Author Topic: T. Allen's Jump Shot  (Read 5314 times)

T. Allen's Jump Shot
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I might be nitpicking here - but I was wondering if anyone else noticed or if I'm stating the obvious.  Everytime Tony takes a jumper, he doesn't release it at the top of his jump, which is what  I thought you were supposed to do - and partially the reason Ray went on his slumps last year, because he wasn't able to get the lift he needed. Am I offbase? Tony is always letting the jumpshot go on his way down rather than on his way up.

Re: T. Allen's Jump Shot
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I might be nitpicking here - but I was wondering if anyone else noticed or if I'm stating the obvious.  Everytime Tony takes a jumper, he doesn't release it at the top of his jump, which is what  I thought you were supposed to do - and partially the reason Ray went on his slumps last year, because he wasn't able to get the lift he needed. Am I offbase? Tony is always letting the jumpshot go on his way down rather than on his way up.
We call that a jump shot being BROKE! You are not offbase, it is hideous!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You're not off base.  But I think trying to break down the release point of Tony's jumpshot is like saying "I think Roseanne Barr should wear a little more makeup". 

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
The bad part about it is he always claps his hands together & lifts his head in the air like he could not beleive it did not go in that time. Drives me nuts! He has zero confidence in that terrible shot of his!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
You're not off base.  But I think trying to break down the release point of Tony's jumpshot is like saying "I think Roseanne Barr should wear a little more makeup". 

Wow, a Roseanne Barr reference.  And a sadly accurate analogy.  Well, well done, Chris.

Agreed all the way with the OP, Soap.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
One of the weirdest and surreal conversations I had on this board was this off-season with people trying to convince me that Allen's jumper was solid, decent, average, serviceable or whatever the qualifier was.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One of the weirdest and surreal conversations I had on this board was this off-season with people trying to convince me that Allen's jumper was solid, decent, average, serviceable or whatever the qualifier was.
Yeah, I remember those convos. One guy and went so far as to say that once Allen was able to get all his spring back that he would prove to be a pretty decent three point shooter. LOL, yeah right.

And soap is 100% right. It's like Tony is waiting for someone to hit him so that he can go to the foul line. He does the same thing on most of his drives to the basket, too. And you would have thought that someone would have coached him out of that god awful catapult arm action shot of his that, along with his release point, is the reason he's such a bad shooter.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I wonder whose a better shooter...Rondo or TA?

Both of them struggle with form. Rondo cant keep his elbow in and TA doesn't release at the right time. Its a good thing our other guards are lights out or we'd be in real trouble.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Both of them struggle with form. Rondo cant keep his elbow in and TA doesn't release at the right time. Its a good thing our other guards are lights out or we'd be in real trouble.

Rondo is better. He actually has a nice three point stroke... I can't remember seeing him miss a three this season (though I'm sure he has), and the times I do remember him missing, the shots were in and out.

But most of all, I think we can agree there is some hope for Rondo's J. TA? No. Not at all. It goes in just enough in warmups to convince him that he doesn't need to change anything.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Rondo is better. He actually has a nice three point stroke... I can't remember seeing him miss a three this season (though I'm sure he has), and the times I do remember him missing, the shots were in and out.

But most of all, I think we can agree there is some hope for Rondo's J. TA? No. Not at all. It goes in just enough in warmups to convince him that he doesn't need to change anything.

7-22 isn't exactly a very  good three point shooting display... Although the sad thing is that you are right. TA's .150 percentage is half that of Rondo's. I think realistically though that neither one of them has hope. They both can't shoot to save their lives. I blame this on the coaching staff. They ought to have Danny down there giving them fundamental instruction on how to shoot the ball. He had a pure stroke.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

7-22 isn't exactly a very  good three point shooting display... Although the sad thing is that you are right. TA's .150 percentage is half that of Rondo's. I think realistically though that neither one of them has hope. They both can't shoot to save their lives. I blame this on the coaching staff. They ought to have Danny down there giving them fundamental instruction on how to shoot the ball. He had a pure stroke.

I'm shocked that Rondo's percentage is that bad. I think a few of those were just half court heaves, probably 5 of them, making him really more like 7-17, which is 41%. That's pretty good. Also, if you look at his shooting from a perspective other than cold hard statistics, his misses haven't been far off at all. I can remember 2 or 3 shots very clearly that went 1/2 down and popped out.

Either way, the sample size is very small and therefore not really good data to use to back up a point. I just think Rondo's shot looks a little better, and I think Rondo has the work ethic and mental capacity to make adjustments while TA.... well... is TA.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
meh, i could care less about a guy's shooting style...it only matters if it goes in.

josh childress is a mess, and you'd never teach a kid to shoot like tayshaun prince.  if you guys ever saw jamaal wilkes shoot the ball you'd shake your head in disbelief. 

when we have threads like this we know we're fanatics... :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Those of you bashing Tony's jump shot either have very short memories or did not follow the Celtics much a couple of years ago.  You know, BKGRA, when they were losing alot of games.  For those of us (like me) who did, we remember that Tony actually had developed a very reliable jumper from about the 15 to 20 foot range, and yes, was getting decent from 3 point range as well. It all ended that fateful game versus Indiana and the knee explosion. For those of you who understand how important the legs are in jumpshooting, it should be no surprise that he continues to struggle with his shot, just as he cannot elevate on his finishes as he once could. His form is not great, but neither was that of Reggie Miller.  Yes, he has lost much confidence in his shot. I think his knee is not fully recovered, and may never get to that point either.  I accept the criticism that he has become a poor outside shooter, but absolutely reject the allegation that he never was.  Just the facts.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I'm shocked that Rondo's percentage is that bad. I think a few of those were just half court heaves, probably 5 of them, making him really more like 7-17, which is 41%. That's pretty good. Also, if you look at his shooting from a perspective other than cold hard statistics, his misses haven't been far off at all. I can remember 2 or 3 shots very clearly that went 1/2 down and popped out.

Either way, the sample size is very small and therefore not really good data to use to back up a point. I just think Rondo's shot looks a little better, and I think Rondo has the work ethic and mental capacity to make adjustments while TA.... well... is TA.

Many of the one's he heaves he does after the buzzer has sounded which doesn't count. You can't give a guy a 41% 3 pt shooting ratio when it isn't and then throw out 2 or 3 that didn't go down. Using that logic PP is a 60% three point shooter and Ray at 85%...

The sample size is very small I agree, but that is because he knows he can't shoot. The rare times he launches one is when the shot clock is winding down and there is no choice, or he is absolutely wide open which is also rare. His shot does look better though. That is true. Rondo is at least smart enough to realize he isn't a good shooter so doesn't take many, and is also smart enough to try and work on it. I don't think he did this last offseason though after making seemingly good strides his previous one. I am a little worried about his cockiness. I think he may have the personality that he is already great and an all-star and doesn't need to improve. You can see it in his face out there on the court and in his showboating. He is very good at what he does well though. When he decides to do it...

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Those of you bashing Tony's jump shot either have very short memories or did not follow the Celtics much a couple of years ago.  You know, BKGRA, when they were losing alot of games.  For those of us (like me) who did, we remember that Tony actually had developed a very reliable jumper from about the 15 to 20 foot range, and yes, was getting decent from 3 point range as well. It all ended that fateful game versus Indiana and the knee explosion. For those of you who understand how important the legs are in jumpshooting, it should be no surprise that he continues to struggle with his shot, just as he cannot elevate on his finishes as he once could. His form is not great, but neither was that of Reggie Miller.  Yes, he has lost much confidence in his shot. I think his knee is not fully recovered, and may never get to that point either.  I accept the criticism that he has become a poor outside shooter, but absolutely reject the allegation that he never was.  Just the facts.

Nice fairy tale, but the facts are different. In that season, Tony was making .362 of his jumpers and 0.242 of his triples (a career low so far). In fact, his numbers IMPROVED last season when he supposedly couldn't elevate and was recovering from his knee injury. It's amazing the legend that a couple of hot months created.

Sometimes Allen can get hot with a mid-range running/off-the-dribble jumper. He's streaky, but he can hit a number of them if he starts feeling it. His mechanics are atrocious and should be rebuild. It's been like this since his rookie season.