Author Topic: Is Kevin Garnett getting let off the hook here?  (Read 5561 times)

Is Kevin Garnett getting let off the hook here?
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
For those that are in the process of watching Sports Tonight know where I'm goin with this.

Marc Spears brought it up and it's a very under the radar topic, but KG is playing the same minutes as last year, and yet his numbers are down a bit this season.  Especially during this streak of losing 5 out of 7, he hasn't performed like the Big Ticket and he hasn't playing the defense of a reigning defensive player of the year.

It's important to keep in mind that it may not be his fault.  Could he be hurt and not telling anyone?  Is he more tired this season?  Is his age maybe starting to catch up to him?

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to giving him a game or two off if it's going to get him rest.  This can start AFTER the Cavs game on Friday of course  :P

Re: Is Kevin Garnett getting let off the hook here?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Yeah, I've noticed it all along...But now that Perk isnt playing well either its even more glaring defensively, and his offense is sometimes putrid... He and Rondo both are different players on the road...
Somethings going on...injured...completly worn out...not in great shape.. slowly declining..dont know
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Yeah, I've noticed it all along...But now that Perk isnt playing well either its even more glaring defensively, and his offense is sometimes putrid... He and Rondo both are different players on the road...
Somethings going on...injured...completly worn out...not in great shape.. slowly declining..dont know

Hey hey hey, Perk is playing fine. He's been just about the only steady contributor during this stretch.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It was reported last week that KG has a bum leg. He mentioned it when yelling at POB.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

• Don Chaney

Hey hey hey, Perk is playing fine. He's been just about the only steady contributor during this stretch.

Perk is pulling his weight for his role, yes...but he was much more of a force on that 19 game win streak....Perk and rondo had a great deal to do with that stretch, and they've both cooled off a bit...KG is about the same, but now we're losing and more people are gonna notice
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »

• Don Chaney
It was reported last week that KG has a bum leg. He mentioned it when yelling at POB.

Then he should rest, simple as that, because tonight we actually were playing better at the end of the game with either BBD or Powe...no lie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Ah ok, didn't realize that.

Then maybe it is a good time to give KG rest.  Heck, if he's yelling at O'Bryant, giving Patrick some minutes...I wanna see this guy in a rotation for a game or two.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Then maybe it is a good time to give KG rest.  Heck, if he's yelling at O'Bryant, giving Patrick some minutes...I wanna see this guy in a rotation for a game or two.

I have no desire to see POB in there, but I agree that KG needs some rest.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 11:30:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I have no desire to see POB in there, but I agree that KG needs some rest.

id rather see POB sink and swim now than keep him around if he's useless.

I fell the same about pruitt (though i think gabe would swim just fine)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Need some length off the bench. We've got Patty there and he's ready to play. Give the kid some minutes, he cant do any worse than whats been going on with us lately. It'll give KG some rest, the bench a big guy to plop in the middle on defense, and give the kid some time to develop.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I just do not understand all of these people saying O'Bryant is ready to play. On what are they basing this opinion. I have season tickets and have seen him in garbage time several times. He has a hard time playing against the second team center on the opposition. I think he would get destroyed playing against frontline frontcourt players.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don't believe anyone is saying POB is ready to play...just that he will never be ready if he doesn't get some time, and better now than later.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
In the spirit of ubuntu I try not to point fingers when the team loses. Individual numbers going down on is not necessarily a bad thing as the Celtics are all about team work. If KG needs a couple of games off then he should sit. He's technically the easiest starter to replace as the combo of Powe/BBD/Scal works at the BU 4. POB is not ready to start but a few minutes against a weak team's backup C might not be disastrous. He definitely has a long way to go but I like to watch him play as I'm mesmerized by his freakishly long wingspan.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Maybe Doc should try what the Suns do/did with Shaq,gave him a night off every other game until he got it back going...seemed to work for Shaq and now he is playing much better.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
maybe we can get shaq to play on KG's off nights.

on a serious note that really is a good idea, TP.