Author Topic: Need to run more  (Read 1356 times)

Need to run more
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics need more easy offense.  When Rondo and Ray Allen are getting down the floor and finishing and/or getting fouled, the Celtics' whole game starts clicking.  When they slow down and go halfcourt for extended periods the offense really bogs down.

It guess it starts on the defensive end.  They need to regain their defensive intensity to get steals/turnovers/rebounds and get out on the break.  They should also try running more after made baskets (a la D'Antoni) when the other team is making an offensive run.

To be blunt, I find the C's halfcourt offense to be rather tedious and, at times, just ugly.  But when Rondo is flying down the court and dishing to open guys, the team is beautiful and exciting to watch.  Oh, and more effective too!

Re: Need to run more
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, most of our easy tansision baskets come off our great defense, which we've  decided to abandon latley in favor of letting the other team abuse us.

When you allow tons of made shots its tougher to run.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think Tommy really has it right on the head. When Rondo rushes up the floor we're unstoppable, when he walks it we give the defense time to strategise and think of how to play us.

Lets say we're playing the knicks. Rondo gets the outlet pass and runs down the other end, he gets by Nate Robinson forcing another defender (lets say Q-Rich) to pick up RR. Celtics offense isolates. At this point either ray or paul is being covered by little Nate (or even better Nate is just wandering around Rondo telling Q to make the switch.) Find the open man / mismatch and take advantage of it.

Another option is that Rondo gets by his man and NOONE is back on D yet. then even more simple, rondo gets a layup.

Case in point, if you run the floor and force the tempo then it doesn't matter if the defense gameplans for you. 

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i think Tommy really has it right on the head. When Rondo rushes up the floor we're unstoppable, when he walks it we give the defense time to strategise and think of how to play us.

Lets say we're playing the knicks. Rondo gets the outlet pass and runs down the other end, he gets by Nate Robinson forcing another defender (lets say Q-Rich) to pick up RR. Celtics offense isolates. At this point either ray or paul is being covered by little Nate (or even better Nate is just wandering around Rondo telling Q to make the switch.) Find the open man / mismatch and take advantage of it.

Another option is that Rondo gets by his man and NOONE is back on D yet. then even more simple, rondo gets a layup.

Case in point, if you run the floor and force the tempo then it doesn't matter if the defense gameplans for you. 

all true, but running off makes is 1000 times harder than running off turnovers and rebounds.

Which is a problem right now, because were not playing defense like we normally do, and thus teams are getting a ton of made baskets.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is absolutely a problem.  No one seems to be getting out in front of Rondo like they were earlier in the season.  You can chalk it up to them being tired, but it doesn't change the fact that they are at their best when they are getting up the floor fast. 

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I agree that Rondo should be pushing the ball 100% of the time, but in order to be a good running team you need to get stops.  The defense has not been all that great at getting stops recently.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
you know who runs the floor everytime? bill walker. The other team scores and then instead of sulking and walking up he runs and tries to get behind the defense.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
you know who runs the floor everytime? bill walker. The other team scores and then instead of sulking and walking up he runs and tries to get behind the defense.

Hopefully he will be flying back to Boston with Danny after the end of the D-League showcase tomorrow night. 

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Hopefully he will be flying back to Boston with Danny after the end of the D-League showcase tomorrow night. 

one can hope.

I mean, TA just gives us nothing at the SF spot, and scal is horrid.