Author Topic: Are the Suns Really in Financial Trouble?  (Read 1758 times)

Are the Suns Really in Financial Trouble?
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
RealGM article today about the Phoenix Suns releasing Dee Brown after recently signing him. Reports were that the team "liked" him a lot but it was for financial reasons. We are only talking about a couple of hundred thousand dollars here people. Not very much in terms of NBA salary. This makes me wonder if we can put together a package of players with cash to pry away Barbosa, Grant Hill or Matt Barnes or some combination?

I tried a few on the ESPN trade tracker and a 3 for 2 with cash would work as well as send some money their way. Scalabrine, Tony Allen, Giddens with cash for Barbosa and Barnes. We could even buy a couple of players outright I bet or get them to throw in draft picks on the trade.

They do not even have the full 15 players allowed currently on the roster. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Are the Suns Really in Financial Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
RealGM article today about the Phoenix Suns releasing Dee Brown after recently signing him. Reports were that the team "liked" him a lot but it was for financial reasons. We are only talking about a couple of hundred thousand dollars here people. Not very much in terms of NBA salary. This makes me wonder if we can put together a package of players with cash to pry away Barbosa, Grant Hill or Matt Barnes or some combination?

I tried a few on the ESPN trade tracker and a 3 for 2 with cash would work as well as send some money their way. Scalabrine, Tony Allen, Giddens with cash for Barbosa and Barnes. We could even buy a couple of players outright I bet or get them to throw in draft picks on the trade.

They do not even have the full 15 players allowed currently on the roster. 8)

Its tough to tell, the suns have always been very opposed to spending money.

Witness our starting PG, who PHX was reportedly high on, but sold to us for 3 million dollars because they thought he might take a year or two to develop.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
if they wanted straight financial relief, they'd just trade these dudes for (d'antoni's guy) starbury.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:00:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well, their owner is probably cash-strapped because he had to borrow money in order to buy the franchise, but they're not in that kind of financial trouble.

They released Dee Brown for the same reason that the Bucks released Croshere or the Clippers released Fred Jones or the Heat released Livingston: they had non-guaranteed contracts and all contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season as of January 10th. So yeah, it's somewhat for financial reasons (teams won't say that the player sucks anyway), but not exactly because they're in such financial trouble they need to make radical moves to diminish the payroll.