder right now. I like Jeff Green (although, like you, I was a bigger fan of Yi at the time), but I don't think he is going to be this huge break-out player. I figure he is similar to Ryan Gomes, which is good, but not great. He has pretty limited potential, but that's not necessarily an insult. We knew this coming out of college. I hope he can continue his progression, but I have a feeling that if his team gets better, his stats will go down- like Ray Allen, but to a lesser extent.

In so many words, the trade worked out for both teams, but the Celtics are the one with banner 17 right now...

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Ray Allen and its not even close...
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
While we're on the OKC discussion, what the hell was Carlesimo thinking putting Durant at the 2? He's been unbelievable since they've moved him.

As for Ray and Jeff:

Ray Allen and its not even close...

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Ray b/c otherwise we never would have gotten KG! :D
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
While we're on the OKC discussion, what the hell was Carlesimo thinking putting Durant at the 2? He's been unbelievable since they've moved him.

I have no idea.  Carlesimo was absolutely horrible.  The fact that he had Earl Watson playing way more minutes than than Westbrook was insane.  His rotations were horrible too.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If you take KG out of the equation, I'd rather have Jeff Green and Delonte West.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'll take the banner.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Definitely one of the most disturbing thoughts I've ever come across. I'm not knocking it because who knows what the future holds for Green, but just picturing Green in a C's uniform instead of Ray gives me the creeps!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I too will take the banner. That said, OKC is going to be a very interesting team someday. Maybe not with this crew but they will have some impressive teams soon enough if their GM can pull a Danny Ainge and trade some of that young talent for a couple of stars to compliment Durant.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Some interesting thoughts on Jeff Green.  Looks like the majority of you aren't convinced he's going to be that great.  

Obviously it was worth it, because we got the championship.  I'm curious though in a year or two how we'd look at it.  Do you guys think Jeff Green will ever surpass an aging Ray Allen?... or will he only be "more valuable" to team when Ray retires...

You obviously take the banner. But we already have the banner.  If OKC offered you Jeff Green right now for Ray Allen, would any of you take it?  :)

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some interesting thoughts on Jeff Green.  Looks like the majority of you aren't convinced he's going to be that great.  

Obviously it was worth it, because we got the championship.  I'm curious though in a year or two how we'd look at it.  Do you guys think Jeff Green will ever surpass an aging Ray Allen?... or will he only be "more valuable" to team when Ray retires...

You obviously take the banner. But we already have the banner.  If OKC offered you Jeff Green right now for Ray Allen, would any of you take it?  :)

Right now, no.

This offseason, in a heartbeat.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

Why don't you just call this thread "Let's Try To Give SSFan Angina"??

my sentiments lean slightly towards Nick's.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I am sorry but there is NO way you can compare Jeff Green and Ray Allen.  One is a hall of famer, the other is a slightly above average second year player.  People must be getting bored???

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I am sorry but there is NO way you can compare Jeff Green and Ray Allen.  One is a hall of famer, the other is a slightly above average second year player.  People must be getting bored???

Who cares if Allen is a hall of famer.  If someone offered you Jeff Green for John Havlicek-- right now, in 2009--would you take it?

Green is 10 years younger, 5 inches taller and makes less money.