Author Topic: T. Allen's Jump Shot  (Read 5288 times)

Re: T. Allen's Jump Shot
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Cordobes, you are giving season stats for 06/07 season.  Nice try, but I know (and you probably do as well) that Tony did not get going intil late November or early December, right before Pierce went down with his injury. Can you provide me with his stat line on outside shooting (both 3 point and 2 point) during the months of December and January during that season? Or at least give me the link so that I can look it up. I must say I was surprised that his 3 point percentage was so low that season, as I recall differently. My strong hunch is that I am recalling that pretty long streak of games (right before the injury) where he seemed he could not miss much of anything, including 3 pointers and midrange jumpers. If that proves me wrong, I stand corrected and will eat crow. Thanks.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Cordobes, you are giving season stats for 06/07 season.  Nice try, but I know (and you probably do as well) that Tony did not get going intil late November or early December, right before Pierce went down with his injury. Can you provide me with his stat line on outside shooting (both 3 point and 2 point) during the months of December and January during that season? Or at least give me the link so that I can look it up. I must say I was surprised that his 3 point percentage was so low that season, as I recall differently. My strong hunch is that I am recalling that pretty long streak of games (right before the injury) where he seemed he could not miss much of anything, including 3 pointers and midrange jumpers. If that proves me wrong, I stand corrected and will eat crow. Thanks.

someone said it before and i'll repeat it, that stretch of games has become the most mystically overrated thing to point to of all time.

those were the most legendary games of any young players career.

Yes, he played well above his head for 3 weeks before getting injured, but i don't think that indicates he was paul pierce 2.0 before the dastardly injury bug hit him.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think we probably will never know what kind of player he could have become, but it was a very incredible display of several weeks' worth of basketball. To suggest the Tony we are seeing now is the same Tony we saw then from a physical standpoint is inaccurate, and needs clarification.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

someone said it before and i'll repeat it, that stretch of games has become the most mystically overrated thing to point to of all time.

those were the most legendary games of any young players career.

Yes, he played well above his head for 3 weeks before getting injured, but i don't think that indicates he was paul pierce 2.0 before the dastardly injury bug hit him.

Why is it that Tony Allen supporters always point to those 16 games of Tony's 269 game career as being the real Tony Allen and every other game there's an excuse for.

04-05 Rookie Year inconsistency and stupid playing is expected
05-06 Spent the whole year recovering from his injury
06-07 First 17 games - Doc didn't play him enough or with any consistency
06-07 Those special 16 games - The Real Tony Allen
07-08 Recovering from surgery
08-09 Still being effected residually from the injury and the what???????????????

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The source for the stats I used: http://www.82games.com/0607/06BOS5A.HTM

Unfortunately, I don't think that this stat is available for a 2 months period.

Anyway, from early December till his last game he shot 8-29 from behind the line. That's an underwhelming 27%. I don't remember exactly when Pierce went down, but it was somewhere before Christmas, so from Christmas Day till his injury, Tony's efficiency was 25%. And, come on, 8 made triples for a shooting guard?

Even though I don't have the stats, I'm pretty confident his accuracy from 2pt jumpers wasn't much better. Yeah, he was playing very well and he got extremely hot in a couple of nights, but it was 15 games. His mechanics weren't different than what they've always been. Lots of players look excellent for small stretches. Select Ramon Sessions best 2 months of last season and Juan José Barea best 2 months of this season and you have the best combo of guards in the entire league, HoF quality.